Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Need AF Adjust Help.

I can't afford to send my K-5 and Tamron lenses to be adjusted right now.

Is there a way to go beyond -10 without using the Adjust All?

Here's 2 shots at -10 70mm and 200mm. The focus in both was on the top of the 3rd pipe. Single Point AF, w/ No Recompose

70mm - https://www.flickr.com/photos/christrevinophotography/14017335362/

200mm - https://www.flickr.com/photos/christrevinophotography/14020964444/

Full Res +1.50 Exposure but no real changing to the files.

I need to go beyond -10 to -15 or more but I don't know if I can or if I will be stuck shooting my 2.8 lens at f/4 until I can afford to be without my gear and to have them adjusted.

So I ask again, is there a way to go beyond -10 without Adjust All? How much does it usually cost to have lenses micro adjusted? I have to send the camera and lenses right?

Do I send them to Pentax or Tamron? For all I know it could be the camera's AF that is off. Further testing with my other lenses will determine that later.

Last edited by ChrisTrevino; 04-26-2014 at 09:16 AM.
04-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You need PK Tether, but, at your own risk!!!!

Are either the body or lens new to you? When did this start? Did either the lens or body suffer any impact prior to this happening?

It would be Pentax, not Tamron to do the work, but you need to be aware that once the body is adjusted to work better with the Tamron lens this will impact any other lens you attach, and again, you might find that adjustment for the new lens is out or range.

Unless there's some actual fault with the camera af, this problem arises when the body and lens are at the same (- or +) end of their manufacturing tolerances.

Trying the lens with another body, or the body with another lens will give a different result, the point being that maybe changing the lens, even for another of the same make, etc, will give you improved af.
04-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
Is there a way to go beyond -10 without using the Adjust All?
We had a thread about this a while back. I don't believe the adjust all and individual settings are cumulative. If you do an Adjust All setting, the camera uses that for lenses that don't have an individual setting entered, otherwise it uses the Set One setting if one has been set for that lens. i.e.if you have Adjust All at -5, and put on a lens that you have set for -10, you don't get -15. you get -10.
Also, unless they've changed their policy, Pentax won't calibrate bodies to 3rd party lenses.
04-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250555-resurrect...ml#post2694117

You can adjust the focus adjust scale from the debug menu to get your lenses within the +/-10 allowance. I suggest you research the topic--do a search on these forums, as it's been much discussed.