Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Won't change from Jpeg

I have the K-5 II and normally shoot all raw, DNG format. I was taking pictures at a rugby game using my Vivitar 70-210mm f2.8-4.0 manual lens, "Catch-in-focus" method. About half way through the game I switched the file format to jpeg and continued shooting without any problems. About a week later I switched the lens back to my Pentax 18-135mm and then attempted to change the file format back to the raw file, but the "file format" selection is grayed out and cannot be selected. In the past I have changed back and forth between raw & jpeg without any problem, but now the camera will not let me select the raw format because of the grayed out "file selection." The camera is set to shoot in Av mode, sometimes Tv or manual. It is stuck in jpeg mode.

I have gone through the camera settings, reset some, but the camera menu still has the "file selection" & "raw" selection grayed out, only jpeg is available. I tried searching the forum, gone through the manual, but cannot find the answer.

I just remembered when I got home from the rugby game I had set up some User Mode settings in the camera. If I select one of the user modes the raw selection is available and not grayed out. But if I leave the user mode and select Av, then the raw selection is grayed out.

Last edited by Wingincamera; 04-28-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Add User mode info
04-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This can happen when you have certain settings that only allow jpeg, for example HDR or some filters.
04-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Might sound strange but put your manual lens back on and see if it allows you to change to RAW.
04-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

What Na Horuk said. But worst case, if you can't find the problem, you can always go into "reset all settings", and it should clear out whatever you've changed.

04-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you very much, that was the problem. I had changed & selected the "extended bracketing" and when I turned that off I was able to change to the raw format.

Again, thank you
04-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember you can still do bracketing with raw, you just have to choose it in the shot menu. I have mine mapped to the "raw" button on the front of the camera so when I hit that it goes from single/continuous/whatever to bracketed… which is fun when I hit it on accident, don't notice it, and get my shot, plus 4 ruined ones of the camera moving.

(And of course you have to put the shots together yourself, later, the camera won't do it for you)