Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #1

pentax k-5 need wide angle lens for fishing

hey guys ive done quit a bit of research and am pretty sure i want a k-5 because it seems to be a pretty decent dslr that is "weatherproof" i bought a pelican case to keep it in also because i am a fishing guide in alaska, camera will be in the boat all day long.

Last year a guy had one and i know he said it had a wide angle lens on it. but i dont know which one would be a good choice to get.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thank you

05-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go with the DA* 16-50mm. It's a premium lens so it's got dust sealing in addition to the moisture sealing in consumer WR lenses.

If you're on a tighter budget, another option would be the 18-135mm WR, or even the 18-55mm WR kit lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
yikes... deffently more money than i was hoping to spend i guess. i know good things are expensive hmmm
05-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
Emperor and Senpai

If on a budget the 18-135 sometimes dips down to the low $300 range here. I definitely recommend it.

Last edited by VoiceOfReason; 05-01-2014 at 07:12 PM.
05-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't really get the fishing/wide angle thing (the fish are so big you need a wide angle lens to get them all in the frame? ;~) but Adam's recommendations make sense to me.
05-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
i dunno it just seemed to make the pictures better than the standard camera i had last yr
05-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Fish eye lens fishing shots ?.....lol
05-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
no i mean i remember him saying fish eye lens just distorts things and makes it look like ur in a magnifing glass... i guess i will prolly be dropping the big bucks

05-02-2014, 04:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I don't really get the fishing/wide angle thing (the fish are so big you need a wide angle lens to get them all in the frame? ;~)
If you "zoom with your feet" on a small boat, you end up wet.
05-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Being an avid fisherman myself I presume you are going to taking photos of your clients while fishing in a smallish size boat? Food for thought, If you don't feel you absolutely need weatherproofing you might consider the SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL or Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM. Neither of these two are fisheye lenses and you would capture more of your clients and their fishing action while in close quarters. Maybe pick up an 18-55WR (the plastic mount are really inexpensive) for inclement weather and a wider angle for better weather while drifting or anchored.
05-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Used prices are much cheaper, especially with the DA*16-50. The Marketplace on this site, KEH, and Amazon (as well as B&H or Adorama sometimes) are all places you might look for used lenses.

Your cheapest set would be be the WR K-50 with two WR kit lenses - about $650 at Costco. The sensor (and the Image Quality) is the same as the K-5, and the Auto Focus is even better (since it's newer than the K-5).

The lenses are basic, but they have WR and they do the job, and they're not very expensive. If you later find you want even better IQ, or need to go wider than 18mm, you can add to or upgrade the lenses. The DA18-135 WR gives better IQ, and the DA*16-50 (also weather sealed) is even better than that.

If wider is still needed, you're not going to find a weather sealed lens, but you have a few additional options. The Tamron 10-24 is about the cheapest in a zoom, and while the IQ is not good enough for most pros, many users are happy with it. The Pentax DA15 is and excellent, small, and light lens with beautifully vivid colors in the resulting images (but not unnatural, at least to my eyes). The DA10-17 yields similar nice colors with very wide angles, and can be zoomed to vary from a from a noticeable fisheye effect to almost no distortion, and anywhere in-between.

The Samyang (also sold under Rokinon, Vivitar, and some other brands) 16/2, 14/2.8, and 10/2.8 are good, "moderately priced" lenses (all wide-angles are expensive) as well.

I have one other idea. Even though it's not WR, it may be ideal otherwise. This Q7 kit has all four lenses a person would normally need, including the only truly wide lens available (as far as I know) in a compact camera. The complete kit is $1200 including all the accessories one normally needs. It's available for pre-order now, and was supposed to be available by the end of April, so it will probably ship within a few weeks. The IQ is nice, it's complete, and it's compact.

Pentax Q7 Premium Kit Announced - Pentax News- Pentax Camera Forums

If you still want to go with the larger camera, take a look at these places for the IQ that's possible from various lenses. The first two are the lenses that come with the Costco K-50 kit, so they may be all you need:

PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model
PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

And the Tamron 10-24: Advanced Search

Pentax smc P-DA Fish-Eye 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Lens Sample Photos and Specifications
05-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Sounds like an interesting job!
Well if you are buying the K-5 there is a good chance you will get it with a DA 18-55mm kit lens. Make sure the 18-55mm lens is WR (there are a couple different versions). Its not the best lens, but it doesn't cost much and has basic WR. 18mm isn't ultra wide, but it is pretty wide! Its a good starting point.
People often recommend third party lenses for the wide angle (Tamron, Sigma, Samyang), but third party lenses don't come in WR! It might not be a bad idea to get something like a Sigma 10-20mm (not too expensive for such a wide angle, well-liked on this forum) or Tamron 17-50mm (fairly wide, but can also be used for portraits and low-light. Not the best build, but good optics) and also a Waterproof case. Just make sure it fits the camera and lens combination
05-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Since WR isn't an option when you go wider than 16mm, just wipe the lens off if it gets splashed. The body is still protected (except right on the lens mount, if the lens doesn't have a rubber seal on it there). The chance of damage is minimal most of the time. If it rains, just use a plastic rain bag if a WR lens isn't on the camera at the time. But the WR lenses are handy the rest of the time.

If it's salt water, then be a little more careful with the non-WR lens. With a WR lens, just gently rinse camera and lens together (lens still attached, of course) with fresh water after exposure to salt water.
05-03-2014, 04:36 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Possibly consider the use of the op/tech rain sleeve if you get a non WR lens. It doesn't make it water resistant really, but it helps.
05-04-2014, 05:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

i would just get the 18-55 or 18-135 WR, pentax really could use a WR ultra wide, the rumor is the new ultra wide will be WR.