Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Got my K-5 iis

Hi Folks,
After getting some questions answered here I ordered the K-5 iis and received it yesterday evening (purchased from B&H).
Threw the battery into the charger and did everything I could in coaxing that charger light to turn off. At my age you would think that I should have the patience of a Saint (69). NOT! 51/2 hours to charge a battery! Come on Pentax, give me a break! 5 1/2 hours is so 90's of them, I thought technology had advanced better then that (just kidding I think).
By the time it was ready I was too tired to do anything after reading the manual so went to bed.

Took a picture this morning, uploaded to the Pentax Forum shutter count program to check shutter count and mfg. date. Felt good to see a shutter count of 1.
I did not realize the extent of the features in this camera vs my tired K-10D so I may have some questions and recommendations from you folks. Wow, that menu list is long.

One question I have off the bat. I always had center focus selected on the K-10D because I could not trust it's selections 90% of the time so what do you folks use most of the time?

Steven

05-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If you keep the center point focus, you can have 100% confidence in your selection.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 12-03-2014 at 09:19 PM.
05-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Eneloops take much longer to charge
05-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steven363 Quote
Hi Folks,
After getting some questions answered here I ordered the K-5 iis and received it yesterday evening (purchased from B&H).
Threw the battery into the charger and did everything I could in coaxing that charger light to turn off. At my age you would think that I should have the patience of a Saint (69). NOT! 51/2 hours to charge a battery! Come on Pentax, give me a break! 5 1/2 hours is so 90's of them, I thought technology had advanced better then that (just kidding I think).
By the time it was ready I was too tired to do anything after reading the manual so went to bed.

Took a picture this morning, uploaded to the Pentax Forum shutter count program to check shutter count and mfg. date. Felt good to see a shutter count of 1.
I did not realize the extent of the features in this camera vs my tired K-10D so I may have some questions and recommendations from you folks. Wow, that menu list is long.

One question I have off the bat. I always had center focus selected on the K-10D because I could not trust it's selections 90% of the time so what do you folks use most of the time?

Steven
Getting a new camera is a good tme to try moving to using the AF "thumb" button on the back to auto focus instead of the half shutter press.......see. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html

Also....I wonder if there is an upsell opportunity for shipping a fully charged battery for a fee?...would you pay $10 more to be able to play with your new camera immediately?

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-01-2014 at 11:44 PM.
05-02-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Eneloops take much longer to charge
Not if you use some of the better intelligent chargers...
05-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Getting a new camera is a good tme to try moving to using the AF "thumb" button on the back to auto focus instead of the half shutter press.......see. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html

Also....I wonder if there is an upsell opportunity for shipping a fully charged battery for a fee?...would you pay $10 more to be able to play with your new camera immediately?
I agree on AF on back button, but I use it only for sports/action shots...
05-02-2014, 12:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steven363 Quote
Hi Folks,

Steven
You're lucky mine had about 5500 clicks on it, everything seemed brand new, and is working as it should though If I take portraits, select works fine, Center focus for all else
05-02-2014, 12:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Not if you use some of the better intelligent chargers...
I use the wall charger supplied with the Eneloops. Not intelligent of me?
Clue me in please

05-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It's actually better for a battery to charge slowly. That said, it's really useful that my phone charges at about 1% per minute .
05-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I use the wall charger supplied with the Eneloops. Not intelligent of me?
Clue me in please
Amazon.com : Powerex Maha MH-C801D Eight Cell 1-Hr PRO AA/AAA Charger : Digital Camera Battery Chargers : Camera & Photo
05-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Or
05-02-2014, 02:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Battery Charging Tips, for NiMH batteries and others
05-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks, but I'm not about to spend $80 on a charger that [may] save me a couple hours wait time when I already have a charger that does the job of recharging. I'm not fussed over how long the eneloops take to charge, was just a comparative comment for the OP who considers 4-5 hours unreasonable (which is actually a good time).
My solution like many others is to have spare batteries to use while depleted ones are recharged. It's a non-issue to me.
05-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Replys.

Brooke Meyer: Stunning photo. I really enjoyed it, Thanks. I had been using center focus on the k-10 for the last 5 years and probably will continue to do so with the K-5 iis
Steve.Ledger: Eneloops? Those are AA's right? I do not have the grip yet so the D-L190's is it for now. I just received my backup battery today.
noelpolar: I have been using the AF button for focusing the K-10 for about 4 years now and love it, still, in order to find the short comings I will try all of the focus settings in the new camera.
altopiet: I feel fortunate about having this camera as I find time I have been trying everything from high ISO to movie so I could check the functions and learn about it. I am amazed at the job it's doing.
Steve.Ledger Couple of things here. I have a backup battery for the camera but when I charged the original I did not know when I would receive the backup and with me playing around learning settings and shooting was not sure how long it would last. As luck would have it the spare showed up today. It is a Wasibi (Probably spelled it wrong) and it charged up in about 2 1/2 hours on the Pentax charger.

I am having a field day with this rig and can't wait until I can feel comfortable with my settings and where everything is located. Thanks.
I will be asking some questions as I go along.
05-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Center focus most of the time. When I'm following action, I usually hold the back AF button.