Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

Problems viewing photos exported from Lightroom

I thought this would be simple, but it's not. I am trying to copy photos from Lightroom back to an SD card to view on the K-5II through the HDMI cable to my TV. The files were imported from the K-5II to LR, then exported to an SD card which I formatted in the camera, converting to JPEG during export. None of the files are readable on the camera.

What export settings should I be using, or is there a specific subfolder the files should be in?

05-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the camera only looks in the DCM folder? I think that's right. Look on your card and you should have a single folder called DCM or something close to that.

A quick way to do this would be to put the card in the camera and take a shot. Then put the card in the computer and find where the camera put that file. Copy all your other jpegs into that folder and it should work.

Best
05-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think the camera only looks in the DCM folder? I think that's right. Look on your card and you should have a single folder called DCM or something close to that.

A quick way to do this would be to put the card in the camera and take a shot. Then put the card in the computer and find where the camera put that file. Copy all your other jpegs into that folder and it should work.

Best
I tried that - it did not work.
05-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, tried it on my k-3 and it did not work for me either. Maybe the images have to be in an index the camera creates? Or maybe there is something written to the jpeg the camera looks for before displaying.

Sorry I cannot help more.

05-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #5

From the computer there should be a DCIM folder and subfolders under there.

Ok, on my K-10D - don't know how much of this will pertain to the K5ii - the subfolders have to use the numbering convention in the camera settings. I have mine set to use dates - the format on my K10D is a 3 digit number underscore month date - e.g. 123_0518. The first 3 digits is a sequential number and as long as I have a folder there it will increment. As long as there are files in a folder it will stay there. Empty folders get deleted. If there are no folders the number starts at 100.

In the standard folder name it is a three digit number followed by the letters PENTX - e.g. 100PENTX. The number again is sequential and new folders get added when there are x number of files in the folder. I don't know the threshold on number of files per folder.

It looks like (at least on the K10D) any file ending with extension .DNG, .PEF or .JPG will get listed. However it would not display JPEGs that were edited in Photoshop 7. I did not try JPEGs edited in PDCU 4. The K5ii may behave differently.

Summary - on the K10D - folders in the DCIM folder will show up if they are named in the format nnn_MMDD or nnnPENTX - where n = number 0-9, MM = month, DD = Date.
05-19-2014, 05:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
From the computer there should be a DCIM folder and subfolders under there.

Ok, on my K-10D - don't know how much of this will pertain to the K5ii - the subfolders have to use the numbering convention in the camera settings. I have mine set to use dates - the format on my K10D is a 3 digit number underscore month date - e.g. 123_0518. The first 3 digits is a sequential number and as long as I have a folder there it will increment. As long as there are files in a folder it will stay there. Empty folders get deleted. If there are no folders the number starts at 100.

In the standard folder name it is a three digit number followed by the letters PENTX - e.g. 100PENTX. The number again is sequential and new folders get added when there are x number of files in the folder. I don't know the threshold on number of files per folder.

It looks like (at least on the K10D) any file ending with extension .DNG, .PEF or .JPG will get listed. However it would not display JPEGs that were edited in Photoshop 7. I did not try JPEGs edited in PDCU 4. The K5ii may behave differently.

Summary - on the K10D - folders in the DCIM folder will show up if they are named in the format nnn_MMDD or nnnPENTX - where n = number 0-9, MM = month, DD = Date.
Thanks for the help. I may try to just copy the unedited .DNG files to the subfolder - not sure why the camera will not display edited JPEGs... so much for standards.
05-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #7

FWIW - PEF and DNG files will show up and can be viewed as long as they are placed in a folder that follows the naming conventions in the DCIM folder. I haven't tried editing a DNG first. PEFs don't matter since the edit data is stored in the XMP file.