Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 04:28 AM   #1

Memory Card Error On K-5

I bought from ebay 32GB Micro SD SDHC TF Flash Class 10 (Kingston) , My Pentak K5 has 1.16 Firmware , which is latest one.

During i insert the card machine not reading the card ( Orange Led not blinking) and comes Memory Card Error Message.

I try the card in my pc working fine.

I format it couple of times , no change...

I try the card on my Pentax K10D working fine It is shows 2009 picture memory in RAW . This is great. I take couple pictures even.

Card working ,,

But not in K5 ?

On K5 i try 4 GB Kingston Class 4 working fine.

any idea ? Maybe i need lower firmware or some different format.

Thanks all

05-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried formatting it with the k-5 ?
05-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #3

Maybe the card is counterfeit. There are lots of them for sale on Amazon. I wouldn't doubt there are many on eBay too.
05-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Have you tried formatting it with the k-5 ?
K-5 not give even to format the card. Just not working

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Maybe the card is counterfeit. There are lots of them for sale on Amazon. I wouldn't doubt there are many on eBay too.
If this is counterfeit , why is working on my PC and Pentax K10D ? i don't think that, Pentax add into K5 counterfeit memory card sensor.

05-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Could just be a compatibility thing. I started with a 16GB Class 10 Hoodman, and it errored out all of the time in my K-50. Traded it with a friend that shoots a Canon 7D -- works like a champ. He's been using it without incident for the past 3 months. I had formatted multiple times with the K-50, and it didn't help. Are you able to return it?
05-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

any chance that your upgrade to the latest firmware not completed properly? Can you try to reload the firmware? I also have the k-5 and ver 1.16... I have no problem with SDHC card (which by the way requires the device to support and compatible with SD 2.00 specification -should be in the new firmware). Just a thought...
05-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Could just be a compatibility thing. I started with a 16GB Class 10 Hoodman, and it errored out all of the time in my K-50. Traded it with a friend that shoots a Canon 7D -- works like a champ. He's been using it without incident for the past 3 months. I had formatted multiple times with the K-50, and it didn't help. Are you able to return it?
I can return but this is not correct , seller has no fault , card working on different pentax or PC. I can give some one to make exchange even.

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
any chance that your upgrade to the latest firmware not completed properly? Can you try to reload the firmware? I also have the k-5 and ver 1.16... I have no problem with SDHC card (which by the way requires the device to support and compatible with SD 2.00 specification -should be in the new firmware). Just a thought...
I think Pentax K-10D and Pentax K-5 CPU and card reader program totally different. This is why card working on K10D without any problem. I will try lower firmware from beginning. Maybe i can catch something.

05-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zeda3000 Quote

I think Pentax K-10D and Pentax K-5 CPU and card reader program totally different. This is why card working on K10D without any problem. I will try lower firmware from beginning. Maybe i can catch something.
But I have 3 different brands "Lexar platinum, Lexar gold 400x and Silicon Power" of 32GB SDHC cards - all work fine on my k-5. So...the only possible difference is the Kingston brand?
05-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Do not buy memory cards from ebay its just to risky,They sell alot of fakes.
A fake can work in some hardware but not in others, its random.
05-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KRaZiGLiTcH Quote
Do not buy memory cards from ebay its just to risky,They sell alot of fakes.
A fake can work in some hardware but not in others, its random.
If this is fake, should be not work on my K10D or PC . Card working perfectly on all devices , just not working on K5.

I belive problem on Pentax and not on memory card.

I am try to downgrade my firmware, but i cant do that. I want to try all firmwares step by step.

Any idea how i can downgrade the firmware?

Thanks.
05-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #11

If this is fake, should be not work on my K10D or PC . Card working perfectly on all devices , just not working on K5.

I am try to downgrade my firmware, but i cant do that. I want to try all firmwares step by step.

Thanks.
Trying to downgrade firmware is risky as well as it could mess up and freeze.

also i do not know how to downgrade.
05-23-2014, 04:16 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks all

I order diffrent brand name 32gb , this one i put into my BB Z10 mobile phone. Work fine and i have needless 32 gb free storage in my device
05-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #13

K-5 not give even to format the card. Just not working

If this is counterfeit , why is working on my PC and Pentax K10D ? i don't think that, Pentax add into K5 counterfeit memory card sensor.

There are a number of reasons why a counterfeit card may work in some devices and not others. Mainly they are not made with the same quality control as a major brand genuine card. For instance the card may have more correctable and in-correctable memory errors that genuine manufacturers would have rejected the card. Or the voltage tolerances might be outside the specifications for the interface. The K5 card slot could supply voltages that are within specifications for SD cards but outside what will work for this card. That's why it is why cheaper quality cards work in some devices and not others. That's why cheap card readers work with some cards and not others.

Thanks.
As far as I know and from what everybody else that asked the same has been told it is not possible outside the factory.
05-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #14

Original Poster
As i told you before , i have Sony Vaio computer , Using Blackberry Z10 and also additionally i have K10D . Which is mobile phone and Vaio devices has much more better card reading technology against the Pentax K5. I bought from Ebay Kingston 32 Gb Class 10 , which is we can't call the Kingston brand name cheap card.

I found somewhere other kingston micro sd 4 gb class 2 also doesn't work on my Pentax K5.

This is completely approve it, Pentax K5 not updated enough for all type of SD cards in market.

If SD card working in 5 different devices and not only K5 . This is not memory card fault , this is Pentax K5 fault.

Now i order different brand name card. But seems like Pentax not supported Kingston Micro SD Cards. I am not suggest any one to but this card for K5 , until K5 will pop up new firmware.
05-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There are a number of reasons why a counterfeit card may work in some devices and not others. Mainly they are not made with the same quality control as a major brand genuine card. For instance the card may have more correctable and in-correctable memory errors that genuine manufacturers would have rejected the card. Or the voltage tolerances might be outside the specifications for the interface. The K5 card slot could supply voltages that are within specifications for SD cards but outside what will work for this card. That's why it is why cheaper quality cards work in some devices and not others. That's why cheap card readers work with some cards and not others.

As far as I know and from what everybody else that asked the same has been told it is not possible outside the factory.
That is very true,That is why people should only buy SD cards from approved resellers and not from ebay.