Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Rolling something or other k-5 II s Movie Mode

Hi Folks,
After getting my new k-5II s in I charged the battery, went out and shot a bunch of pictures the next day and am in love with the camera. I even shot a 3 minute movie in a park and was satisfied with it not knowing a thing about movie mode.

The other day I read the manual on movie mode (not being a movie mogul) , set up an LED 100 watt bulb (equivalent), Used a black background, and used an etched crystal glass moving it around to show the etched portion.
When I played it I noticed a rolling action on the monitor. The best way to describe it is if you are watching TV and there is a TV playing (on the program you are watching) you see some kind of rolling of the exposure, almost like the frequency is off kilter.
I really don't know if I am explaining this right as I tried to search the forums for this problem but kept running into something about jelly or something (told you I'm not a movie person).
My setting were all set for HD and f8 was my aperture setting.
Does anyone know of a way to get rid of this either through the camera settings or PP?

Thanks,
Steven

06-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post an example? An LED light might also be suspect, though some are intended for video.
06-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steven363 Quote
Hi Folks,
After getting my new k-5II s in I charged the battery, went out and shot a bunch of pictures the next day and am in love with the camera. I even shot a 3 minute movie in a park and was satisfied with it not knowing a thing about movie mode.

The other day I read the manual on movie mode (not being a movie mogul) , set up an LED 100 watt bulb (equivalent), Used a black background, and used an etched crystal glass moving it around to show the etched portion.
When I played it I noticed a rolling action on the monitor. The best way to describe it is if you are watching TV and there is a TV playing (on the program you are watching) you see some kind of rolling of the exposure, almost like the frequency is off kilter.
I really don't know if I am explaining this right as I tried to search the forums for this problem but kept running into something about jelly or something (told you I'm not a movie person).
My setting were all set for HD and f8 was my aperture setting.
Does anyone know of a way to get rid of this either through the camera settings or PP?

Thanks,
Steven
That's just flicker on the LCD screen. I don't believe the K-5 as a flicker reduction option in the menu, but newer cameras do.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2014, 04:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
As for examples I deleted the movie after seeing the flicker both on the LCD screen on the camera as well as my monitor.
I will be experimenting with different light sources today (except daylight as there is no problems) and will report back this evening.
Thank you for setting me straight on the terminolgy.
After many years in photography going back to the early 60's this is my first experience with movies and I can see some uses for it in my all around photography so I want to see if I can beat this flickering problem working indoors.

06-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
OK, I was able to get rid of the flicker.
What I did was change from full HD which is 1920 x 1080 pixels, 16:9 aspect ratio, frame rate 25 feet per second to
HD, 1280 x 720 pixels, 16:9 aspect ratio, 30 fps. I knew that changing to 25 fps was going to give me the same problem and in fact switched to it and it was confirmed as the flickering was back.
Funny thing though, When I switched back to full HD after recording in HD 30 fps the flickering was gone. Turned the camera off then on again and the flickering was back so I am beginning to wonder if the camera is complicit in some of this.
Details of the bulb I am using:
Utilitech Pro, PAR 38 flood indoor/outdoor reflector, LED bulb
It is balanced for natural daylight @ 5000K, rated 23 watts equal to 120 watts, with a brightness of 1400 lumens and I purchased it at Lowes Home Center.
If there are any other questions feel free to ask.

Steven
06-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steven363 Quote
frame rate 25 feet per second
I think you mean 'frames per second'
Change your shutter speed to 1/50 or 1/100 if you're shooting at 25fps - and you shouldn't have thought you'd be getting the interference from anything but flouro lights.