Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #1

Pentax k5 vs sony a77

Hi,
I have I chance to exchange my Pentax k 5 bought for new last year, 2500 auctations for a siny a77 p( just body), 5100 clicks. Do you advice me to do this, or not? I haven't invest yet in Pentax gear and I like every much the autofocus during video on sony a77. I know both camera have their strong and weak points, Pentax is better in low light, but no autofocus during video mode( only 5 min video).. A77 I think is very good till 1600 ISO, then the noise starts to be a pain.
But I don't do many low light photos...

What would you do? I won't use very very much the video mode on dslr, but would be great to have it in certain situations? Also, I saw that lens for sony( except Carl zeeis) are pretty cheap( I refer here to Sam 35 50 and even the 11-18).
I liked my Pentax till now, but expensive lens are a draw back for me, also 3d party lens are much expensive for Pentax then other brands.

I need 3-4 lens( which I will buy it gradually), a very wide one, a 35-40, a very fast one and a tele. If I decide to stick with Pentax, which lens should I buy first( really like portraits, landscape and city/architectural photography). My budget is not to big, that's why I intend to buy those lens sh.

Thanks

06-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sony does have a lot of well priced, and well regarded, prime lenses. The quality nowhere near approaches the quality of the Pentax limiteds, but not everyone can afford those gems. Sony also has a lot of legacy AF glass, like Pentax, that you can use. The Minolta 'Beercan' 70-210/4 is a great lens, for the price. Where Pentax shines over the Sony is build quality and interface. The K-5 is a photographer minded camera. The DA35 and the DA50 are also pretty cheap, especially when they are on sale. You can buy a Sigma 10-20(or the new Samyang 10/2.8) for the wide end and a used DA55-300 for your telephoto, so you can put together a good bargain kit that will give you great quality.
06-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The K-5 is a photographer minded camera. The DA35 and the DA50 are also pretty cheap, especially when they are on sale. You can buy a Sigma 10-20 for the wide end and a used DA55-300 for your telephoto, so you can put together a good bargain kit that will give you great quality.
I think this is great advice. Probably the least expensive way to build a nice, quality kit.

QuoteOriginally posted by pitagora Quote
I like every much the autofocus during video on sony a77
As far as AF for video goes - do you really want it? I'm no videographer, but I've seen plenty of amateur (and plenty of pro) videos where the focus was visibly hunting. It is extremely distracting and takes your mind off the subject matter immediately. It breaks the flow. I don't use AF much even for still shots, but I'd certainly never, ever use it for video. Just my take on it...
06-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
I think this is great advice. Probably the least expensive way to build a nice, quality kit.

As far as AF for video goes - do you really want it? I'm no videographer, but I've seen plenty of amateur (and plenty of pro) videos where the focus was visibly hunting. It is extremely distracting and takes your mind off the subject matter immediately. It breaks the flow. I don't use AF much even for still shots, but I'd certainly never, ever use it for video. Just my take on it...
That's the thing the AF in Video on the Sony doesn't hunt. It's not at all like Pentax or a typical dslr doing video.

Personally I'm a big fan of the flippy screen, especially nice if you are going to do video. I'd switch for the Sony if you think you can live with the EVF. Some like it, some don't.

06-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I'd switch for the Sony if you think you can live with the EVF. Some like it, some don't.
My favorite feature of the EVF is the built in level, it's amazing, and something no DSLR can match.

He said he wasn't going to use the video a lot, so I don't know how much he should take that into consideration. That's up to him to decide, but it's certainly a better video camera.
06-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems confusing in that the Sony features the OP likes are the video ones but then says he does little video.
I am sure either system will take good images so you need to look at the features of both to see what you need.

I would not make that trade because I prefer the Pentax fit and feel, button placement and so on.

Try holding and shooting with both, keep the one that feels right.
06-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
I said, I won't use the video mode to much, but when I will do will be a pleasure to use it, cause it's so sharp and precise. But I am a bit concern if I go for a77 regarding the poor performance at high ISO. Sometimes rise the ISO helps me get a good exposure when I shoot actions and fast subjects, and I saw sony a77 images are useless after ISO 3200( in my opinion), but Pentax struggles fine till 6400-12800. Also can you tach me how can I get the right settings in the meniu in order to let me chose exactly what ISO I need( for example on my currently settings ISO is from 50-100-200-400-800-1600-3200-6400-12 800-25 600) I would like to be able to select ISO 150, or 250 sometimes but can't figure how to do this.

Also can you please tell me if you use noise reduction and other features like barrel distortion, lens correctio, or should I let them on default?

06-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My favorite feature of the EVF is the built in level, it's amazing, and something no DSLR can match.

My K-3 has a built-in level, in both the optical viewfinder, AND on the rear LCD.
06-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My K-3 has a built-in level, in both the optical viewfinder, AND on the rear LCD.
The LCD level is closer, but imagine having that same level in the viewfinder. The OVF level is rubbish by comparison. Both types of finders have their place though.
06-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep the K5 and buy a Sony video camera
06-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The LCD level is closer, but imagine having that same level in the viewfinder. The OVF level is rubbish by comparison. Both types of finders have their place though.
C'mon...really? It's a level! Just a bar that tells you how close you are to falling off the planet. How can it be 'rubbish'?
06-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

C'mon...really? It's a level! Just a bar that tells you how close you are to falling off the planet. How can it be 'rubbish'?
It's not a bar in the EVF, it's a full 3d level that's quick and easy to read. I, for one, love it. To each his own, I guess. I have cameras without the feature, but I often miss it when I'm shooting with them. However, it's not just the level, the whole HUD can be pretty slick in an EVF.
06-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My budget is not to big, that's why I intend to buy those lens sh.
Here is an honest opinion:

1. Sony A77 is a fantastic camera. Very fast and a great camera.

2. The fact that it hides 1 STOP of light through the translucent mirror (SLT) I would not buy it. Regardless how amazing it is.

3. EVF is very slow in dark. (Remember a person looks through a optical view finder and a digital view finder is too bright to look at for longer durations.)

4. You would be changing systems from Pentax to Sony, you mentioned budget is a constraint. Specially lenses.

I would recommend a refurbished / used (If you can find) new Pentax K-3 (Body only). It will be an upgrade you will not regret.

Your choice and money in the end. Good luck.

---------- Post added 06-13-14 at 10:36 PM ----------

Pentax is expensive but Sigma is coming up with great pro choices for budget lenses.

---------- Post added 06-13-14 at 10:38 PM ----------

Just remember one thing the 1 Stop light is used to reflect through the Translucent mirror into the Electronic viewfinder. It always stays on. It internally cranks up the exposure to compensate for that.

Cheers!
06-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
LOL... Jim you forgot the level on the top LCD
Duh...that I did. My camera is straighter than I am!
06-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I would like to be able to select ISO 150, or 250 sometimes but can't figure how to do this.

You can change it in the "Custom Menu" by changing the "Sensitivity Steps" to option 2. It wont give you 150.

Also can you please tell me if you use noise reduction and other features like barrel distortion, lens correctio, or should I let them on default?
For noise reduction it depends on if your shooting Jpeg or raw, also how well your post processing software is at removing noise. Lens and CA correction set to off unless your post processing software doesn't have the feature to adjust for them. There is no absolute on what camera settings to use or not use. You learn with time what to use for different situations you encounter and what serves your purpose for most of your shooting needs..