Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Multi Segment v. Average Metering

I guess a newbie question?

So my k-5 will do 77 multi segment metering. Does that mean that each sensor exposes the corresponding pixels to what it determines is best exposure for those pixels? Or, does it simply average the exposure over all the segments and the camera shoots at that average? If it averages over all segments how is that any better, or different, from my old Pentax film cameras that averaged over the entire frame and exposed accordingly?

Thanks!

06-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It averages all the segments (occasionally applying weights) and determines the optimal exposure for the whole image. Old pentax film cameras generally only provided spot metering, or the EV in the very center of the frame. In other words, if you had something very bright in the center of the viewfinder and went with the light meter's recommendation, the whole image would be under-exposure. This wouldn't be the case with modern matrix metering, though you occasionally still need to use exposure compensation to fine-tune the camera's suggestion.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Old pentax film cameras generally only provided spot metering,
They had center-weighted metering, which gave priority to the center of the frame. Multi-segment metering is a little smarter, because the on-board computer can look up the metering pattern in a database of known 'scenes'. It knows that a bright upper third of the frame is the sky, for example, and weighs it accordingly to avoid underexposing the foreground. In most situations, multi-segment works fairly well.
06-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks folks!