Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 304
Ok

I understand what you are saying. There is a difference between the way camera is metering between Live View and through OVF.

I would mention that sometimes, metering values change between the amount of time you kept the camera to analyze the picture.

So for example if you take a picture at the very first second and then waiting for couple of seconds, camera had better time to analyze the light coming through and metering values change.

So that can happen as well and I am sure you are aware of it.

You might also have noticed that the first thing after switching to Live View the LCD blasts with light and then comes back to normal.

So yes Live View may over-expose on purpose.

Having said all this, I would say send it to repair center or if you can get hands on a second K-5 II and see if it behaves in the same way (I am partly convinced that it will).

Cheers!

06-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
Posts: 1,234
QuoteOriginally posted by Apost. Quote
i agree these pictures are perfectly usable, i uploaded them in order to show the difference in metering between the ovf and live view.
I just switched to live view and took the picture again, there should not be any difference in metering, yet the camera underexposed a bit the second shot which is with the ovf.

Keep in mind that this shot was made in good lighting conditions (EV7), as the light levels drop the camera underexposes through the ovf even worse, as shown in the first set of pictures.

I am not looking for problems but i expect a properly exposed shot in dim light (EV2-3) and not a dark frame.
I repeat that even close to EV0 the camera nails the exposure through live view.
I've found .3 to .7 adjustment is pretty normal for Digital slr's metering and will vary between using multi metering to spot meter. It isn't the viewscreen I use that same one on my k5 ll's

Contrast detect using Live view will show a slightly increased exposure over Phase detect when using OVF. Did you try shooting those in auto or P mode with auto ISO.. If it still does underexpose by that much letting your camera auto select the exposure settings then there may be a problem. If you were using AV mode then you might have improperly selected your fstop for the available light and your camera couldn't compensate for that. Seeing the Exif info would help a lot in trying to help you.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-17-2014 at 10:14 AM.
06-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #18
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Ok

I understand what you are saying. There is a difference between the way camera is metering between Live View and through OVF.

I would mention that sometimes, metering values change between the amount of time you kept the camera to analyze the picture.

So for example if you take a picture at the very first second and then waiting for couple of seconds, camera had better time to analyze the light coming through and metering values change.

So that can happen as well and I am sure you are aware of it.

You might also have noticed that the first thing after switching to Live View the LCD blasts with light and then comes back to normal.

So yes Live View may over-expose on purpose.

Having said all this, I would say send it to repair center or if you can get hands on a second K-5 II and see if it behaves in the same way (I am partly convinced that it will).

Cheers!
i understand your point but the outcome is repeatable and not random.
QuoteQuote:
I've found .3 to .7 adjustment is pretty normal for Digital slr's metering and will vary between using multi metering to spot meter. It isn't the viewscreen I use that same one on my k5 ll's

Contrast detect using Live view will show a slightly increased exposure over Phase detect when using OVF. Did you try shooting those in auto or P mode with auto ISO.. If it still does underexpose by that much letting your camera auto select the exposure settings then there may be a problem. If you were using AV mode then you might have improperly selected your fstop for the available light and your camera couldn't compensate for that. Seeing the Exif info would help a lot in trying to help you.

Last edited by Apost.; 10-13-2014 at 06:16 AM.
06-18-2014, 04:08 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
Posts: 1,234
Good Move... I suggest sending your 18-55mm with the camera as they will calibrate it to your camera also.

06-25-2014, 04:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nebraska
Photos: Albums
Posts: 789
I have had the same problem from my k5II. I have not been happy with it. My k5 was so much better with color, exposure wasn't even close, and I just liked the output better.
06-25-2014, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #21
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14
Original Poster
Update:
Sevice center called me today, they said they have not seen this type of behavior before, so they don't know what's wrong, but they will look into it.
Warranty expires in just three days so i guess i did the right thing.
07-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #22
Senior Member
pentaxian_tmb's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 283
Having same problem. Odd thing is that everything looks properly exposed when reviewing in camera
07-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #23
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 328
I checked my new K5II and my Live view is darker than the evf pics even with identical settings, the problem I have is it overexposes with the OVF. Blows out highlights very easily, seems that
the metering is too sensitive so I have the Low key adjust set to -4 outside.
My old Kx does not do this and is always spot on, wish this cam had a way to adjust the metering like The Nikon D300 or even the OMD m4/3 cams. I could just set it the way I want it.
The best setting I have found is 1/2 EV steps, Sensitivity as EV steps. Now at least the metering matches the live view ones.
Going to have to try changing the focus screen like on my K10..

---------- Post added 07-13-14 at 07:30 PM ----------

Update, looking into the focus idea I noticed the mirror had a light haze on it like a little foggy so I wiped it off and it changed the metering
Was at f4 40 at iso 1600 changed to 50 at iso 1600, matching my Kx ???
Will try in the Sun next.

08-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #24
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Hi, Apost.
I'm facing the same annoying issue with my Pentax K-30 camera(Here is a video that demonstrate the problem:
), exactly same issue that what ever I settle the metering mode or shoot mode, the exposure is incorrect. And I also tried to update firmware or change lens etc.. None of them works. I think I will send to repair center...
Keep in touch, I want to know your processing.
08-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,136
QuoteOriginally posted by SpanishCake Quote
Hi, Apost.
I'm facing the same annoying issue with my Pentax K-30 camera(Here is a video that demonstrate the problem: Pentax K-30 My camera got problem with AE metering - YouTube), exactly same issue that what ever I settle the metering mode or shoot mode, the exposure is incorrect. And I also tried to update firmware or change lens etc.. None of them works. I think I will send to repair center...
Keep in touch, I want to know your processing.
You are in the center-weighted metering mode. Since you're pointing the camera at something dark, the camera will underexposure. To fix the issue, set the camera to matrix metering (the green one) and you'll be all set. There's nothing wrong with the camera, fortunately

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #26
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You are in the center-weighted metering mode. Since you're pointing the camera at something dark, the camera will underexposure. To fix the issue, set the camera to matrix metering (the green one) and you'll be all set. There's nothing wrong with the camera, fortunately
No. I tried each metering mode. None of them exporsure normal.
08-12-2014, 01:08 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,136
QuoteOriginally posted by SpanishCake Quote
No. I tried each metering mode. None of them exporsure normal.
Does this happen all the time, or just in the scenario above? For starters, do switch to matrix metering. In the test scenario above you have something really bright and really dark in the frame, which can easily throw off the light meter (though theoretically it shouldn't be off by that much due to the matrix weighting algorithm). Try turning the camera 180 degrees and take a snap of the rest of your room, as that should work much better.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #28
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14
Original Poster
Hello SpanishCake

it seems like your camera sometimes exposes for the dark room and sometimes for the bright window.
i do not know if that should happen given you have selected center weighted average (i think your camera should always expose for the dark room since the window is at the edge of the frame.)
Repeat the test while pointing the camera to an evenly lit surface (like a wall)
If you see the same behavior your camera may need servicing.

However this is not the same problem as mine.
My problem was that the metering values did not match between ovf and LV (LV metering was correct while ovf metering underexposed)
The camera is still (exclamation mark) at the service center. (don't know if they forgot about it or what. i will give them a call)
08-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #29
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Does this happen all the time, or just in the scenario above? For starters, do switch to matrix metering. In the test scenario above you have something really bright and really dark in the frame, which can easily throw off the light meter (though theoretically it shouldn't be off by that much due to the matrix weighting algorithm). Try turning the camera 180 degrees and take a snap of the rest of your room, as that should work much better.
Thanks for attention. It happens at most of time. Before 2 months ago, it wasn't like this. I tried matrix metering but got same results as well, I think mine problem is because the metering system and it needs to adjustment. Going to service center this weekend.
08-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #30
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by Apost. Quote
Hello SpanishCake

it seems like your camera sometimes exposes for the dark room and sometimes for the bright window.
i do not know if that should happen given you have selected center weighted average (i think your camera should always expose for the dark room since the window is at the edge of the frame.)
Repeat the test while pointing the camera to an evenly lit surface (like a wall)
If you see the same behavior your camera may need servicing.

However this is not the same problem as mine.
My problem was that the metering values did not match between ovf and LV (LV metering was correct while ovf metering underexposed)
The camera is still (exclamation mark) at the service center. (don't know if they forgot about it or what. i will give them a call)
Yeah.. not exactly same... May I know where is your location? I'm in Malaysia
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, camera, defaults, dslr, exposure, firmware, focus, iso, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, kx, lenses, light, live view, meter, pentax, pentax k-5, reset, spot, time, underexposes
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K10D metering issues fishy Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 03-03-2012 03:20 PM
Metering issues with Pentax Jüri Pentax Film SLR Discussion 9 02-21-2012 05:46 PM
Metering issues with MF lenses PentHassyKon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 36 05-01-2009 04:16 PM
Me Super - Metering Issues unixrevolution Pentax Film SLR Discussion 20 04-23-2009 06:50 AM
Metering issues? mchud Pentax DSLR Discussion 27 10-23-2008 04:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top