Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2014, 07:09 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 DNG Raw camera colour profile.

Evening all!

So after Pulling my hair out in frustration over the fact that Adobe wont support Pentax DNG raw files properly and making half arsed tone curves, i've finally gotten off my arse and made a Pentax K-5 DNG camera profile. this will see your RAW DNG files displayed faithfully to what you would expect your JPG's to turn out as.

You'll notice that when you import a raw file into Lightroom, while your computer is de-bayering the raw file it will display the embedded .jpg. when you shoot something in raw and you review it on the back of the camera LCD you think that exactly how i intended the photo to look and thats what Lightroom will show you while it's still displaying the embedded jpg that was generated from your camera. After LR de-bayers to file i it will appear different to what you intended / previously displayed. This is because LR uses Adobe Standard as it's Colour curve/ profile for our camera's. Pentax Photo browser can read and display the RAW files properly because they can read and used the properly camera profile. Adobe software seems to have an issue.

I've created a .dcp Camera Profile and uploaded the .dcp file to my copybox https://copy.com/JGK08YeAfVUWiwRp, let me know how it goes for you and iff you experience any issue. I'll get onto making a K20, K200 profile later if anyone is interested in it.

Hope you guys find this useful.

06-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
hi ,can it be also used for k5 II and k 5IIs?
06-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never tried to use a custom color profile, would this be a preset in LR4 - or would the program's help menu have instructions for adding this?
06-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I've never tried to use a custom color profile, would this be a preset in LR4 - or would the program's help menu have instructions for adding this?
Copy the DCP file to:

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData \Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

06-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wait: a color profile works only under a specific lighting condition. You can make a profile for sunny days, another for cloudy, another for flash, etc... You can also make a general profile through Adobe profile generator (free software). You need a profile at 6500°K and another one at 2800°K (midday sunny and tugsten) and a color chart, here´s a good, not so expensive, one. And the documentation for the profile editor.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
you need to put the profile file in the lightrooms profiles folder. Then, in lightroom, in the cmaera calibration tab, you can select the profile.
06-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
you need to put the profile file in the lightrooms profiles folder. Then, in lightroom, in the cmaera calibration tab, you can select the profile.
http://members.lightroomqueen.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1373/205/lightr...ault-locations

"Your custom Camera Raw & Lens Profiles should be installed to the User folders…

Lightroom 5 no longer uses the shared ProgramData (Windows) / Application Support (Mac) folders for Camera or Lens Profiles. Instead, it stores the built-in profiles with its program files.

When you create camera or lens profiles, they must be stored in the user locations listed below. If you previously stored custom profiles in other locations, you’ll need to move them to these user folders, otherwise Lightroom won’t be able to find them.

Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \

Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

For the lens profiles, substitute the LensProfiles folder for the CameraProfiles folder.

The camera and lens profile file extensions are:

.dcpr—camera profile recipe file used for creating/editing a profile in the DNG Profile Editor

.dcp—camera profile

.lcp—lens profile"

PS... The OP's K5 does not work with K5 ll or llS

Personally I start with the camera's embedded profile and start my flow in ACR from there. If I need to adjust color then I adjust via HSL/Grayscale tabs.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-17-2014 at 08:44 AM.
06-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, this should be at least interesting to play with.

06-17-2014, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

My experience is that the embebbed color profile (pentax default) is pretty good except that it saturates reds too fast (as most sensors) and particularly to pentax, pinks. The Adobe standard profile shifts blues to purple and makes green lighter.
06-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Thanks
06-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow this is awesome!
06-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
wait: a color profile works only under a specific lighting condition. You can make a profile for sunny days, another for cloudy, another for flash, etc... You can also make a general profile through Adobe profile generator (free software). You need a profile at 6500°K and another one at 2800°K (midday sunny and tugsten) and a color chart, here´s a good, not so expensive, one. And the documentation for the profile editor.

you need to put the profile file in the lightroom's profiles folder. Then, in Lightroom, in the camera calibration tab, you can select the profile.
Carrrlangas, you're absolutely right, if you want a flawless profile. you'll need to do a setup for every scene / lighting senario you shoot. for critical shoots it's worthwhile creating a profile for that scene. I wanted to make a profile that was more universal. This is more of an LUT than a accurate temperature colour profile. it's the result of a few exposures at different colour temp (same light source, just threw a CTO on it) aggregated the difference, kept the Linear curve and based the profile on that. If you guys would like, I'm more than happy to create a series of profiles for the major colour temps. I find that the colour profile above brings the photos into a jpg-esque look which is all i need and i can take the photo's treatment from there. Since i'm treating a raw file, color temp isn't a issue for me as i can change the DNG's temp to look as i see fit, instead of using 65k and 28k colour profiles.

That being said i'm still think there's still a bit more that needs to be done, Reds are not exactly 100% yet, I'll get a few prints made and compare them before i go any further.

I don't have a K5II or K5IIs but if anyone in Sydney is willing to take a few photos, I could easily whip up a profile for em.

Cheers,
Ben.
06-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have created loads of colour profiles under differing lighting conditions from full sun to total overcast raining , studio lighting and so on for my k5 and other bodies using a colour passport checker and their dng software and have found that the only noticeable shift is in the blues and purples compared to the adobe standard or the camera embedded.
In fact I would go so far as to say that unless photographing art or maybe a product for a client where colour is critical throughout the work flow there is no reason not to stick with the adobe standard or the embedded profile.
06-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for this topic, i have a K5 and look on with eager interest and learning
06-18-2014, 03:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Thank you for this topic, i have a K5 and look on with eager interest and learning
Then you might want to read this Creating DNG Profiles with the ColorChecker Passport. — X-Rite Photo Blog
06-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks mate, just what i need