Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #1

K5ii jpeg settings

Hi everyone,

I've been shooting RAW exclusively on my k5ii, and have recently felt that the post processing can get a little heavy going at times, not to mention the file sizes. I'm going to experiment for a period of jpeg only shooting, wonder if all you jpeg shooters could share your favourite settings (WB, highlight/shadow correction, etc. only those settings that apply to the jpeg files) for delivering files SOOC with the most success rate?

Thanks!

06-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jwn.poh Quote
Hi everyone,

I've been shooting RAW exclusively on my k5ii, and have recently felt that the post processing can get a little heavy going at times, not to mention the file sizes. I'm going to experiment for a period of jpeg only shooting, wonder if all you jpeg shooters could share your favourite settings (WB, highlight/shadow correction, etc. only those settings that apply to the jpeg files) for delivering files SOOC with the most success rate?

Thanks!
i don't think there is such a thing as 1 size fits all...i'm jpg cause i don't have time to do the extra processing...i use tav mode and adjust bias, shutter, and aperture based on what i'm trying to achieve...sorry this isn't more helpful but having trouble envisioning something that works for everythings..that's why alot of people like the flexibilty of shooting raw because they can adjust for lighting etc but i shoot a picture..look at it and make adjustments based on how it looks
06-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

One of the main reasons why I shoot raw exclusively is white balance flexibility. For jpg without much fuss, white balance must be carefully set for each condition. You can go around it somewhat in post but that defeats the original purpose. In my case, I'd go with daylight (my most common) as default and adjust from there but that will depend on your conditions.

Thanks,
06-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
One of the main reasons why I shoot raw exclusively is white balance flexibility. For jpg without much fuss, white balance must be carefully set for each condition. You can go around it somewhat in post but that defeats the original purpose. In my case, I'd go with daylight (my most common) as default and adjust from there but that will depend on your conditions.
The Expodisc ExpoImaging, Inc. does a nice job of solving the white balance issue. You just have to remember to use it! But it's a great solution for JPEG shooters - especially when dealing with unknown or mixed lighting indoors.

---------- Post added 06-23-14 at 12:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jwn.poh Quote
I'm going to experiment for a period of jpeg only shooting, wonder if all you jpeg shooters could share your favourite settings (WB, highlight/shadow correction, etc. – only those settings that apply to the jpeg files) for delivering files SOOC with the most success rate?
Just play with the settings and see what you like. I like the Portrait setting with slight tweaks to its defaults. I use minimal or no highlight and shadow correction.

I've adjusted nearly the entire ISO vs. NR scale to suit my taste (I think I made NR a little lighter), and I believe I end up with best results at 1/3 stop below the traditional ISOs (i.e. 1250, 2500, and 5000 rather than 1600, 3200, and 6400). This also allows me to start at ISO 80 (the best when you can use it) and step up in 1 stop increments all the way to 10000 (80, 160, 320, 640, 1250, 2500, 5000, 10000).

Last edited by DSims; 06-23-2014 at 12:03 PM.
06-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i don't have time to do the extra processing...
I hear you, but is there really a single combination of in-camera settings that would be appropriate for everything you shoot?

An alternative is to set up a bunch of presets in LR (or actions in PS) to match the various in-camera settings. Then, with one click, you can try them all out after the fact (if you continue to shoot in raw, that is).
06-23-2014, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Half the fun is the PP. Camera is the recorder, I am the editor and producer
06-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
I hear you, but is there really a single combination of in-camera settings that would be appropriate for everything you shoot?

An alternative is to set up a bunch of presets in LR (or actions in PS) to match the various in-camera settings. Then, with one click, you can try them all out after the fact (if you continue to shoot in raw, that is).

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Half the fun is the PP. Camera is the recorder, I am the editor and producer
So true guys...maybe one of these days when i have more time i will find this is the better route...for now i just try to get it a close to right as i can...maybe it is more work up front versus on the back end but one of these days i will try the other route and will probably find i've been a dumb@## for all these years
06-24-2014, 01:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
No there isn't and one shouldn't consider the JPEG in camera settings as such. For good OOC jpeg results in difficult, variying conditions, you need to consider contrast, shadow correction, saturation, high/low key etc. from scene to scene.

Regards,
--Anders.

06-24-2014, 02:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was a RAW shooter. Until I realized PPing RAW just to share images is a pain after shooting 800 images from a single trip.

I saw that there is almost NO significant drop in image quality in day light mode, specially shooting street photography, general architecture and general Point and shoot images.

For composed landcapes, evenings and night pictures using tripod I shoot RAW (All I have to do is press a button to save raw information from the sensor).

JPEG shooting is less space consuming, faster post processing, easier storage (both in camera and in the computer) and the best part is faster response time from the camera.

RAW on the other hand is great for detail extraction and as mentioned above easy to change white-balance.

Cheers!
06-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm not a good enough photographer to shoot jpeg!
06-24-2014, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
I was a RAW shooter. Until I realized PPing RAW just to share images is a pain after shooting 800 images from a single trip.

I saw that there is almost NO significant drop in image quality in day light mode, specially shooting street photography, general architecture and general Point and shoot images.
It's even worse when you shoot 1600 images in a single day!

I can get noticeably better results doing PP. But not necessarily enough to make it worthwhile in the trade-off I must consider. You need to consider the value of the photos to the audience. It also matters whether you're getting paid.

The bottom line is there are some times shooting JPEG is the smarter choice, so it's definitely worthwhile optimizing your JPEG settings (and shooting technique) for when those times arise.

Last edited by DSims; 06-24-2014 at 01:04 PM.