Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
How did he great rid of that infernal clicking???
@eddaytona: Just recode the video. I mean, who wants to upload an 80 Mbps video anyway? The files are HUUUUGE. Also, normally you'd edit your video, right?

But wait a minute: I do get clicking from my K-5 too, but only when it's rather loud. Are you all talking about that? Is there a way to get rid of that? I always thought that was due to a low quality microphone.

@fuent104: True, but you can do quite a bit by picking the muted style for example and tweaking the settings.

06-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
Thanks guys. I do recode my videos to get smaller files but really to eliminate the clicking. Just remarking that it seems the fellow who posted the video didn't do any recoding but recorded straight from his K-5 to editing and then to Vimeo. Doesn't work for me especially if there isn't a lot of sound recorded. But, you can hear it if you listen for it even when there is a lot of sound recorded. The clicking is constant and approx. once a second. Here is an unedited video that I took with my K-R and you can hear the same clicking as my K-5 despite the singing:
06-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, are Pentax DSLRs mad video machines, or are you mad if you use one as a video machine?

Neither, but you usually shouldn't get one as your primary video tool.
06-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
@stevebrot Who would buy a K-3 if he is interested in video? It sucks. There are better, cheaper options out there. Everything that's decent about the K-3 video is done better by other brands, and there is nothing the K-3 does that can surpass others (except for audio perhaps).
So why are you calling me out for things I did not say? First off, to answer your question; I am interested in video, but bought the K-3 primarily for its prowess as a still camera. Frankly, I don't care if I can get better video from a mirrorless Panasonic or a Canon or an smart phone or a boat anchor.

Secondly, I don't know that I suggested at any point on this thread or elsewhere that the OP or anyone else should consider the K-3 for video. Verstehen Sie?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-30-2014 at 06:07 PM.
07-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Ah sorry, I've just used you as a starting point for a rant. I always have to rant when I read K-3 and video in one sentence, it's a reflex.

I had already invested in Pentax anyway, and back when I had to upgrade there was the K-30, K-5 and K-5 II/IIs. II and IIs were too expensive, the K-30 was the cheapest but the K-5 still reasonable. I went with the K-5 because it's better for video... though I also like the ergonomics better. But video was the main reason why I decided to pay more for a slower (menu speed) camera.
07-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I think we Pentaxians are "making a mountain out of a mole hill". A DSLR is meant to take PHOTOS, which is its primary function. That you are getting video out of it should make you smile & happy.
I get decent videos out of my K-5 simply beacuse I have learnt to use its shortcomings. And if I need real videos - almost Pro type - I use my Sony HD Camcorder - period.
Don't crib guys. The K-5 / K-5 II / K-5 IIs is one hell of a great camera - atleast for the money I paid for it brand new. So go out and enjoy it.
Regards.
07-02-2014, 03:42 AM   #37
Veteran Member

But real camcorders don't give me the look that I want. I've shot video with my K-5, an uncle used his top of the consumer line Panasonic from 2012 on the same trip. My videos look 100x better. They almost have a cinematic quality, while his look very much like video, and if you look closely there's plenty of noise reduction at work in everything but bright sunlight. The Panasonic's main advantage is that it is easier to use, and it makes wonderfully small files that still don't show artefacts. The encoder is much, much better than what the K-3 or most other DSLRs have. Bitrates are at most 24 Mbps for 50p. Barely enough for a DSLR, more than enough for the Panasonic, despite strong sharpening and lots of details (both of which require lots of bits).

APS-C is about the same size as what Hollywood uses for big budget blockbusters. That's why DSLRs and mirrorless cameras are popular for video, especially with more professional productions (besides being able to use one camera for both). Camcorders, even expensive ones, are usually a consumer thing. There are camcorders meant for professional usage, but they are moving to larger sensors too it seems.

07-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #38
Forum Member

I know that the K7-K5II series is capable of producing great video, it's up to how much work the user puts into it. You can go grab the best from canon or a $10,000 Red epic rig and they all take the same amount of work to produce a good presentable video. With the lack of clean straight 1080p HDMI output, it does limit abilities of making your production easier using external recorders, but an external monitor works perfectly on the K7-K5II.

The file format is a bit rubbish with that MJPEG but it works and produces a clean image if you run it through premiere or even Videopad and push it back out in a high converted bitrate.

While filming, or just before shooting, you can set your F stop and use the Exposure lock to set your exposure, no you will not be able to set exact numbers for ISO and shutter speed, but it works. Aim at your exposure point and hit the AE lock, shoot. You can unlock and re-lock AE while filming.

I haven't gotten deep into shooting anything with high production value. I'll post a few sample shots-

K5II Pentax DA 18-250mm ~F9

K5II Pentax FA 50mm F4 ~F9

K5II Pentax FA 50mm F1.4-F2(Likely)

K5II Pentax FA 50mm F1.4-F2(Likely) Playing with shallow DOF