Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #1

K-5 IIs shutter issue.

I just got this camera yesterday, and I absolutely love it but i think i got one with issues. As soon as i got it i put the battery in and took a few shots, put the battery on the charger for a bit, not long enough to fully charge it. Then when i got home i took out the sd card, imported the pics and put the battery on the charger. Then when i took the fully charged battery and put it in the camera it started acting up. It took a few shots fine, but then it started going crazy and the shutter started going off by itself. Turning it off and on didn't do anything, it would just start going off by itself, except for turning it to bulb mode and holding down the shutter. So, i got all of the stuff back together to get ready to ship it back for an exchange, but when i got up this morning it seems to be working again. I saw other people saying this happens on the regular K-5, but not on the IIs. I'm worried because it seems like an intermittent issue i can't display to the seller, and i know I need to get it replaced. Any advice on how to describe the issue to them better or how to replicate it.

07-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a video on YouTube for this issue on the k-5. I suggest you share this link with the seller.
07-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
I saw that, but it's not the same glitch. What mine was doing was going off as soon as turned it on and not stopping until I turned it off. The issues may be similar or linked, but I wouldn't feel honest showing them that video. I have the battery on the charger right now charging up to 100 percent to see if that will replicate it.
07-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Try updating firmware before sending it back?

07-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
I haven't been able to recreate the issue. I am updating the firmware though. It was on 1.0 and i'm updating it to 1.7.
07-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would highly consider returning the camera. If it a happens again defiantly return it or send in for repair. They have seen this issue before.
08-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

Original Poster
I figured out what the problem might have been. Water must have gotten under the cover for the grip connector. Is there some special way of putting it back on properly? I'm usually very careful about it. I put it on at angle and make sure to push it all the way into the edge and then push the other side in where the tab is. Then I run my thumb over it a bit just to be sure. I've seen these cameras handle some seriously wet conditions.

08-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xplus93 Quote
I figured out what the problem might have been. Water must have gotten under the cover for the grip connector. Is there some special way of putting it back on properly? I'm usually very careful about it. I put it on at angle and make sure to push it all the way into the edge and then push the other side in where the tab is. Then I run my thumb over it a bit just to be sure. I've seen these cameras handle some seriously wet conditions.
I can't answer your question, but I'm breathing a lot easier now...