Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #1

K-5 Exp Bracketing + Self Timer

Hello,

I've ran into this issue with my K-5 when trying to get into HDR a bit. I set up exposure bracketing with self timer. It works and all, but I think there is a firmware bug, described as follows...

with 2s self timer the three bracketed shots are taken like this:
2s [shot 0] 2s [shot -2] 2s [shot +2] -- timer restarts between shots

with the 12s self timer it looks as follows:
12s [shot 0] [shot -2] [shot +2] -- no delay between shots

If this is intentional, does anybody have an explanation? Or should I try to contact Pentax about this? I ordered a 3rd party remote control to "fix" this issue but I'm still kinda annoyed a bit.

Please advise. Thanks,
ChromaNoise

07-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Working as designed. Not sure why you think it is a bug? With the 2 sec timer the camera has time to settle from mirror slap between shots. With the 12 sec timer you have the opportunity to press the shutter and be in the shot if you want. So you have the choice of which mode you want to use.

Personally I use a wired remote to fire the camera without any delay as I want to pick the exact moment to shoot. But that gives you three different ways of doing it depending on what you need.
07-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
OK, I take your word for it. The mirror slap thing actually makes sense. I'm just a bit baffled as I was watching a HDR tutorial video the other day, featuring a Canon camera that did not pause between shots with its short (2 or 3s) self-timer.
07-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Just a different way of doing it I guess.I prefer the wired remote so I don't touch the camera, I think 2 sec is too short to halt all vibrations and 12 sec is boring to wait that long.

07-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yeah, the 12 sec wait is definitely a bit too long, but there is no pause between actuations there. If a 2 second delay between shots is indeed not enough for a stable image as you claim, this just makes things even more odd.
07-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I use to use the 2 second timer with bracketing and I remember it operating in that way. I use LiveView essentially exclusively when up on a tripod now and that essentially forces a mirror lock up - and eliminates the need for the 2 second timer - and it eliminates the delay.

07-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChromaNoise Quote
If a 2 second delay between shots is indeed not enough for a stable image as you claim,
I mean 2 sec is too short if you touch the camera to press the shutter button. Seems to be fine to settle mirror slap. But it depends somewhat on the tripod and the focal length of the lens.