Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #1

K5-II flash issues solved?

Hello. I am very close to purchasing a Pentax DSLR, perhaps a K-5 II. But one issue that gives me pause is the much-discussed flash overexposure issue with this series. I noticed that this fellow says that the flash issues do not exist with the Pentax AF360FGZII and AF540FGZ II - either with the K3 "or the older DSLRs like K5." Perhaps these newer models "talk" more efficiently with the cameras when shooting in PTTL.

So my question is whether anyone can confirm this. Would be especially interesting if anyone has suffered the overexposure issues with the older (version I rather than II) and then found that the problems disappeared when using the newer version II flash units.

Oh, and anyone finding that the K-3 is far less prone to flash exposure error than the K-5 II? (I could still go for the K-3, but am leaning toward K-5 II.)

(I used to shoot with a Nikon D90 and an SB600 flash and certainly was spoiled with trouble-free flash photography. Am hoping that with the right flash, my Pentax experience will be almost as enjoyable.)

I also have a question regarding jpeg conversion from Raw when using Lightroom, etc, and whether the smudgy red textures (as documented in Imaging Resource) can be improved upon (over in-camera jpeg) significantly using PP.

Many thanks!

Isoruku

07-07-2014, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Isoruku Quote
Hello. I am very close to purchasing a Pentax DSLR, perhaps a K-5 II. But one issue that gives me pause is the much-discussed flash overexposure issue with this series. I noticed that this fellow says that the flash issues do not exist with the Pentax AF360FGZII and AF540FGZ II - either with the K3 "or the older DSLRs like K5." Perhaps these newer models "talk" more efficiently with the cameras when shooting in PTTL.

So my question is whether anyone can confirm this. Would be especially interesting if anyone has suffered the overexposure issues with the older (version I rather than II) and then found that the problems disappeared when using the newer version II flash units.

Oh, and anyone finding that the K-3 is far less prone to flash exposure error than the K-5 II? (I could still go for the K-3, but am leaning toward K-5 II.)

(I used to shoot with a Nikon D90 and an SB600 flash and certainly was spoiled with trouble-free flash photography. Am hoping that with the right flash, my Pentax experience will be almost as enjoyable.)

I also have a question regarding jpeg conversion from Raw when using Lightroom, etc, and whether the smudgy red textures (as documented in Imaging Resource) can be improved upon (over in-camera jpeg) significantly using PP.

Many thanks!

Isoruku
I'm not sure about the mark II flashes, but as far as I know (after spaeking with Pentax reps) the bounce flash issue is due to a hardware limitation in the K-5's metering system, so I wouldn't expect there to be any difference.

I did test the old flashes on the K-3 and verified that the exposure problem was resolved on it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You "used to shoot with a Nikon D90" and it was trouble free, and you're hoping that the Pentax will be "almost as enjoyable". Let me be the first to ask the obvious question: If the Nikon D90 was so enjoyable, why are you considering Pentax, particularly in light of your preconception that there is a jpeg conversation issue with LR?
07-07-2014, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

as documented in Imaging Resource
Gosh, I had no idea. I guess I better run over there and find out how bad my reds are..........................

Funny how you can just say "as documented" and something becomes a fact.

07-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You "used to shoot with a Nikon D90" and it was trouble free, and you're hoping that the Pentax will be "almost as enjoyable". Let me be the first to ask the obvious question: If the Nikon D90 was so enjoyable, why are you considering Pentax, particularly in light of your preconception that there is a jpeg conversation issue with LR?
Dear Parallax: I did not say that "there is a jpeg conversation issue with LR." Maybe you should read my post again. What I said was that (as Imaging Resource's pix make pretty clear) Pentax K-5 II (and K-3 and K-30, etc) smudge red detail. See the red textures here and scroll down. I don't have a "preconception." It's pretty obvious if you look at the pix. My question was whether there is much more of the texture/detail saved when people use Raw and convert in PP (such as in Lightroom).

As to me having to explain why I am switching from Nikon, which has an obviously excellent flash system, why is that necessary? Can't I just get a straight answer to an honest question? (And thank you, Adam, for doing that.) Excuse me while I reply to jatrax with his equally "helpful" answer.

---------- Post added 07-07-14 at 10:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Gosh, I had no idea. I guess I better run over there and find out how bad my reds are..........................

Funny how you can just say "as documented" and something becomes a fact.
Dear jatrax,

Thank you for proving that Pentax Forums can be a source of brilliant sarcasm. I was hoping that your sort of curt, gratuitous response would not happen, but unfortunately, I was naive. I asked an honest question and was hoping for an honest reply. Yes, it's documented. See the "documentation" from Imaging Resource - scroll down to the "Pentax K-5 II Image Quality Comparisons."

Please note that I am not insulting the intelligence of your son, the attractiveness of your wife, or the literary taste of your Army buddy. The Pentax jpeg engine smears reds in certain circumstances. It's "documented."
07-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Dear Isoruku,
Thank you for the compliment on my sarcasm. And also thank you for the link to the review. I have now read it through and must plead confusion as I understand the review to say "The K-5 II is the winner in the fabric swatch comparison with more fine details in the red area." I see nowhere that the review indicates anything about "smearing reds". If I have missed that part please do me the kindness of pointing out the location of the smearing comment. I find it astonishing that with pages of meticulous review notes and examples all pointing to the k-5II being an excellent camera and receiving a 4.5 / 5 rating your only comment is:
So to answer your question without the sarcasm: I am sure that PP could improve on any alleged smudges if such smudges did exist. However, with nearly 12,000 images taken in the last year with a k-5IIs I have not personally observed any 'smudging' of reds or any other color. With that basis of personal real world experience you can imagine my surprise when it is 'documented' that my camera smudges reds. I assume you asked your question here as you wanted to hear the experience of real world photographers to confirm or refute what you found in a review. If so then I can only repeat that I have not found any example of smudged reds that would require treatment in PP.

My apologies if you were offended by my jesting sarcasm. As you are new here you may think this forum is prone to flame wars or bitter personal attacks as found on other forums. I assure you that is not the case and my sarcasm was in the way of a light hearted joke in reply to a comment that was no more surprising than if someone I had just met pointed out that it was documented that the sun is now rising in the west.
07-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
Dear Jatrax,

Let's look at that article again. (And you might want to also look at the photos of the smudged red fabric.) You took the one quote that could bolster your tenuous point and pretended that it is valid for the entire discussion of the K-5 II's performance re the red, textured fabric swatch. Specifically, you pulled a quote for the IS0 100 shots only and for the K-5 II's comparison with one camera only (the Canon 60D). Let's look at quotes (and again, please look at the photos - of smudged red fabric) for the other ISOs and the competition:

(I will use ellipses and compressed quotes only to skip over irrelevant sections, such as discussions of the tile detail. I'm concerned with red texture here)

ISO 100:

The Nikon (D7100) wins in terms of detail, especially in the red leaf fabric swatch.

ISO 1600:

...the Canon does better with the fabric swatch in both detail and color accuracy.

...the Nikon wins in terms of detail, especially in the red leaf fabric swatch.

The E-M5 does better in all three images compared to the K-5 II...In the fabric swatch, there's almost no detail in the red area from the Pentax image.

The NEX-7 does better in the fabric swatch compared to the K-5 II…

ISO3200

The Pentax does better in the mosaic image, but the Canon does produce some semblance of a pattern in the fabric swatches.

…the Nikon is the clear winner in the fabric swatch.

The Sony here has better noise control in the bottle image and produces much better detail in the fabric swatch…
Attached Images

07-08-2014, 05:09 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, those are impressive. Thanks for letting us know how superior Nikon, Canon and Sony are. Let me expand on what jatrax said regarding flame wars. One of the reasons we are less prone to them is that they are prohibited by forum rules. As you said above that you only wanted an answer to a question, and Adam answered that question, there shouldn't be a need to continue with "Soncanikon beats Pentax" campaign. Perhaps once you've switched from the obviously superior Nikon to Pentax you'd like to join in on some of the discussions on the positive aspects of Pentax.

Last edited by Parallax; 07-09-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Closed Thread