Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Connect K5 to MacBook Air/projector

I will be teaching a class this fall and would like to be able to connect my K5 to a MacBook Air w/ USB2 and Thunderbolt connections. My goal is to be able to show lighting and to show completed images (small JPEGs) to a class of 10 or so students. Has anyone done this, and if so, what cable(s) did you need to make it work? Also, did you need any particular software on the computer or firmware update on the camera? Thanks in advance.

07-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lot depends on the projector. If the projector has HDMI you can just connect the camera to the projector using the HDMI port. You can get an adapter for the MacBook to connect to whatever other input the projector has, but the projector may have an USB connection (needs a driver installed on the MacBook).
07-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The most common connection for projectors is vga, for which you need a mini-display port to vga connector. Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.) But check, you may need dvi or something else instead of vga, depending on the projector.
07-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Couldn't you just insert the SD card from the camera into a USB card reader attached to the MacBook? Or copy the images from your post-processing software to a SD card and then use the USB card reader?
Or are there settings on the camera you want to use in the classroom presentation? That would explain your desire for a direct connection.

M

QuoteOriginally posted by Cascadilla Quote
I will be teaching a class this fall and would like to be able to connect my K5 to a MacBook Air w/ USB2 and Thunderbolt connections. My goal is to be able to show lighting and to show completed images (small JPEGs) to a class of 10 or so students. Has anyone done this, and if so, what cable(s) did you need to make it work? Also, did you need any particular software on the computer or firmware update on the camera? Thanks in advance.

07-11-2014, 02:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Start with the projector and see what options that particular model offers. Such as ports and card slots. Models differ.