Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #1

K-5 Freezez up

I have the original Pentax K-5. A couple of times in the last 3 days the shutter release would not function. Tried turning camera OFF and ON again. To my surprise even when powered OFF, the upper LCD screen remained ON even with Power off. Had to physically remove the battery and put it back again to make everything functional again. Anyone else experience this?
Thanks
Rsangha

07-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I believe this has happened to me with my K5. Not often though and I can't remember the conditions that were happening at that time. I have had to do the same thing with the mirror flop issue as well.
07-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This happened to a number of k-5's including mine. In my case it was the mirror that got stuck part way through the cycle. If you press the shutter button when this happens the battery indicator would show depleted. This was caused by the mirror motor trying to move the mirror and failing. At first it only happened occasionally but eventually it got bad enough I sent it to CRIS for repair. No problems since then.
07-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
K-5 Freeze up

Thanks guys. Guess I will watch it and hope it does not get any worse!

07-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

I have this same issue. My camera is completely inoperable now. It sticks every time. I click the shutter, it stalls to release, never takes the photo, and freezes up the camera. The screen stays on even when I turn off the camera. And it sounds like a motor is still running, even when I turn the camera off. I am very anxious and frustrated because I had two gigs this week. I still have my k-x, but I really need the quality of the K-5 for both of my jobs this week. I cannot afford this right now
07-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could be you passed the shutter actuation limit which I think is about 100,000 on that camera. You might need a whole new shutter Yikes !
07-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #7

It's at 21k, should still have quite a bit of life left.

07-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine does that occasionally, usually when exiting LiveView or Movie mode...
08-30-2014, 04:14 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by therevslady Quote
I have this same issue. My camera is completely inoperable now. It sticks every time. I click the shutter, it stalls to release, never takes the photo, and freezes up the camera. The screen stays on even when I turn off the camera. And it sounds like a motor is still running, even when I turn the camera off. I am very anxious and frustrated because I had two gigs this week. I still have my k-x, but I really need the quality of the K-5 for both of my jobs this week. I cannot afford this right now
Did you find any solution to this? Is this repairable and how much it might have cost?

My K-5 seems to have similar problem (mirror freezes up, shutter stays closed even powering off the camera and top LCD stays on, live view not working (no image)). The mode-dial stopped working as well (always in M-mode, regardless of the position of the dial). Is it worth sending to repair or just send it to dump pit?
08-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #10

Original Poster
K-5 Freeze Up

Fortunately I have not had that occur again. I guess try a new battery then decide for yourself.
08-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
Did you find any solution to this? Is this repairable and how much it might have cost? My K-5 seems to have similar problem (mirror freezes up, shutter stays closed even powering off the camera and top LCD stays on, live view not working (no image)). The mode-dial stopped working as well (always in M-mode, regardless of the position of the dial). Is it worth sending to repair or just send it to dump pit?
There are several different 'freeze' problems. The most common happens just occasionally and is solved by removing the battery and replacing it. This is relatively benign and for most happened so infrequently it was not worth sending for repair.

However, there is another problem which my k-5 had that does require sending in for repair. The mirror would get stuck part way through the cycle and lock the mirror motor up causing a severe battery drain. In this case the camera would not turn off, lcd stays on, pressing the shutter button does nothing except cause the battery indicator to turn red. I sent mine in and they replaced mirror motor assembly. It has been fine since.
09-01-2014, 07:09 AM   #12

Why don't you try to update firmware ? It would help . Good luck .
09-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #13

I updated my firmware and it was not a fix. I haven't been able to afford to send it in yet as I took a family leave off of work. Hopefully I can send it in soon because I really miss my camera. I have a k-x for backup. But the pictures just don't compare to those I can take with the k-5.
09-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by therevslady Quote
I updated my firmware and it was not a fix. I haven't been able to afford to send it in yet as I took a family leave off of work. Hopefully I can send it in soon because I really miss my camera. I have a k-x for backup. But the pictures just don't compare to those I can take with the k-5.
One thing that worked for me, temporarily, was to give the k-5 a sharp smack on the bottom with my left palm while holding the camera by the grip. This apparently jarred the mirror loose and allowed it to function until it got stuck again. I did this a number of times over several months before finally sending it in for repair. I'm not suggesting you do this, and if you do do so at your own risk, but it worked for me.
09-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #15

Surprisingly (or not), I tried that too. It is also making like a churning noise like a motor running. So odd.