Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #1

K-5 IIs problems??

I just read in the review of the K-5 II that - "The main weak point of the K-5 II is live view and video. Live view has noticeable latency, and the contrast detect autofocus system has not been improved since the K-5. On average, the K-30 thus focuses faster in live view than the K-5 II (see the numbers here).
The K-5 II's video mode offers no manual controls beyond exposure compensation, no focus peaking, and limited framerate options, including only 25FPS in full HD and 30/25 HD in 720p. In addition, the camera can only write .avi video files rather than the now-preferred H.264 .mov format. One problem with the .avi format is that without re-encoding, an annoying periodic clicking sound can be heard in many video players (including Youtube). This is caused due to a slight incompatibility between the various codecs being used to play back the files.

Read more at: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Performance and Video - In-Depth Reviews

As I am on the verge of getting a new body, is this something I should be concerned about and on a similar thread, does the K-50 have a better/different processor. If so might I be better getting the K-50?? HELP!!!!

07-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snoops27 Quote
HELP!!!!
Get them both It's always handy to have a backup body.

[Semi] joking aside, why are LiveView and video causing you such anxiety? Do you only plan to shoot video?
07-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Get them both It's always handy to have a backup body.

[Semi] joking aside, why are LiveView and video causing you such anxiety? Do you only plan to shoot video?
I wouldn't say I'm anxious exactly. I'm one of those strange people who believe that if you are paying out that sort of money you expect things to work properly. Am I wrong to expect that??

07-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The newer models have better video controls, but I don't think video is particularly a strong point for Pentax right now. If you are in a set condition they're probably fine, but look for the versions with microphone input etc.

Personally, I use the video on my phone more than the K5. I'm not a serious videographer, if I were I'd get a dedicated video camera and keep the DSLR for still images. Live view is great for slower situations, it will lock focus which is pretty handy. I use it for shooting model planes etc. on a tripod via delay - and it's great for that.

07-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The newer models have better video controls, but I don't think video is particularly a strong point for Pentax right now. If you are in a set condition they're probably fine, but look for the versions with microphone input etc.

Personally, I use the video on my phone more than the K5. I'm not a serious videographer, if I were I'd get a dedicated video camera and keep the DSLR for still images. Live view is great for slower situations, it will lock focus which is pretty handy. I use it for shooting model planes etc. on a tripod via delay - and it's great for that.
Thanks Terry for the very helpful (non-facetious,non-sarcastic) comment. Sometimes someone like me just needs a little help and understanding getting onto the first rung of the ladder, so to speak. :
07-22-2014, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm one of those strange people who believe that if you are paying out that sort of money you expect things to work properly. Am I wrong to expect that??
No you are not wrong. However, not working as well as some other model does not mean not working properly. Sort of like buying a sports car and then blaming it because you cannot haul 1,000#s of firewood in it. The k-5II is an excellent camera but video is not it's strong area, there are other cameras much better at video. If video is important to you and you understand the nuances of video files and sound tracks I would suggest looking elsewhere. Others can likely suggest better video models, like TER-OR I don't do much video and if I do need it I'll use my phone. Canon is well regarded for video and seems to be the 'go to' brand for that although Panasonic also seems highly rated. Some Pentax bodies are also better at video, the k-50 seems to be better regarded for that, but if I was mainly shooting stills I would prefer the k-5II.
07-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I just read in the review of the K-5 II that - "The main weak point of the K-5 II is live view and video. Live view has noticeable latency, and the contrast detect autofocus system has not been improved since the K-5. On average, the K-30 thus focuses faster in live view than the K-5 II (see the numbers here).
The K-5 II's video mode offers no manual controls beyond exposure compensation, no focus peaking, and limited framerate options, including only 25FPS in full HD and 30/25 HD in 720p. In addition, the camera can only write .avi video files rather than the now-preferred H.264 .mov format. One problem with the .avi format is that without re-encoding, an annoying periodic clicking sound can be heard in many video players (including Youtube). This is caused due to a slight incompatibility between the various codecs being used to play back the files.

Read more at: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Performance and Video - In-Depth Reviews

As I am on the verge of getting a new body, is this something I should be concerned about and on a similar thread, does the K-50 have a better/different processor. If so might I be better getting the K-50?? HELP!!!!
Perhaps you should post this question in the video section Video and Pentax HDSLRs - PentaxForums.com, folks into video mostly stick to that section...

I don't know or use video much, except in the basic mode to take a clip or two, so take what I say with a grain of salt. The K-50 and K-30 are almost identical in every way but the body shape, (they do not accomodate external mic...), so it should give the same video quality. The K-5IIs is more like the old K-x, but with better sound options...
I'm sure the folks in the video section would be able to give a ton of info, also going through the threads there might help...

07-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No you are not wrong. However, not working as well as some other model does not mean not working properly. Sort of like buying a sports car and then blaming it because you cannot haul 1,000#s of firewood in it. The k-5II is an excellent camera but video is not it's strong area, there are other cameras much better at video. If video is important to you and you understand the nuances of video files and sound tracks I would suggest looking elsewhere. Others can likely suggest better video models, like TER-OR I don't do much video and if I do need it I'll use my phone. Canon is well regarded for video and seems to be the 'go to' brand for that although Panasonic also seems highly rated. Some Pentax bodies are also better at video, the k-50 seems to be better regarded for that, but if I was mainly shooting stills I would prefer the k-5II.
It's comes down to semantics, but in any case,thanks for the warm, friendly help you've provided...

---------- Post added 07-22-14 at 03:17 PM ----------

---------- Post added 07-22-14 at 03:19 PM ----------

I'm a complete novice really as far as DSLRs are concerned. I read on this site about the problems of the K-5IIs and asked a simple question. Now I'm being got at for not having the knowledge others have. Thanks guys...

Last edited by Snoops27; 07-22-2014 at 07:18 AM.
07-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's comes down to semantics, but in any case,thanks for the warm, friendly help you've provided...
You are most welcome. I think all cameras have some good points / bad points, you just need to decide which of those points are most important to you. I don't think you will find a better stills camera in the same price range as the k-5II but it is not perfect and sadly video seems to be it's weak point. If video is really important to you check this sub-forum, you might get some idea of how good/bad the issue really is: Video and Pentax HDSLRs - PentaxForums.com
07-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 07-22-14 at 03:17 PM ----------

---------- Post added 07-22-14 at 03:19 PM ----------

I'm a complete novice really as far as DSLRs are concerned. I read on this site about the problems of the K-5IIs and asked a simple question. Now I'm being got at for not having the knowledge others have. Thanks guys...
Where did that come from? jatrax' suggestion that Canon and Panasonic make better cameras for video? They probably do.
07-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the video mode is a lot better on the K3 so if you plan to do a lot of video, I would skip the K-5 II and jump straight to the K3. As far as the Live View, there is definitely a latency issue(so I would not use it for sports), also depending on which mode you have it set at, the image on the LCD blacks out when performing AF. I can't comment much on the live view since I only had the camera for a few weeks and did not have time to learn all the intricacies, but from my short experience with live view on the K5 II, I would say the live view on my point-and-shoot camera seems to work better. Lucky for me, I did not buy the camera for Live View or for Video so I can live with those shortcomings. I'm totally satisfied with most of the other features.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 07-22-2014 at 10:39 AM.