Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Katzeye for K 5?

I put a Katzeye in my K 10 and liked it a lot, especially for fast legacy glass. My only complaint was that it affected the spot metering, not too big a deal since as an old LX/MX/ME Super user I'm used to center weighted metering.

Anyone here tried a Katzeye in your K 5? What are your thoughts? Did you have to fiddle with shims, etc?

Thanks for any info!

08-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes i have one, works the same as on my K20D
08-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a Katzeye on my K10d and K20d, once I got my K5, the focusing info was so much better I really never found the need to get one for the K5. It may have been the camera or a more experienced me. Never was quite sure but I've just never needed one on my K5.
08-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Glad you asked because I was gonna buy one for my K5, now I'll wait for more answers...

08-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yep, count me ever curious on this one (K3)...
08-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I put a Katzeye on my K5 a couple years ago when I got it. I find it useful enough and much better quality than the Chinese made diagonal screen I bought from jinfinance for my K20.
Yes, because of the greater precision of these screens, adding (or removing) shims is an expected part of the process, as the stock screen operates within a wider range of variability. I ordered the full set in advance and then dialed in the precise one to get the focus perfect.
The folks at Katzeye are always helpful too.

---------- Post added 08-06-2014 at 04:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I had a Katzeye on my K10d and K20d, once I got my K5, the focusing info was so much better I really never found the need to get one for the K5. It may have been the camera or a more experienced me. Never was quite sure but I've just never needed one on my K5.
bcb makes a great point here. The magnified live view and focus peaking are such a treat these days, that one could easily get by without a special screen.
12-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #7

Focusing screen

I used a split screen/microprism focusing screen on my K100D for 3 years.
Even if the small viewfinder of APS-C DSLR is darker and smaller than old standard focusing screen on MX body, It was so good I really can't do without it now. Even if light metering can be affected when stopping down on old manual lenses.

I'm seriously thinking to buy another for K5 body.
Maybe Santa Claus this year will have a new small and very light present to bring to my home ... ;-)