Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leave Body Cap on K-5 IIs When Updating Firmware

Hi,

I just received a new K-5 IIs today. I am curious as to if I want to update the firmware, is it alright to leave the body cap on it while I do the update. I have not opened the box yet, and do not know what version firmware the camera has on it. If it does not have the latest version, I may update it right out of the box with the body cap on before I put a lens on it. I have downloaded Windows version 1.07 for K-5 IIs in case I need it, and have not opened it yet. I have updated my K-5's in the past and am familiar with the procedure, but still download the instructions anyway for each version.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Casey

08-07-2014, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Whether or not the cap is mounted is irrelevant as far as the firmware update is concerned. However, I recommend always keeping a body cap on the camera when no lens is mounted, as it will help reduce the number of dust spots on your sensor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Whether or not the cap is mounted is irrelevant as far as the firmware update is concerned. However, I recommend always keeping a body cap on the camera when no lens is mounted, as it will help reduce the number of dust spots on your sensor.
Adam, I can have the cap mounted while I do the update with the camera turned on and it will not do any harm? I think that is what you mean and just want to make sure.

Thanks,

Casey
08-07-2014, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Adam, I can have the cap mounted while I do the update with the camera turned on and it will not do any harm? I think that is what you mean and just want to make sure.
Yes, that's right.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, that's right.
Thank you Adam. I just want to do everything safely. You told me exactly what I need to know. This way I can do the update if I need to, then remove my telephoto lens from my K-5 and place it on the new K-5 IIs.

Now I will have a K-5 for wide angle, K-5 for mid range, and the K- 5 IIs for telephoto (150 - 500) of wildlife/birds. The K-5 is very reliable and does an excellent job, plus the K-5 IIs has its improvements and lack of the anti aliasing filter which I had been interested in.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.

Have a good night.

Casey

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-07-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typo
08-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Make sure the battery is full and format the card in the camera before doing the update.
08-07-2014, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Remember to sacrifice a chicken and cross your heart before doing that upgrade, Casey!

08-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

I just received a new K-5 IIs today. I am curious as to if I want to update the firmware, is it alright to leave the body cap on it while I do the update. I have not opened the box yet, and do not know what version firmware the camera has on it. If it does not have the latest version, I may update it right out of the box with the body cap on before I put a lens on it. I have downloaded Windows version 1.07 for K-5 IIs in case I need it, and have not opened it yet. I have updated my K-5's in the past and am familiar with the procedure, but still download the instructions anyway for each version.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Casey
Which software package are you using to unzip the .BIN file after you download it ? Or am I missing something ?
08-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Which software package are you using to unzip the .BIN file after you download it ? Or am I missing something ?
The bin file is located in the file you download from the Pentax site. I downloaded mine to my desktop. After you have downloaded the file (my file was 1394233371_k5_2s107) from the site, double click on it. The double click on that file will cause it to extract the bin file which will appear on your computer (appeared on my desktop). If you have the IIs you use the file I used (fwdc218b.bin), if not you use the other one (fwdc216b.bin) for the II. Whichever is the appropriate bin file for you, you copy to the sd card. You can read the more formal instructions at the Pentax support/downloads site to do the update properly. Like someone else mentioned, make sure your battery is charged before doing the update.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 06:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Remember to sacrifice a chicken and cross your heart before doing that upgrade, Casey!
I did the update last night and was successful. I was glad to complete it. Thanks.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 06:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Please note to copy the appropriate bin file to the root of the sd card.
08-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The bin file is located in the file you download from the Pentax site. I downloaded mine to my desktop. After you have downloaded the file (my file was 1394233371_k5_2s107) from the site, double click on it. The double click on that file will cause it to extract the bin file which will appear on your computer (appeared on my desktop). If you have the IIs you use the file I used (fwdc218b.bin), if not you use the other one (fwdc216b.bin) for the II. Whichever is the appropriate bin file for you, you copy to the sd card. You can read the more formal instructions at the Pentax support/downloads site to do the update properly. Like someone else mentioned, make sure your battery is charged before doing the update.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 06:41 PM ----------

I did the update last night and was successful. I was glad to complete it. Thanks.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 06:44 PM ----------

Please note to copy the appropriate bin file to the root of the sd card.

I finally updated my software today after trying several times without success. The trick that worked for me was that I needed to download the .BIN file to my camera instead of to the desktop. Once I did that everything worked like a charm.