Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,914
Leave Body Cap on K-5 IIs When Updating Firmware

Hi,


I just received a new K-5 IIs today. I am curious as to if I want to update the firmware, is it alright to leave the body cap on it while I do the update. I have not opened the box yet, and do not know what version firmware the camera has on it. If it does not have the latest version, I may update it right out of the box with the body cap on before I put a lens on it. I have downloaded Windows version 1.07 for K-5 IIs in case I need it, and have not opened it yet. I have updated my K-5's in the past and am familiar with the procedure, but still download the instructions anyway for each version.


Thanks ahead of time for any help.


Casey

08-07-2014, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,959
Whether or not the cap is mounted is irrelevant as far as the firmware update is concerned. However, I recommend always keeping a body cap on the camera when no lens is mounted, as it will help reduce the number of dust spots on your sensor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,914
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Whether or not the cap is mounted is irrelevant as far as the firmware update is concerned. However, I recommend always keeping a body cap on the camera when no lens is mounted, as it will help reduce the number of dust spots on your sensor.
Adam, I can have the cap mounted while I do the update with the camera turned on and it will not do any harm? I think that is what you mean and just want to make sure.


Thanks,


Casey
08-07-2014, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,959
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Adam, I can have the cap mounted while I do the update with the camera turned on and it will not do any harm? I think that is what you mean and just want to make sure.
Yes, that's right.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,914
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, that's right.
Thank you Adam. I just want to do everything safely. You told me exactly what I need to know. This way I can do the update if I need to, then remove my telephoto lens from my K-5 and place it on the new K-5 IIs.


Now I will have a K-5 for wide angle, K-5 for mid range, and the K- 5 IIs for telephoto (150 - 500) of wildlife/birds. The K-5 is very reliable and does an excellent job, plus the K-5 IIs has its improvements and lack of the anti aliasing filter which I had been interested in.


Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.


Have a good night.


Casey

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-07-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typo
08-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
Make sure the battery is full and format the card in the camera before doing the update.
08-07-2014, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,706
Remember to sacrifice a chicken and cross your heart before doing that upgrade, Casey!
08-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,182
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Hi,


I just received a new K-5 IIs today. I am curious as to if I want to update the firmware, is it alright to leave the body cap on it while I do the update. I have not opened the box yet, and do not know what version firmware the camera has on it. If it does not have the latest version, I may update it right out of the box with the body cap on before I put a lens on it. I have downloaded Windows version 1.07 for K-5 IIs in case I need it, and have not opened it yet. I have updated my K-5's in the past and am familiar with the procedure, but still download the instructions anyway for each version.


Thanks ahead of time for any help.


Casey
Which software package are you using to unzip the .BIN file after you download it ? Or am I missing something ?

08-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,914
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Which software package are you using to unzip the .BIN file after you download it ? Or am I missing something ?
The bin file is located in the file you download from the Pentax site. I downloaded mine to my desktop. After you have downloaded the file (my file was 1394233371_k5_2s107) from the site, double click on it. The double click on that file will cause it to extract the bin file which will appear on your computer (appeared on my desktop). If you have the IIs you use the file I used (fwdc218b.bin), if not you use the other one (fwdc216b.bin) for the II. Whichever is the appropriate bin file for you, you copy to the sd card. You can read the more formal instructions at the Pentax support/downloads site to do the update properly. Like someone else mentioned, make sure your battery is charged before doing the update.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 06:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Remember to sacrifice a chicken and cross your heart before doing that upgrade, Casey!
I did the update last night and was successful. I was glad to complete it. Thanks.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 06:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Which software package are you using to unzip the .BIN file after you download it ? Or am I missing something ?
Please note to copy the appropriate bin file to the root of the sd card.
08-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,182
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The bin file is located in the file you download from the Pentax site. I downloaded mine to my desktop. After you have downloaded the file (my file was 1394233371_k5_2s107) from the site, double click on it. The double click on that file will cause it to extract the bin file which will appear on your computer (appeared on my desktop). If you have the IIs you use the file I used (fwdc218b.bin), if not you use the other one (fwdc216b.bin) for the II. Whichever is the appropriate bin file for you, you copy to the sd card. You can read the more formal instructions at the Pentax support/downloads site to do the update properly. Like someone else mentioned, make sure your battery is charged before doing the update.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 06:41 PM ----------


I did the update last night and was successful. I was glad to complete it. Thanks.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 06:44 PM ----------


Please note to copy the appropriate bin file to the root of the sd card.



I finally updated my software today after trying several times without success. The trick that worked for me was that I needed to download the .BIN file to my camera instead of to the desktop. Once I did that everything worked like a charm.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bin, body, body cap, body cap k-5 iis firmware, box, camera, cap, cap on k-5, desktop, download, dslr, file, firmware, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, site, update
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updating Firmware in K-5 IIs PC228A Pentax K-5 4 04-04-2014 06:51 PM
New Firmware for K-500, K-50, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-5, K-30, K-01, K-r, and 645D is out Adam Pentax News and Rumors 60 09-16-2013 05:46 AM
Problem updating firmware on Pentax K-7 wklopf Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 09-11-2013 09:17 AM
New Firmware For K-01, K-30, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-r Adam Pentax News and Rumors 63 02-18-2013 02:04 PM
K-5 II and K-5 IIs Firmware 1.01 Available Adam Pentax K-5 10 01-18-2013 08:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top