Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I started with Pentax buying the K50 and in a couple of months picked up the K5 lls. I wouldn't trade my K5 lls for anything. Back when I bought my k50 I vasilated between picking up the 18-135 or getting the K50 with two WR kits lens deal and picking the Sigma 17-70mm DC. That Sigma lens practically lives on my camera and is sweet with the K5. It's sharp, fast focusing and is so quiet most of the time if it weren't for the focus light I wouldn't know it focused. Both my kit lenses do fine and they are fun in inclement weather.

08-25-2014, 12:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It all depends on what you are shooting. If you shoot a lot of architecture where there are tons of repeating patterns, then I would purchase the K-5 II rather than the IIs. I own a K-5 IIs and have seen Moire in some of my pictures quite regularly.
08-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all the replies. I have to say I'm having a really tough time choosing between the two cameras. Most of my photos will be family portraits or landscapes with the occasional night cityscape. My head hurts LOL
09-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #19

I was faced wtih the same decsion. I decided to go with the K5 II. First, I looked at the reviews between the two cameras and saw picture comparisons from both. To me the differences were subtle. I'm not sure I could really see much of a difference. I also know that you will see the biggest difference between the K5 II and K5 IIS if you are using really expensive lenses. I have a lot of money invested in lenses but won't be shelling out $1,000 + for lenses that would be able to detect the small difference. To me, keeping morie patterns and false colors out of my photos was more important to me.

So far I have been very happy with the K5 II image quality and find the results of my photography have less to do with my equipment and more with my picture taking skills. Some of my best photographs were taken with my K100D with kit lenses.

09-03-2014, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just to update where I'm at. After a LOT of thinking, I've decided to 'go for broke' and take a long term view. My new K3 should arrive this week :-). I'm very excited about the prospect of getting my hands on Pentax's flagship DSLR!

Thank you to everyone that posted on this thread. I appreciate the welcome you've given me, and the information was extremely useful in helping me decide which way to go.

Cheers,

Simon.
10-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #21
Forum Member

I upgraded from the K5 to the K5IIs and have loved every minute of it. I find that the pictures are sharper. Even my wife says I don't complain as much! ��
10-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K5 and a K5-IIs. My K5-IIs get the most use. Plus now that I have a few auto focus lenses I can see a real difference in auto focus performance between the two. With manual focus lenses they are essentially the same camera, I am lusting after a K3 and when I get one, I think I am going to play with time lapse photography with my K5.

10-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Srhphoto Quote
Oh, another thing :-).

There's been a few comments about the kit lenses. Between the 18-55 and 18-135, which has the best IQ? If I were to want a decent wide angle, what is the best in Pentax mount from both OEM and third party?

Cheers,

Simon.
In response to the 18-55 vs the 18-135... I have both. My 18-55 is version II, not the weather sealed variety. Savoche is absolutely correct, unfortunately, on edge sharpness on the 18-135. I bent over to get some great berry/moss/lichen shots while hiking in the mountains behind our house and, I should have taken a ladder and shot a wider swath as the edges were unusable for anything else other than a PowerPoint slide show. I'd skip both and go with a Sigma or Tamron (check forum for member's Tamron 17-50 issues; I had the same ones) BUT, you won't have weather-sealing on either. If you have the money, look into a Pentax 20-40 for you walk around. I'd like that one but, I'd buy the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 first and/or the Sigma 17-50 that I currently own. I have the K5IIs with no evidence of moire and as tack sharp as I can get with the lenses that I own. I find that some images don't tolerate, or need, a lot of sharpening right out of the box.
11-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #24
Forum Member

I have the K5II and 18-135 WR lens and have been pleased with the sharpness of results I've had so far. I have come from a bridge camera so I am unable to compare it to other DSLR results. This photo of a sheep at a local show this summer I think demonstrates how sharp the camera/lens combo can be...(apologies I had to reduce the size of it to post it - the original is really much better)
Attached Images

11-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never had a K5ii, just the K5IIs for a while. I suspect that for most pictures there would be little difference.