Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #1

Setting for Shake Reduction?

Is there a concensus as to what (in camera) lens setting to choose for SR when mounting an A lens with zoom. Do you have to change the setting to suit the zoom setting or is there an accepted median/average that will work.?

08-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Set it to the length you expect to use most. If you're going to use the whole range, set it to the middle. If you're only going to use part of the range, set it to the middle of the range you expect to use.

If it's a telephoto, I'd guess you might want to set it more precisely since it'll show more. (Now that I think of it, that might be why I got such bad results with my 70-210. )
08-25-2014, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Keep in mind, also, that setting it for a FL shorter than what you are using will give better results than if it is set for a FL longer than what you are using.
08-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Set it to the length you expect to use most. If you're going to use the whole range, set it to the middle. If you're only going to use part of the range, set it to the middle of the range you expect to use.

If it's a telephoto, I'd guess you might want to set it more precisely since it'll show more. (Now that I think of it, that might be why I got such bad results with my 70-210. )
Thanks narual, I suppose that at the end of the day it's a case of trial and error as different tele lenses might throw up different results...

---------- Post added 08-25-14 at 08:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Keep in mind, also, that setting it for a FL shorter than what you are using will give better results than if it is set for a FL longer than what you are using.
Sounds like good advice, Parallax, thanks. I'll certainly bear it in mind and try to implement it when necessary.

08-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
good point. It's going to do a lot more correcting if it thinks you're using longer glass than you are. Maybe setting it in the middle isn't the best idea?
08-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Generally speaking, I shut SR off entirely when I'm using a manual zoom unless I plan to keep it at one set focal length. It tends to lead to higher ISOs and faster shutter speeds, but I can usually compensate for that in post if I start getting noise.
08-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Generally speaking, I shut SR off entirely when I'm using a manual zoom unless I plan to keep it at one set focal length. It tends to lead to higher ISOs and faster shutter speeds, but I can usually compensate for that in post if I start getting noise.
I'd agree - don't see the point of using SR when it's no more then a guess. I usually up the ISO or select a wider aperture if possible, and take extra care with my lens and camera grip and breathe carefully. When you think about it, it will only be right once, every other focal length than the one chosen will be wrong, more and more in both directions the further you are away from chosen setting. I see no real benefit to that, so I leave it off.
08-26-2014, 04:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
I'd agree - don't see the point of using SR when it's no more then a guess. I usually up the ISO or select a wider aperture if possible, and take extra care with my lens and camera grip and breathe carefully. When you think about it, it will only be right once, every other focal length than the one chosen will be wrong, more and more in both directions the further you are away from chosen setting. I see no real benefit to that, so I leave it off.
Looks like there is no easy formula here, As I'm always sitting when I take photos (wheelchair bound), and I use a shoulder harness, as long as I breath correctly I can usually get as low as 1/10th sec before I get any camera shake. Turning SR off might be my best bet.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to help.

08-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Pre Shake Reduction days, the method of prevention, was/still is, setting your shutter speed to at least the focal length of your lens (or in the case of APS-C 1 1/2 times the focal length) then adjusting the exposure through aperture, ISO and exposure compensation. When metering the shot if the shutter speed is metering too slow to prevent camera shake then as previously mentioned the best way to achieve getting your shutter speed to the needed focal length compensation for the lens is by upping the ISO leaving the aperture for the desired depth of field and composition for the shot.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 08-26-2014 at 05:45 AM.