Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

NEED HELP WITH PENTAX -A 400mm lens

Moderator Contact Form Message

HI Adam,
This is Doreen in Canada. I need help setting up my camera (a Pentax 5iis) with the lens I got. It is a Pentax-A 400mm 1;5.6 . What setting to I set the camera to??
Thanks in advance,
Doreen

08-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Lens Question.

Moved to proper area.
08-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Doreen,

Not quite sure yet what help you need. As the 400mm A-series is a manual focus lens, you would need to enter the focal length into the camera when you turn on the camera with the lens attached, but the camera should prompt you to do that on the rear LCD by showing you a focal length sequence for you to move along (with the "arrow" keys) until you reach 400mm--and then you press "OK". If you intend to use the lens only on its A-setting, which allows the camera to select the f-stop, for use (say) in Aperture Priority or Shutter-&-Aperture Priority, then you should be good to go. If you want to use the lens any at a set f-stop (not the A-setting), then you want to go into the Custom menu (item 27) and switch that from #1 (the default) to #2. At least, that is how I remember doing things; I no longer have manual focus lenses. Someone else can correct any mistakes I've made in my instructions..... Hope this helps.
08-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

08-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Make sure the aperture ring on the lens is set to the 'A' position. Then it will work like any other (new) lens except for lack of autofocus...
08-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
re Using Pentax-a 400 mm lens.

the 400 mm lens is one of my favorite focal lengths, and th Pentax-A model works easily.

When you mount the lens the rear sceen will prompt for a focal length to help optimize the shake reduction. I use
either the green mode or the "P" mode, which handle the exposures just fine.

Since the f5.6 is a fairly slow lens, I tend to compensate for that by forcing a fairly high ISO speed.

The 400mm is one of my favorite focal lengths for certain kinds of photos.--- small animals fairly close including birds.
---- i.e. those little creatures across the back deck. You have some chance of hand holding it, or leaning against a door jam
or using a mono-pod, so you can get photos of those critters 30 feet away that don't stay in one place very long.

It's nice to use a high enough ISO so that the lens stops down a ways. this helps with the depth of field that can be pretty
shallow.
08-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The basics are:

Step 1: let the camera know that it is OK to use an older lens with an aperture ring. [p-299 of the K-5II manual]

Go to:
- the camera menu,
- the [C Custom Settings] menu
- select Item 27 on the menu called 'Use Aperture Ring', switch the option to 'Permitted'
- press OK to save that setting, then quit the menu, then
- turn the camera off.

Step 2: mount the lens on the camera, then set the aperture ring on the lens to 'A'.

Step 3: turn the camera on. If you have Shake Reduction turned on in your K-5IIs, then the camera will prompt you for the focal length of the lens, so tell it the correct focal length and hit OK.

Step 4: start shooting.
08-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neerod Quote
Moderator Contact Form Message

HI Adam,
This is Doreen in Canada. I need help setting up my camera (a Pentax 5iis) with the lens I got. It is a Pentax-A 400mm 1;5.6 . What setting to I set the camera to??
Thanks in advance,
Doreen
Set the aperture ring to "A" and the camera's focusing mode to manual, then you'll be able to use the lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-30-2014, 04:59 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Odd that everyone else didn't mention setting the camera to manual focus.
08-30-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Odd that everyone else didn't mention setting the camera to manual focus.
Because there is no need to. You would only need to use MF if you have the camera set to Catch-in-Focus and want to trip the shutter without a focus lock.