Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 Autofocus switch won't turn to M setting

While shooting yesterday with my K-5 with a 16-50 DA* lens, the autofocus stopped working. The autofocus switch won't turn to the M setting (i.e., it only switches between AF.S and C), yet the viewfinder displays MF. (Yes, the lens switch is on AF.) It worked fine until I did a manual focus adjustment after an autofocus. The same lens focuses properly with autofocus on my K-01.

Any recommendations on how to fix this? If I have to send it in for repairs, is this likely to be an expensive fix? My extended warranty ran out a month or so ago.

09-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Try removing the lens and then switch it to M. If the screwdrive shaft isn't engaged, it could be that the lens isn't mounted properly, thus also screwing up the electrical connection.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Try removing the lens and then switch it to M. If the screwdrive shaft isn't engaged, it could be that the lens isn't mounted properly, thus also screwing up the electrical connection.
Thanks, Adam. Switch still won't go to M with the lens off.
09-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Thanks, Adam. Switch still won't go to M with the lens off.
If you have the lens off the camera, you can move the switch to any position (AF-S, C or M) and the camera will display M because it can't communicate with the lens.

If you have the lens mounted on the camera and you can't select any mode but M, it could be:

Dirty lens contacts
Dirty camera contacts
The lens is not fully rotated and seated in the mount
The lens switch is in M, which it isn't because you checked that .

All the above will happen to me with screw drive or SDM lenses. Wipe'em clean with a lens cloth ( you'll see the grime) or fully rotate the lens, and it's fixed.

If the switch on the camera body won't physically move, that's another kettle of fish

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 09-01-2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Correct typos
09-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Brooke. Yes it's that other kettle . . . The manual switch will not rotate to the M position.
09-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Brooke Meyer

Thanks Brooke. Yes it's that other kettle . . . The manual switch will not rotate to the M position.
Figure about $200. That's about the flat rate repair at KEH.com. I whacked the SR lever off a K10 years ago, physically broke it off, and it was about the same to get fixed from Pentax repair. .

Try KEH first, call and see if they can do it. Pentax is changing service providers from C.R.I.S and they are apparently in a period of transition.
09-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Figure about $200. That's about the flat rate repair at KEH.com. I whacked the SR lever off a K10 years ago, physically broke it off, and it was about the same to get fixed from Pentax repair. .

Try KEH first, call and see if they can do it. Pentax is changing service providers from C.R.I.S and they are apparently in a period of transition.
Thanks again, Brooke . . . and greetings from down the road on I-40. I'll let you know what I find out.

09-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
While shooting yesterday with my K-5 with a 16-50 DA* lens, the autofocus stopped working. The autofocus switch won't turn to the M setting (i.e., it only switches between AF.S and C), yet the viewfinder displays MF. (Yes, the lens switch is on AF.) It worked fine until I did a manual focus adjustment after an autofocus. The same lens focuses properly with autofocus on my K-01.

Any recommendations on how to fix this? If I have to send it in for repairs, is this likely to be an expensive fix? My extended warranty ran out a month or so ago.
A new twist on this came up today . . . a connection I didn't think about, but a colleague did. This was my first use of the camera after warranty work that replaced lens release button. (It fell out, as it has for many others.) The lens release button is basically opposite the autofocus within the same lower section of the camera body. What, if anything, could have happened to the autofocus switch while replacing the lens release button?