Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New K-5 IIs owner: couple of doubts

Just got myself a K-5 IIs. I have couple of doubts regarding the camera.

1. When I switch the camera on, some kind of scratching sound comes from the camera. First I thought it is dust removal, but then I turned startup dust removal off and the sound is still there every time I turn on the camera.

2. Viewfinder is very warm compared to my K-x. When I compare both side by side, K-x viewfinder shows colors that are much closer to actual whereas K-5 IIs viewfinder is warm.

Any ideas?

09-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only sound it should make on startup is the dust removal sound. And, I won't describe that as scratching. As the viewfinder is optical, you should see the colours as real as can be. (Unless someone's replaced the focus screen perhaps?) Have you checked shutter count to make sure it's new if it's supposed to be new?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-08-2014 at 10:53 PM.
09-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Curious about those sounds, so it's not the SR system in your estimation? As to color temperature, it can be adjusted in great detail via the menu system - though I haven't seen one need anything right out of the box. I'd contact the sellers and let them know. Hope it's all easy stuff!

Edit - oops, didn't think you meant viewfinder!! I was thinking LCD
09-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
New or secondhand? The only sound it should make on startup is the dust removal sound. And, I won't describe that as scratching. As the viewfinder is optical, you should see the colours as real as can be. (Unless someone's replaced the focus screen perhaps?)
It's a new one. Got it today from Adorama. I've turned off dust removal on startup, so that can't be it.

I'll do some more comparison for viewfinder tomorrow morning in daylight. There's a perceivable difference in color temperature between viewfinders of K-x and K-5 IIs.

---------- Post added Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Curious about those sounds, so it's not the SR system in your estimation? As to color temperature, it can be adjusted in great detail via the menu system - though I haven't seen one need anything right out of the box. I'd contact the sellers and let them know. Hope it's all easy stuff!

Edit - oops, didn't think you meant viewfinder!! I was thinking LCD
I've no idea what the sound is about. On another forum few people also mentioned that the sound is from SR mechanism, and is perfectly normal. They were very casual about the warm color temp about view finder too.

09-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That "scratching" is supposedly from the aperture activator. Mine was quietly audible at first, then the camera had a problem and got serviced. After that, the sound got really loud (and also could be felt through the camera).
I'd describe it as more of a fart though.
09-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup, aperture motor cycling at power-up.
As far as the viewfinder, are you using the same lens for comparison?
09-09-2014, 03:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The difference you are seeing in the viewfinder is you are going from viewing through a Pentamirror on your K-x to a much better Pentaprism. I agree the quick start up noise is the aperture activator, mine does that.

09-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here's what my K5iis sounds like when I switch it on - twice.

As far as I know, this noise is completely normal.
09-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The difference you are seeing in the viewfinder is you are going from viewing through a Pentamirror on your K-x to a much better Pentaprism. I agree the quick start up noise is the aperture activator, mine does that.
That difference in color does have nothing to do with the fact the KX is pentamirror and K5IIs is pentaprism.

The K10D is pentaprism too, and have a more "cooler" and natural rendering of view. The whites look white.

My guess is that it have something to do with the optical engineering of the 100% coverage pentaprism of the K7-K5 bodies, and the fact the camera as a whole is a very compact pro body.
09-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. So looks like nothing to worry about, just couple of things to get used to.
09-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
The K10D is pentaprism too, and have a more "cooler" and natural rendering of view. The whites look white.
Never saw a difference in rendering between my K10D or K20D and K7 or K5...
09-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K-5 IIs and the dust removal is so quiet I don't even know it's ON. I would send the camera back.
09-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I have the K-5 IIs and the dust removal is so quiet I don't even know it's ON. I would send the camera back.
He's not hearing the dust removal though...
09-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #14
kpl

Photos: Albums
That sound ist absolutely ok.
Mine does that, too.
It did that sound when I unboxed it and it still does that after several thousands of shutter actuations
Nothing to worry about.

Cheers,
kpl
09-16-2014, 12:51 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Startup sound is normal with K-5 series.
Here is my video like the one above