Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #1

Green Button adjust only shutter?

I just went from the K200 to the K5 and I'm trying to figure out the green button function. I'd like to have it adjust only the shutter speed, but I can't seem to find any setting that does that. I've tried changing the program line to either high shutter speed or shallow DOF, but neither one seems to do what I'm looking for.

09-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
Forum Member

green button

no expert here but the only way the green button effects shutter speed is when using old lenses with no A setting on the aperture ring...when you manually set the aperture you press the green button to meter for the shutter speed....
09-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The green button resets aperture and shutter to the selected program line, it is an instant access to program mode. If you are in shutter- or aperture priority mode, then green button enters program mode (sets aperture and shutter automatically). If the program line is high shutter speed it tries to set as wide aperture and high shutter speed as possible under the lighting situations. If the program line is DOF, then it tries to set aperture that gives the longest DOF - this means it favors smaller apertures, and it automatically sets the shutter speed after the aperture setting.

The K-5 has HyperMode, or Hyper Program Mode. This means it is fundamentally a program mode (setting aperture and shutter automatically), but when you set the aperture - the camera switches to aperture priority (you set aperture, camera sets the shutter). If you now set the shutter, the camera goes into shutter priority (you set the shutter, camera sets the aperture). To go back to program mode, you press the green button. And Program mode works after the selected program line. In Program mode, you have access to the Av and Tv modes without having to turn the mode dial to them, the camera automatically switches between Av and Tv modes depending if you turn Av (aperture value) or Tv (time value = shutter). If you turn off the camera, then the function resets. If you wish to stay in a certain mode and don't switch to another by accident, then use the locked Av and Tv modes on the mode dial.

The K200 does not have HyperProgram, so this new behavior may be confusing at first.

Program line has no function in aperture- or shutter priority modes, since program line needs to control both aperture and shutter. When you set the aperture you control the DOF, for example. When you set the shutter you control the shutter speeds.

Aperture and shutter works in combination to achieve the correct exposure. Wide apertures means faster shutter speeds, small apertures means slower shutter speeds.
09-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How the green button shifts exposure is determined by setting for exposure bracketing.

By default, exposure bracketing is accomplished by 'Program Shift'
You want to set this custom function to 'Tv Shift'

I also like the green button to leave my aperture alone. So, I have 'Tv Shift' set, myself. Really, 'Tv Shift' works better for bracketing, I think. I don't want aperture changed during bracketing, either.

There may be some times the green button will function differently with different exposure modes set...? What I describe goes for manual mode.

09-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
How the green button shifts exposure is determined by setting for exposure bracketing.

By default, exposure bracketing is accomplished by 'Program Shift'
You want to set this custom function to 'Tv Shift'

I also like the green button to leave my aperture alone. So, I have 'Tv Shift' set, myself. Really, 'Tv Shift' works better for bracketing, I think. I don't want aperture changed during bracketing, either.

There may be some times the green button will function differently with different exposure modes set...? What I describe goes for manual mode.
Thanks Tan. That's exactly what I was looking for. Buried in the menus pretty good.
09-12-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Page 282 in the user manual (English version) is a good place to start when exploring the mysteries of the green button. In most modes it does nothing or simply returns the exposure settings to the program line. In combination with the e-dials it can fulfill several other tasks.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-12-2014 at 06:49 AM.
09-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by partynoparty Quote
... Buried in the menus pretty good.
We like it that way :^|

I've passed through Cody
Was surprised to see Sierra Trading Post there
I like them. Nice company.

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 08:56 AM ----------

Another mole in the manual: Green button will reset ISO to auto. If you have Auto ISO set but then manually select an ISO, great. To go back to Auto ISO, hold down ISO button and use GB.

Last edited by Tan68; 09-12-2014 at 06:57 AM.
09-15-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Q: What does the green button in VIDEO mode ? (K-5)

I use the green button in VIDEO-mode for instant automatic f-stop (because my aperture metering is on fixed)
But I still don't exactly know - but imagine somehow - it also changes shutter-speed and ISO according to the lighting.
This of course is the typical badly messed up (video) situation in K-5 and -7 where nobody knows what is happening at all
(... but tries hard to guess rightly enough)

Here - with mostly photographers of this board - I doubt anyone knows exactly - but I still hope for that - somewhere ...
In my case the green button jumps on f=5.6 or at the most f=6.4 in bright light - which is strange - it seems quite limited.
In low light it goes down to the lowest f-stop - so there at least it works OK - and as wanted ...

Last edited by TomGarn; 09-15-2014 at 01:23 AM.