Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone sent a K-5 in for sensor shake issue?

After nearly 4 years, my first-run K-5 has developed the dreaded sensor shake/sticking issue. as seen here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/180246-bizarre-sr-problem-...ng-itself.html. Since it's well out of warranty by now, I was wondering if anyone had sent their own out-of-warranty unit in to Pentax for repair and if so how much the repair cost and how long the turnaround time was.

I'm trying to plan my next purchase, and if I can hold out until the upcoming (hopefully) FF release, I'd just as soon not invest in a whole new body, but if it's a major pain/massively expensive, I'll probably drop the cash on one of the current K-3 deals and see if I can accomplish the K-5 repair myself.

09-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I did, just two weeks ago. Might not be the same problem though - my K-5 II produced overly blurry images at anything up to 1/200 of a second. Funnily enough, the issue did not occur a) on a rock-solid tripod, b) in Live View, or c) in amy mode which forces SR off.
Sadly, our service centre cannot repair this, so I would have had to send the camera to France. I'll just ask for a replacement, rather than risk having to argue with someone over the internet if the 2-year EU warranty exists or not.
09-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

WIth 4 years of experience you probably know this already, but I'll ask to save a possibly unneeded service call: Is the problem happening when the camera is handheld? SR can shake uncontrollably when the camera is is on a tripod, balanced on a stone wall, etc.
09-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yeah, it's unfortunately pretty much any time the LV is on, as well as when I am trying to do an astrotrace with the GPS (infuriating, since the problem literally appeared the day before my GPS arrived in the mail).

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
WIth 4 years of experience you probably know this already, but I'll ask to save a possibly unneeded service call: Is the problem happening when the camera is handheld? SR can shake uncontrollably when the camera is is on a tripod, balanced on a stone wall, etc.