Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

No Card In Camera K-5

I've had a k-5 for a couple years and have always been very careful with it. I've been using the same card in the camera for a while with no errors. I picked up the camera the other day, to take pictures of my daughter's first birthday party no less, to find that it didn't recognise the card or my other replacement card at all. Battery is fine and cards work in all other devices. I've also tried the cable to my Mac but getting a pc-5 error. Help! Is this a software or hardware problem. I suspect hardware, which is very disappointing and an expensive problem given the camera is 2 years old and well cared for. Some other threads suggest a firmware update but how can I do that if the camera doesn't recognise the card is in the slot.

09-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I noticed some similar problem recently..
I am on old firmware but it never crossed my mind that old firmware would suddenly cause a problem like this..?

I inserted the card a couple times and it was recognized.
I never tried plugging the camera to my computer
The cards are okay in other devices...

I am not sure what could cause this. I don't insert and remove cards often so I can't imagine bad pins or whatever in the camera...
09-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think your best bet before doing anything would be tech advise from Pentax,they may have come across it before.Hope you can fix it without to much cost,there may be a simple fix.
09-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you format the card in the camera?
Is there dust or crud (or spider webs?) in the card compartment?
The contacts on the card reader in the camera may also simply have build up a layer of oxidation, if it has hardly been used for months. Insert and replace the card multiple times to perhaps wear some of the oxidation (or crud) away.

09-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slightly similar issue here ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/225...pc-5-code.html )
09-28-2014, 03:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Cards work everywhere else. Battery is fully charged. Card cannot be formatted in the camera as camera does not recognise it is even in it. Same with 3 other cards I have (all different manufacturers and they all used to work in the camera). I will call tech support and report back.