Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-5 Acting Up In Program Mode

I like to shoot in program mode when I'm doing street shots. More composing /shooting and less fiddling.

Most of the time the program line works just fine. I usually set it for either deep depth of field (person in front of mountains icon) or the narrow depth of field (person in front of blurred background icon). The past couple of times I've done this the camera seems to go a little nuts after working fine for a while.

First my images start coming out way over exposed. Looking at the LCD screen I see that the camera has now defaulted to AV or another manual type mode. Other times when I use the flash as fill flash the over-exposures happen again. This happens more often than the when it defaults to a manual mode. If I turn the camera off and then back on again everything seems to go back to normal program line again (most of the time) and the fill flash works too (although I have to back it down a bit). Very annoying and lost a number of shots this weekend at a local street festival.

This is not lens dependent. It happens with my kit 15-55 or my sigma 17-70. I usually shoot at ISO 200.

Any ideas about what is happening? What I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

09-30-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you turn one of the e-dials when in program mode the camera will go into Av or Tv mode (this is called hyper program). Hitting the green button will reset the camera to the program line.

Could you mistakenly have turned one of the dials?

BTW, how the dials work can be customized.
09-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
First my images start coming out way over exposed. Looking at the LCD screen I see that the camera has now defaulted to AV or another manual type mode.
If you could post one or two of these images (small size is fine) but with the EXIF data intact we might be able to see what happened.
09-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
If you turn one of the e-dials when in program mode the camera will go into Av or Tv mode (this is called hyper program). Hitting the green button will reset the camera to the program line.

Could you mistakenly have turned one of the dials?

BTW, how the dials work can be customized.
Ah ha! Ole, that's probably the answer. Hitting the green button is a great tip too. Damn, things get so complicated!
MSL: Let me see if I have saved any of the bad shots and I'll post. I'm pretty aggressive in deleting things.
Thanks Folks.

09-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
OK, here is an example where the exposure goes nuts after many shots being fine then fine again after turning camera off and on. I tried to use the flash as fill in the overexposed shot and it knocked the speed down to 1/180th vs 1/800
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by eddaytona; 09-30-2014 at 06:04 PM.
09-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
Here is another set.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
MSL
Pentaxian

The EXIF data says all these images were shot in Aperture Priority mode, note Program mode.
What is a little odd is that for both the overexposed pictures the shutter speed was 1/180. Perhaps just a coincidence, but this is the upper limit when the flash is engaged. I've had the odd case where I've caused the flash to partly pop up, which isn't enough to make it fire, but where it might trigger the camera to drop the maximum shutter speed. Feel free to post more pictures - they don't need to be large in size as it is just the EXIF data I'm interested in.