Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2014, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 - One tough camera!

From time to time, a thread appears where someone has a question of the durability of digital cameras. Do we have to baby them? Does weather sealing really work? While I have never purposely held my camera under a faucet, I have always brought it along in all kinds of conditions. Snow skiing, kayaking, hiking and climbing, and I often travel by motorcycle. Well today, with my K5 riding along in the right side leather saddlebag of my Harley, I had the misfortune of going down at a pretty good speed. I hit the pavement and slid to the shoulder and the bike rolled over a couple of times (others told me that, I didn't see it). I was OK and surprisingly, the bike held up pretty good too. I was able to ride it home. A little dented and scraped up but all cosmetic damage. How about the camera? I took some shots at the end of the ride and all seems fine!

Several reviews through the years have mentioned the phrase "Built like a tank!" when reviewing the top of the line Pentax DSLR's. After today, I can add "Survived a motorcycle crash" to the things my K5 has been through in the past 3 years.

10-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I'm glad that you weren't hurt in the accident! Nice that the bike and the camera both came out of it OK as well.
10-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Wow man. Stay safe!! You might be a tough biker but you ain't tougher than pavement at 50mph! LOL

I am glad that you and your camera are both safe and sound.
10-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yikes! Count your blessings and slow down
Couple of guys in my church have recently had bad crashes, taking them a while to get back 100%.

10-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, I was kind of cruising along enjoying all the fall foliage and I had to stop quick. The tires just didn't hold and I went into a slide. My fault. You should never let your mind wander, especially in a large group.

I didn't really think about the camera until the end of the ride. I kind of dreaded opening up the bag because the bike went down on the right side at first. It was fine, as was my DA 15.
10-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
reeftool, I have rode for over thirty five plus and just greatful you were not hurt! Yes, I agree K5 is tough but can be replaced, you on the other hand can not! I get the same rush cruising the SD hills as taking that one of a lifetime photoghraph! Great photos on the road, two wheels up brother!
10-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Glad to hear that you are ok!
10-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Pleased you came out in one piece!
The camera is very much secondary in a motor accident but this is a great tale of durability for sure!

My K-5 goes with me all over the place and I bicycle (mountain bike) with it often....

One day (over a year ago now) riding in longish grass the front wheel completed disappeared into an earthquake crack (the handle bars were on the ground) and I took a quick flying lesson. Turns out the lesson was not so successful and I landed on my camera pack. After dusting myself off and muttering something like "what the luck", I nervously looked in my camera pack. No damage! Sure the camera pack did a good job as well but I'm sure lesser cameras would suffer.

May all your future rides be less eventful.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 10-12-2014 at 08:36 PM.
10-12-2014, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Pleased you came out in one piece!
The camera is very much secondary in a motor accident but this is a great tale of durability for sure!

My K-5 goes with me all over the place and I bicycle (mountain bike) with it often....

One day (over a year ago now) riding in longish grass the front wheel completed disappeared into an earthquake crack (the handle bars were on the ground) and I took a quick flying lesson. Turns out the lesson was not so successful and I landed on my camera pack. After dusting myself off and muttering something like "what the luck", I nervously looked in my camera pack. No damage! Sure the camera pack did a good job as well but I'm sure lesser cameras would suffer.

May all your future rides be less eventful.
Glad your ok! Nice thing about two wheels we can get off the path. I've dropped mine etc. when it comes to rugged A+ for me! ( Not real proud about it, it happens!)
10-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Forum Member

Shiny side up on your K5 my friend!
10-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #11

Having a small lens may have helped. A big lever like a Da*50-135 might have caused something to snap.
10-13-2014, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My camera was inside a Lowepro sling bag which did have standard camera bag padding. I also had a couple of other lenses in the bag which also appear to be fine. I guess my main point with this thread is with a little common sense care, a Pentax DSLR is a pretty durable piece of equipment. Don't be afraid to bring it anywhere.
10-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I ride 363 days and average over 20k miles per year on my motorcycles so I am well aware of the dangers we face every time out. As you noted you cannot let your mind wander and unlike those traveling in cars with one hand on the wheel and the other texting, talking, or otherwise using their cell phone or GPS, we have to be constantly vigilant for those who are doing that. Hopefully you will get back on that horse soon. I write this as I pack for another trip to the Grand Canyon. Packing the K-5IIs as well as one of my Q7ís.

By the way I bet upstate NY was beautiful at this time of year.
10-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Glad you are ok. Stay safe reeftool
11-19-2014, 11:11 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I dropped mine while chasing a Hawk and the only damage that happened was a crack across the top display - tough as