Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member
red5isalive's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 314
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Just check the serial numbers of k-5 reported by users here and you will likely have some idea as to when yours is manufactured.
Pentax K-5 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

I don't think you need to worry about it if the production of your camera has passed one year after it was first introduced.
Thank you very much aleonx3

10-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 888
Isn't manufacture date in the exif data? Or have I got that all wrong??
10-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member
red5isalive's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 314
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Isn't manufacture date in the exif data? Or have I got that all wrong??
It might be John, no idea really. I could not find it on the Exif data at Flickr, but I have found my camera's ID.
10-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
It might be John, no idea really. I could not find it on the Exif data at Flickr, but I have found my camera's ID.
Download "PhotoME" software and open a RAW/JPG file from camera after you installed the software, you will find the "Manufacture Date?" from the EXIF data.

10-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,032
QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
After happily buying a 2nd hand K5 in Japan in my last holidays a week ago not even, and use the body for one single day very happily I came to the spanish forum (Pentaxeros.com) and read in the K5 section that many K5's have had problems, mirror problems, sensor issues, and even they just "die" and do not take any more pictures,
Most of those issues (I think only the sensor stain one was actually a big problem) date all the way back to 2010 and have long since been resolved. There's always a risk when you buy second-hand, but if you got a more recent body, you should be in good shape. Be sure to check your camera for stains and return it if you find any.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
Every "affordable" camera model will have some faulty units, most at the the start of the production. Quality control gets extremely expensive to improve when it's already good. Heck, even Leica and Hasselblad got warranty repairs for a reason. I've not seen anything that points to K-5 being worse than the rest.
10-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #22
Site Supporter
tlong423's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kansas City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 183
QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
. . . So I wanted to ask you guys, about this camera issues and if you overhall are happy with the K5 or if I might have done a mistake by buying a copy.
My wife and I each own a K-5. They are excellent cameras, very rugged and reliable, and extremely nice to use. We have never had any issues with these cameras, whatsoever (and we use them a lot).
10-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #23
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,532
I have not had any problems with my K-5. It's a superb camera.

10-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #24
Site Supporter
dakight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,178
You've already bought it so unless you are having a specific problem right now, quit worrying and just enjoy it. "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." A fancy way of saying that most of us have enough to worry about already without borrowing trouble, that may never happen, from the future.
10-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member
red5isalive's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 314
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Download "PhotoME" software and open a RAW/JPG file from camera after you installed the software, you will find the "Manufacture Date?" from the EXIF data.
Thank you John, will do it today.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Most of those issues (I think only the sensor stain one was actually a big problem) date all the way back to 2010 and have long since been resolved. There's always a risk when you buy second-hand, but if you got a more recent body, you should be in good shape. Be sure to check your camera for stains and return it if you find any.
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Every "affordable" camera model will have some faulty units, most at the the start of the production. Quality control gets extremely expensive to improve when it's already good. Heck, even Leica and Hasselblad got warranty repairs for a reason. I've not seen anything that points to K-5 being worse than the rest.
QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
My wife and I each own a K-5. They are excellent cameras, very rugged and reliable, and extremely nice to use. We have never had any issues with these cameras, whatsoever (and we use them a lot).
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have not had any problems with my K-5. It's a superb camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
You've already bought it so unless you are having a specific problem right now, quit worrying and just enjoy it. "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." A fancy way of saying that most of us have enough to worry about already without borrowing trouble, that may never happen, from the future.
Thank you guys you are all right and I really appreciate all your comments, thank you!
11-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #26
Senior Member
EJMzagsfan's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Idaho
Photos: Albums
Posts: 241
I would just go out and shoot and enjoy your awesome camera. As many here can attest most wont have problems. I would argue against the fact they have everything smoothed with the newer productions. Mine is a later production and the mirror started flopping at about 20,000 shots. The camera still wks well as long as i don't charge the battery completely.

Worrying about what could happen is pretty pointless, at least for me anyways. I wouldnt have gotten rid of my camera even if I would have known it was going to flop because Ive gotten so much enjoyment from it so far.
11-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member
red5isalive's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 314
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
I would just go out and shoot and enjoy your awesome camera. As many here can attest most wont have problems. I would argue against the fact they have everything smoothed with the newer productions. Mine is a later production and the mirror started flopping at about 20,000 shots. The camera still wks well as long as i don't charge the battery completely.

Worrying about what could happen is pretty pointless, at least for me anyways. I wouldnt have gotten rid of my camera even if I would have known it was going to flop because Ive gotten so much enjoyment from it so far.
Thank you EJMzagsfan, you are right, worring makes no sense. Just my thoughts where if I should keep it or not, as I was convinced it's a beast of a camera before buying it and reading those stories at the spanish forum from some guys (one even had 6 K5 with issues....) but after so many answers I see I shouldn't be worried
11-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member
phoenixvision's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,458
I think by now, you realize you have a jewel and there is nothing to worry about.....I shoot with a k5 and a k3....the k5 is my workhorse, it has never let me down...the only real issue I have with it is the low light focusing....but it is stellar......
11-03-2014, 01:26 AM   #29
Veteran Member
red5isalive's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 314
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
I think by now, you realize you have a jewel and there is nothing to worry about.....I shoot with a k5 and a k3....the k5 is my workhorse, it has never let me down...the only real issue I have with it is the low light focusing....but it is stellar......
Thank you phoenixvision I have to take it outside and start doing pictures with
11-03-2014, 01:57 AM   #30
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,532
QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
Thank you John, will do it today.











Thank you guys you are all right and I really appreciate all your comments, thank you!
You're most welcome. I should add that I dropped K-5 a few weeks back and camera is perfect. Lens shattered the UV filter I had on the front, but that was the only damage. These things are built tough!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, camera, copy, database, dslr, flawlessly, issues, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, model, models, pentax, pentax k-5, production, user
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just a wish, and some thoughts on what I hope should be, cmohr Pentax Full Frame 9 09-04-2013 07:12 PM
Okay, I just bought a used K-5... What should I be checking first? minahasa Pentax K-5 1 01-09-2013 11:43 PM
Help please... should i return my k5 i bought yesterday Vipertsniper Pentax K-5 3 02-27-2012 06:03 AM
Should I keep the K20D I just bought? happygodavid Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 24 10-08-2009 04:20 PM
Well, I Must Be a Horses A** ?, I Just Bought Another ... wll Photographic Technique 6 09-08-2009 08:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top