Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 shutter problems

I've had my K-5 for a while now, and last night the shutter started to go sour on me.
I have checked the shutter-count, and although I can't remember the actual shutter actuations, I do remember it was rather high.
Well, last night I played around in video-mode and noticed that the display stayed black a couple of times. As the evening passed, this occured more frequently.
Today I decided to have a closer look at the problem and when taking stills most of them were not exposed at all while a few were severly underexposed.
I tried with several lenses in several modes but the symptom persists.
With the lens off the body and the camera in sensor cleaning mode and with a fully charged battery the mirror flips up but the shutter is still closed.
I guess the shutter mechanism is shot.
Anybody who had the same problem?

11-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a happy story. Have you tried the standard of taking the battery out and leaving it out for awhile before reinserting?
11-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nope, not until you suggested it, no change though.
By flipping the mirror up with a finger and then actuating the shutter it is easy to see how the shutter is built:
Three horizontal curtains each actuated by levers. The levers sweep down from the top and returns upwards again when the shutter action is completed.
The levers lie horizontally,-then sweeping downwards into a vertical position and finally returning upwards. However, they seem to get stuck before completing their travel towards a vertical position, which is why a part of them are visible as long as the shutter is actuated.
It seems that the levers aren't moving far enough downwards. Also there's a sound during the shutter-sequence that just doesn't sound right, like something is trying to move the possibly stuck levers. I have tried to carefully help the levers to continue their movement by pushing them with tweezers, but no luck,-they're stuck when reaching a certain position.
11-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a thought - try a different (new) battery? Maybe the old battery is on its last legs. But my condolences if the shutter is shot.

11-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Just a thought - try a different (new) battery? Maybe the old battery is on its last legs. But my condolences if the shutter is shot.
I was going to suggest the same thing. Please try this before going in with tools and implements of destruction!
11-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've got two batteries, one that came with the cam, and another less than one year old. Never had any problems with them.
11-10-2014, 01:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emtor Quote
I've got two batteries, one that came with the cam, and another less than one year old. Never had any problems with them.
Great! Have you tried the spare battery?

11-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Great! Have you tried the spare battery?
Yes, I've tried both.
I'll call a large camera repair shop to check for how much they charge for a shutter replacement.
-Or,- I'll buy a second hand K-5 for what they usually cost which is anything from 300 to 400 USD (here in Norway).
11-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emtor Quote
Yes, I've tried both.
I'll call a large camera repair shop to check for how much they charge for a shutter replacement.
-Or,- I'll buy a second hand K-5 for what they usually cost which is anything from 300 to 400 USD (here in Norway).
Drat! I suspect the replacement route may well be the cheapest option.
11-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you were in the US, apparently KEH will do it for $215
https://www.keh.com/page/repair-pricing

A quick google shows that, at least in the US, a more typical price for a shutter replacement is $250-450 (with the higher cost being of course for the highest end CaNikon FF cameras with the most advanced/expensive shutters)
11-17-2014, 02:34 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good news. I contacted a large camera repair shop here in Norway, and they'll replace the shutter for 400 USD.
That's about what I'd have to pay for a second hand K5 with anything from a low to a very high shuttercount.
I had expected a much higher figure since we have high wages and high prices here, but 400 USD was not bad at all.