Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I went from a K-7 to a K-5IIs this past spring, could not be happier. Faster focus all around especially in dim light.

12-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by outcast86 Quote
So far I heard a lot of pros for the k-3 but not much in defence of the k-5iis, is it that much of a difference? I'm not crazy about the mp count, space is a bit limited for me, and most of my edit is done on a Celeron netbook, so not much power there. ... maybe I should try and look into the k-5ii (not the s model) ... and don't worry about the moire effect.
I shot an assignment with the K5IIs alongside my Canon 6D and used the shots for large trade show posters. I saw no moire in the Pentax shots and it looked as good if not better than the 20MP-full frame Canon 6D.

Now that I have the K3s, I am shooting an assignment again. This time the subject is tool belts and soft goods for a company called Toughbuilt. I will try to post a few images for all to see. The tool belts, the pouches and the bags are made of a plastic type material that looks like cloth or textured material, for sure a place to see moire. I am happy to report that the K3 images show absolutely no moire. The images are out of this world. I can easily make wall sized poster for trade shows although our initial application is web and possibly brochures and such.

Long story short, do not worry about moire. I have not seen it in either K5IIs or the K3.

---------- Post added 12-07-14 at 09:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by outcast86 Quote
I decided to go with the k-5iis and got it a week ago! I still haven't got the chance to test it out because of work.... at fist inspection of the camera, I noticed the "ratelling" of the sensor, which is said to be perfectly normal in the user manual, but compared to my k-7, it is much more notisablet (I didn't even feel it on my k-7 before...) until I got the k-5iis and got curious .I hope everything will be fine, and today I will finally take my new toy out for a "test drive" I hope it will perform already as well as my trusty k-7, if not better ..
A friend of mine wants to upgrade too. Looks like you made your move just in time. He looked at B&H site and they are showing the K5IIs as discontinued. So he has to go with the K3 now. He was contemplating the move for a few weeks. I wish I got my K5iis and my K3s this cheap! I paid full price for all the bodies. Everyone buying Pentax bodies today is getting super bargains.
12-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I went for the K5II - not the 's' version - and I'm very pleased with it.

I thought about the 's' version and concluded that the biggest barrier to image quality in my photos was my lenses. The test shots with my DA* 60-250 seems to confirm that, they have much better contrast than the 55-300 and I can't see any CR in the corners.

The body is the same size & shape as the K7 so you know what you are getting there - the K3 is slightly larger so you might want to handle one before you buy one.

I have also thought recently about the K3 and have decided not to go there as:

o The K5II has quite enough pixels for my needs
o I have small hands and don't want a bigger or heavier camera
o I don't need all the extra focusing options
o I almost never shoot video
o I won't get significantly improved high ISO performance or dynamic range - these were key factors for me in upgrading from the K7 to the K5II