Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Convince me to upgrade to K-5IIs

So, GAS is getting the best of me lately and I've been looking at new lenses and bodies. I've been shooting my K-5 for a number of years now and I still like it a lot, but sometimes I wish for a bit better micro-contrast or resolution or both. I have a pretty good set of lenses (see my sig) but I am missing AF telephotos above 135mm, and I've had the DA* 200 in my sights for a while. Or maybe the DA 12-24 would also be a nice addition.

But... tonight I had to go visit the B&H site, and I found the K-5IIs going for $529, with the D-BG4 and a 64GB Sandisk card. I already have a D-BG4 for my K-5, so I would most likely sell the new grip and keep only one. If I got $150 for it, I would be happy, and that would give me a minor upgrade for less than $400 and a backup body (my K-5).

I have been looking at the K-3 too, but there are a couple downsides:
- I am not happy with the control changes on the K-3, and they would affect my shooting. The K-5 series was better and I'm perfectly happy with it. Pentax nailed the layout on the K-5, but took a few steps back on the K-3 in my opinion.
- The K-3 takes a different grip. This means if I keep my K-5, I need to have 2 grips. Another grip is more money, on top of the additional cost of the K-3 body over the K-5IIs, and more space in my bag.

I like the K-3 images, but I am also 95% happy with my K-5 images, especially when I use my DA* lenses. While the differences between the K-5 and K-5IIs are relatively minor, given a choice the IIs images are definitely better in my opinion. I shoot mainly landscapes, outdoors and travel, and zero sports. AF accuracy is important, but not so much speed.

Basically, going with the K-5IIs over the K-3 saves me 50%, assuming I'm going to sell the extra grip that I don't necessarily need. I can put the money I saved towards that DA* 200 or DA 12-24...

Comments?

11-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you have issues with the K-5's low-light AF performance, the K-5 IIs isn't much of an upgrade IMHO. Yes, it's a great camera, and yes, the current price is a steal, but I'd personally recommend stepping it up to the K-3, especially if you plan to keep your current K-5. Remember that all K-3's from B&H also include a free grip

My favorite thing about the K-3 is the improved auto white balance, the 3:2 LCD aspect ratio, and of course the higher resolution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am a K5 user and thinking about another body. Same prediction K5lls or K3...hmmmmm. I am happy with the resolution of the K5. Do I really need the resolution of the K3? I am leaning toward a K5lls and an 18-135 over the K3. I will probably change my mind again tomorrow. GOOD LUCK with your choice.
11-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hold on to your K-5 and invest in lenses.

11-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There actually is a way to adapt the K5 grip to the K3... google "DIY K3 Battery grip", first result.

Apart from that, money spent in lenses is better than money spent on cameras... I personally would buy the lenses and not buy a new camera... maybe it's not what you asked, but that's another way to look at the problem.

Edit: I didn't see D1N0's post but... what he said!

Last edited by LensBeginner; 11-26-2014 at 03:20 PM.
11-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I had the same dilemma somewhere in spring and I upgraded from K-5II to K-3 and to be honest I do not use anymore the K-5II (probably will sell it and get another K-3 body in spring). After initial adjustments to the slightly different control layout I personally prefer now the K-3 layout. It is more logical to me and better (love the feature that K-3 can go where you been before in the menu). The resolution is better and some lenses delivers way better on K-3. During the RAW processing the files braking later when pushed to the limits thanks to the increased resolution and I guess the new sensor.

K-5II is great camera and I love it but the K-3 is better.

Also I found out that when I have mixed light sources (incandescent; fluorescent) during the night long exposure shots or anything at night (also with flash use) that K-3 is extraordinary. As for the grips I do not like to attach and deattach the grips every time i switch the bodies therefore no big deal there and even if I had another K-5 body I will get the grip for it anyway. For some nose heavy lenses the grip solves the balancing problem and handling is much better. For example just put on any Pentax body the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art without grip and you will see what I am talking about. Just my 2c. YMMW.
11-29-2014, 02:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. I did some price checking on lenses and bodies, thought about my needs a bit more, and I think I'm going to get the K-3 from B&H with free grip. I'll keep my K-5 around as a second body.

I believe the AF improvements in K-3 are worth the price of the upgrade, because this is something the K-5 sometimes struggles with.
11-29-2014, 03:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've done it !

11-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I've done it !
Nice! Did you get it already? Curious how pictures will look like with your excellent post processing skills.

Do not forget that you can not use same settings like on your K-5. Search here for recommended settings for K-3.
11-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Forum Member

I had focusing issues with my K5. At wide open apertures it was not giving me consistent results. I know that not all K5s suffer from this... mine did. I was shooting indoor events and I just couldn't nail the focus all the time. I was taking 2-3x more pictures than I thought I needed just to make sure I had enough quality frames. Switching to K5IIs I have noticed an increase in keepable shots. I have much more confidence in the camera doing what I want it to, when I want it too. I definitely am not an excellent photography, just a hack, but I am in the camp that the K5IIs is a huge difference maker for me.

I love the sharpness that no AA filter gives me. I love the accuracy shooting wide open. I love being able to shoot in near darkness (can't even focus manually because I can't see, but the camera nails it every time!). That's just me! I love it.
11-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Thanks for all the responses. I did some price checking on lenses and bodies, thought about my needs a bit more, and I think I'm going to get the K-3 from B&H with free grip. I'll keep my K-5 around as a second body.

I believe the AF improvements in K-3 are worth the price of the upgrade, because this is something the K-5 sometimes struggles with.
I have both k-5 and k-5IIs, I can say that I use the k-5IIs more often because it's better for low light shooting with higher accuracy, sharpness and quickness. I also think that the IQ is better although the k-5 is not bad either. I do need to use both camera when I am shooting events, I usually pair the k-5 with the 50-135 while I use the k-5 IIs for short zoom/prime or MF lenses.
11-30-2014, 03:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Nice! Did you get it already? Curious how pictures will look like with your excellent post processing skills.

Do not forget that you can not use same settings like on your K-5. Search here for recommended settings for K-3.
Thank you but I ordered a K-5IIs for half the price...
11-30-2014, 06:15 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Thank you but I ordered a K-5IIs for half the price...
You will not be sorry. That is a solid camera.
11-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm still on the fence but I think my original plan of a K-5IIs is the better choice at the moment and then put the money saved towards more glass to fill the gaps in my lens kit. I also want to wait and see what comes in 2015, so better to not invest in a more expensive body now.
11-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I'm still on the fence but I think my original plan of a K-5IIs is the better choice at the moment and then put the money saved towards more glass to fill the gaps in my lens kit. I also want to wait and see what comes in 2015, so better to not invest in a more expensive body now.
Exactly! Glass is the key to good pictures. It can be done with kit lenses but the real gems generally only appear through the better lenses. The K5iis is an excellent camera and the equal of the K3 in many critical areas. You will not be sorry. Get a good prime!