Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Couple quick questions from a new K5 owner (upgraded from K-x)

I've finally outgrown my K-x, as I've started doing more long exposure work and tired of going into debug mode to re-set micro focus adjustment that is a global setting and not lens specific. This single setting works well enough for most lenses I have , but my A-28 f2.8 and 90mm Macro need opposite adjustment whenever mounted. However, the biggest gripe I have is the long exposure noise edit override that cripples workflow. Even when shooting in RAW only the camera takes as long to process the image as it does to take the photo. So a 5min exposure now takes 10min of time. Therefore I have come into some missed shots as light and colors change fast.

So, how exactly does the K5 store lens profiles and can I completely turn of the long exposure noise editing in the setting so I can edit it later in PP?

12-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Slow Shutter Speed NR setting is under Camera Menu 3. There are 3 settings. Auto, On & Off.

Not sure what you mean by lens profiles. The K-5 can do lens correction with newer lenses (FA Limited and DA). The K-5 can also correct AF for individual lenses. That is under Custom Menu 4, item 26 AF Fine Adjustment...
12-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Slow Shutter Speed NR setting is under Camera Menu 3. There are 3 settings. Auto, On & Off.

Not sure what you mean by lens profiles. The K-5 can do lens correction with newer lenses (FA Limited and DA). The K-5 can also correct AF for individual lenses. That is under Custom Menu 4, item 26 AF Fine Adjustment...

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering........when correcting micro-focus for individual lenses, I suppose you assign them and try and remember which lens gets which adjustment profile number? Such as lens A. 50mm f1.4has +3 is listed under #1, lens B. Tamron 70-200mm has -2 is assigned #2.............and so on? I know with newer Pentax branded lenses it knows automatically as well right? But 3rd party lenses have to be done manually?

And, with my K-x it also has those same options under Slow Speed NR but even then, when exposing longer than 30sec it defaults to "ON" with no way to completely turn it off. Just wondering if this is also the case with the K5? I'm supposing not, as not research I did talks of it.
12-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You can completely turn off the K5 long exposure NR. It will never take a dark frame no matter the shutter length or ISO.

12-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
You can completely turn off the K5 long exposure NR. It will never take a dark frame no matter the shutter length or ISO.
Thank God!!! It's something that can be much faster and easier to take care of in post. And lately, waiting double the amount of time for the camera to process long exposure photos is an exercise in anger management!!!

Last edited by nms_photog; 12-03-2014 at 06:58 PM.
12-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can turn off lens correction in the menus. Remember this only applies to JPG, if you're shooting RAW it doesn't matter.
12-05-2014, 03:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
But 3rd party lenses have to be done manually?
No. The camera remembers the AF adjustments you have made for Tamron, Sigma etc lenses and will automatically apply them if it can read the lens ID from the lens contacts.

You don't need to do anything other than just make sure 'Apply One' is the main option set in the AF adjust menu. Up to 20 lenses will be automatically remembered by the camera.

Of course, the lenses have to be auto-focus lenses for AF adjustment to have any point.