Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Live View

My K-5 IIs underexposes by about 1 stop in Live-View, is this normal faulty or am I just nit-picking ?

12-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Live view meters differently than through the viewfinder, so results may vary but from my experience it's generally more accurate.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not seen that behavior - what mode are you shooting in, and what is your metering mode?
If you are in M with locked ISO there should be no difference.
Does this happen with multiple lenses?
12-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both of my K-5 often meters differently in liveview compared to through the viewfinder. It's quite logical when taking in mind that through the viewfinder it got a limited number of "spots" to take measurement from and try to guesstimate the exposure while in liveview is uses the actual image sensor. One thing I've noticed is that live view is is really conservative when it risks blowing out highlights in the picture.

12-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I have not seen that behavior - what mode are you shooting in, and what is your metering mode?
If you are in M with locked ISO there should be no difference.
Does this happen with multiple lenses?
The ISO is locked. So when I'm in 'P' Automatic mode, either the shutter or the aperture is one stop lower than when I'm not in Live View.

When I'm in 'AV' Aperture Priority mode, then the shutter speed chosen by the camera is one stop higher than the shutter speed when I'm not in Live View.

Both images look fine to me, but the image taken in Live View looks a little bit under-exposed.
12-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But how does the actual exposure compare. In Auto mode(s) shutter speed is continuously variable but only reports in "fixed" stops as I understand it. In P-mode aperture would also report steps incrementally. Try comparisons between modes using a blank wall or northern sky light.
12-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To me, it meters in both modes the same, and I use liveview at work about everyday.

12-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
In my experience it would not make any difference as for exposure.
Focusing is another thing - although slower I prefer focusing in LV.
12-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #9

What kind of exposure lengths are you working with? Why and all our only longer exposures? The light meter can pick up stray light from the view finder and throws off the exposure, especially in long exposure work. Hence, the reason you're provided with a view finder block.