Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K5 Petzval project

So i have this idea, after next upgrade from Pentax K5 to any next K flagman camera, witch will be realist next year, i think to convert my K5 in to Petzval lens camera. The process thinking about is to get http://adaptist.weebly.com/pentax-k-multi-mount.html Pentax K+ Multi-Mount and to get http://shop.lomography.com/lt/lenses/art-lenses/petzval-nikon-mount-brass Lomography Zenit Petzval Lens. The only question is; will it work?

Last edited by i83N; 12-10-2014 at 02:22 PM.
12-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I am not sure whether the project will work or not, but the links do not
I am curious about the project so please try to fix them
12-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I think the multi-mount only works on the non weather-sealed models, so not the K-5. I was thinking of putting it on my K-01...

EDIT: Nevermind, I see they came out with the weather-sealed version too.

http://adaptist.weebly.com/
12-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I doubt you will get real swirls as that would require a FF I think. My next lens purchase on my plan is to get an old one for my 5X7.

12-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should work with the multi-mount kit with Nikon shims, though the full effect is best realized with a FF camera.

Steve
01-04-2015, 11:42 PM   #6

Get a Helios 44-2, or a Jupiter-9 f2, and a and a genuine Pentax M42 adapter. The Helios will give you some swirls, and the Jupiter the very best oldschool creamy bokeh. They're easier to use than a Petzval lens and you'll save money!
01-05-2015, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I doubt you will get real swirls as that would require a FF I think. My next lens purchase on my plan is to get an old one for my 5X7.
I tested the Petzval with my D7000. It makes swirley bokeh like a Spiritone. The Lomo store had a little Canon in the store for demo purposes. It made swirley bokeh on the Canon too. The only reason I didn't buy one is because it doesn't come in Pentax K-mount.
01-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I tested the Petzval with my D7000. It makes swirley bokeh like a Spiritone. The Lomo store had a little Canon in the store for demo purposes. It made swirley bokeh on the Canon too. The only reason I didn't buy one is because it doesn't come in Pentax K-mount.
That is good to know, thanks

01-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I've read some reviews about that Petzval lens. It seems expensive, large, heavy, unwieldy (knob for focusing, fiddly, removable aperture plates,..).. basically, it seems like it has a lot of cons and very few pros. I would also suggest a regular adapter with Helios 44-2, Helios-40-2 (85mm f1.5, there is an old version and a brand new version), Industar, Jupiter, Spiratone.. many of these classics come in m39, m42 and some even in K-mount.
Also, wouldn't the Canon version be easier to adapt, since Canon and Pentax have the same register distance?
01-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I've read some reviews about that Petzval lens. It seems expensive, large, heavy, unwieldy (knob for focusing, fiddly, removable aperture plates,..).. basically, it seems like it has a lot of cons and very few pros.
People don't buy that thing because of the spec sheet. They buy it mainly because it is cool. Most people that would buy it do not have a stable of classic lenses and don't know anything about lenses, they have modern lenses and "this cool Petzval thing that takes these old-timey images!". I know someone who bought one for their Canon full-frame, and they are tickled to death with it. They take pictures of their kids with it.
01-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I've read some reviews about that Petzval lens. It seems expensive, large, heavy, unwieldy (knob for focusing, fiddly, removable aperture plates,..).. basically, it seems like it has a lot of cons and very few pros. I would also suggest a regular adapter with Helios 44-2, Helios-40-2 (85mm f1.5, there is an old version and a brand new version), Industar, Jupiter, Spiratone.. many of these classics come in m39, m42 and some even in K-mount.
Also, wouldn't the Canon version be easier to adapt, since Canon and Pentax have the same register distance?
It is expensive, large, heavy, unwieldy, etc...

Four things I really liked about it were: 85mm, very sharp focus with the microscope knob, swirly bokeh, and the special aperture inserts shaped like stars and clovers and such. It is also brass and very solid.
01-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Get an Original instead, Carl Zeiss Biotar 75mm f1.5 . same bokeh if you want it and much better resale value.
Also better build quality.
Had one sold it...
01-07-2015, 11:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Get an Original instead, Carl Zeiss Biotar 75mm f1.5 . same bokeh if you want it and much better resale value.
Also better build quality.
Had one sold it...
I will consider that as an option (: