Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #1

How can I Factory reset

Hey Guys
Not new to photography but this is my first pentax. I bought it used ... never bought a used camera ... it seems to run a little high when I use aperture priority. Meaning everything looks tooo bright and I dont seem to get a good shot unless I stop down the exposure to -.7

Seems to work ok when in green mode. I dont know what settings were changed by the previous owner and would like to start from scratch. Is there a way to return all the camera settings to factory. Almost like a reboot?
Thank you for any help
Alex

12-16-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What lens are you using?
If you go to manual mode you can change all the settings.
If pictures are too bright maybe the shutter speed is very slow, the ISO is very high or a small aperture number.
12-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asumofparts Quote
Hey Guys
Not new to photography but this is my first pentax. I bought it used ... never bought a used camera ... it seems to run a little high when I use aperture priority. Meaning everything looks tooo bright and I dont seem to get a good shot unless I stop down the exposure to -.7

Seems to work ok when in green mode. I dont know what settings were changed by the previous owner and would like to start from scratch. Is there a way to return all the camera settings to factory. Almost like a reboot?
Thank you for any help
Alex
Go to the setup menu (wrench icon), the reset option should be on the last page.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2014, 02:12 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Go to the setup menu (wrench icon), the reset option should be on the last page.
The reset option is in the third page.

12-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

If the reset doesn't help -- this could be caused by a non-stock focusing screen (the kind you'd install to make it easier to focus manually with large aperture lenses). Does it only happen when you're using spot metering, or does it happen with the other two types as well?
01-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
If the reset doesn't help -- this could be caused by a non-stock focusing screen (the kind you'd install to make it easier to focus manually with large aperture lenses). Does it only happen when you're using spot metering, or does it happen with the other two types as well?
I think you may have hit it. When I got the camera there were what looked like smudges through the viewfinder. I cleaned the mirror and lens but it is a weirdness that is on the focus screen. Is there a way to tell if it is stock? Can you give me a item number for the stock piece. I dont want to throw good money after bad if this camera isnt what I am looking for but its built like a brick shit house and I would like to keep it rather than sell it at a loss.
Thank you for any help ... Its got me insane.
Alex
01-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure. When you look through the viewfinder, are there lines, dots, crosshairs, any kinds of markings? Are they darker or lighter than the surroundings? Is there a split prism in the center?

The stock screen for the K5 looks like this, with the lines in black:

If you see something like this:

that's a katzeye or something similar, with a split prism and microprisms. They can cause problems with spot metering since they're brighter in the center.

or if the lines are light/white colored like this (ignoring the round bits in the center):

That's probably from focusingscreen.com - they take some of the better canon and nikon screens and cut them to size for other models. The white lines are because they laser polish them into otherwise matte screens, which makes them show up brighter. There are some posts about those causing metering issues, as well, maybe because the lines are a bit brighter.

The stock focusing screen is fairly useless if you try to manual focus at wide apertures through the viewfinder, so people tend to change them out. (LiveView isn't affected, neither is autofocus) The good replacements are a bit expensive, so if you got a good deal on the camera and it has a katzeye or an ee-s screen or something in it, you came out ahead. Either get used to adjusting if you spot meter, or you could probably get a stock screen and sell the other one.

The pentax branded focusing screens are listed here: Focusing Screens (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Katzeye here: Pentax DSLRs - KatzEye Optics
FocusingScreens here: Focusing Screen

---------- Post added 01-29-15 at 04:33 PM ----------

You can use a cellphone to take a photo through the viewfinder to show us what you're talking about with the smudges, too. Can't hurt. If they don't show up in the picture after you take it, they're probably on the focusing screen or thereabouts.

It's possible to clean it. It's just a royal pain to get it out and even moreso to put it back in the camera.

Tiny bit of liquid dishwasher detergent mixed really well in a larger amount of water (2ml/500ml or .5 tsp/2.5 cups), swish it around for a bit without touching anything at all to it except the water, blow it completely dry with compressed air (from far enough away that it won't risk getting the liquid from the can on it), put it back in.
01-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asumofparts Quote
there were what looked like smudges through the viewfinder
By lack of better wording, focusing screens always look 'dirty' or 'grainy' when looking through the viewfinder. If that is what you're observing, there is nothing to worry about.

05-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #9

Dear friends about the blue LCD com's to Pentax k5 except the auto and user position to fix it go to menu then go to last page last line reset custom functions and wait seconds then go to the reset in the page number 8 in menu then press to reset and wait for seconds it will finish the problem
Thanks