Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

SR

Having the K-5 II for about a week now, I have to agree with all the comments about the ergonomics and handling of the camera; it is indeed (almost) perfect.
I do have however a couple of things I'd like to put out there. Please remember, this is only a personal opinion, YMMV...
First is the fact that when adjusting the ISO, the meter is gone, which makes it more of a guessing game. I believe it would be great if one could adjust the ISO values according to the meter...
Second is the SR, and my simple question is: Why not have a dedicated button/lever/dial, to turn it on/off? On a fast-paced shooting condition (think weddings), having to go inside a couple of menu pages, is not ideal...
Any thoughts?

12-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
Why not have a dedicated button/lever/dial, to turn it on/off?
They used to have a dedicated switch on older DSLRs like the K10D, but I guess it just didn't get used enough to be worth it. You can use a user mode or the control panel to quickly disable SR. Plus, it's automatically disabled for remote/self-timer shooting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They used to have a dedicated switch on older DSLRs like the K10D, but I guess it just didn't get used enough to be worth it...
...or the control panel to quickly disable SR....
Too bad, that would have been a nice feature.
This is actually a great advice. Haven't thought of it yet. Thank you!
12-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Having the K-5 II for about a week now, I have to agree with all the comments about the ergonomics and handling of the camera; it is indeed (almost) perfect.
I do have however a couple of things I'd like to put out there. Please remember, this is only a personal opinion, YMMV...
First is the fact that when adjusting the ISO, the meter is gone, which makes it more of a guessing game. I believe it would be great if one could adjust the ISO values according to the meter...
Second is the SR, and my simple question is: Why not have a dedicated button/lever/dial, to turn it on/off? On a fast-paced shooting condition (think weddings), having to go inside a couple of menu pages, is not ideal...
Any thoughts?
I don't have K-5ii so my comments might be off the mark.

1. ito adjusting iso, if you are in any mode other than manual, you will have some other variable floating so it is more than just a guessing game, but a circular impossible loop. If on manual, then the meter should tell you the Ev change required.

2. I also miss SR switch from K-200d on newer models, but there are a few quick ways to change. I use User->User->Rear-wheel->User on K-5. You have to prep the panel but once you have the cursor on SR toggle it should return directly the next time.

Hope this of some use

12-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
I don't have K-5ii so my comments might be off the mark.

1. ito adjusting iso, if you are in any mode other than manual, you will have some other variable floating so it is more than just a guessing game, but a circular impossible loop. If on manual, then the meter should tell you the Ev change required.

2. I also miss SR switch from K-200d on newer models, but there are a few quick ways to change. I use User->User->Rear-wheel->User on K-5. You have to prep the panel but once you have the cursor on SR toggle it should return directly the next time.

Hope this of some use
1 - I shoot manual, and one can only 'see' the meter after changing the ISO, not during the change itself...

2 - Yes. That is actually going to be much faster, as Adam already suggested.

Thanks again.
12-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It's unfortunate the RAW FX button can't be configured to toggle SR. You can simplify your menu diving with a little prep when you expect to keep toggling SR on and off.

Prep: Press Info once to open the shortcut menu. Scroll to the SR icon. Half-press shutter to leave the menu. The camera should remember you are on the SR icon until you select a different icon.

Toggling the setting: Press Info once. Rotate the rear wheel to change SR. Half-press shutter to leave the menu. (Or something like that. My K-5 is not here for me to verify.)
12-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It's unfortunate the RAW FX button can't be configured to toggle SR. You can simplify your menu diving with a little prep when you expect to keep toggling SR on and off.

Prep: Press Info once to open the shortcut menu. Scroll to the SR icon. Half-press shutter to leave the menu. The camera should remember you are on the SR icon until you select a different icon.

Toggling the setting: Press Info once. Rotate the rear wheel to change SR. Half-press shutter to leave the menu. (Or something like that. My K-5 is not here for me to verify.)
Yes, that button would also be my bet/choice...
And, yes , that's exactly how I'm doing it now. Actually, it is pretty fast...
12-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #8

why ever turn it off?

if you are on a tripod, just enable remote: SR is off.
and hand hold - is there any reason to disable it?

Edit: I don't want to troll, I am just curious.

Last edited by Volker76; 12-22-2014 at 08:40 PM.
12-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
and hand hold - is there any reason to disable it?
If you are panning with action. Airshows, birds in flight, many sports should have SR turned off.
12-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And anything with a reasonably fast shutter speed.
12-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

And anything with a reasonably fast shutter speed.
Why? If you're not moving the camera around quickly while shooting (which may fool the SR) there is no need to turn it off as far as I know.
12-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If you are panning with action. Airshows, birds in flight, many sports should have SR turned off.
and then have camera shake and motion blur?
12-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

no reason to have it off, unless you are on tripod... but then if you use timer, it is automatically off.
12-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yep, It will also turn off using remote, the mirror up settings and bracketing using timer or remote.
12-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
and then have camera shake and motion blur?
Camera shake from uneven movement is a risk when panning but sometimes it's the only way to get an image. Let's say a target is quickly moving across your field of view and there's not enough light to go with a high enough shutter speed to freeze motion. You either hold the camera still and get a sharp background with blurred target, or pan to get sharp subject with blurred background. If you want the latter you must pan.

Pentax SR should be turned off before panning. Some Sigma lenses have OS (optical stabilization) that can be switched between full stabilization and vertical-only stabilization so you can pan horizontally.

Here's one of many articles on the subject Panning (camera) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia