Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
So, I'm not the only one this has happened to? Got a K-5 and I've tried almost every flash I have and have had inconsistent issues. It always fires my first frame then I loose 4 in a row before I get something. ???

03-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
So, I'm not the only one this has happened to? Got a K-5 and I've tried almost every flash I have and have had inconsistent issues. It always fires my first frame then I loose 4 in a row before I get something. ???
Can you elaborate? Which flashes? What do you mean by "It always fires my first frame then I loose 4 in a row before I get something"?

Any of your flashes has auto-thyristor mode? pTTL is not the most solid approach to TTL; as mentioned in an earlier post, auto-thyristor will give better results; but might require some manual settings on flash (depending on make/model).
03-20-2015, 12:27 AM   #18

I put my K-5 through some rigorous testing this evening, using just about every flash I have. The pattern is still inconsistent, with just about every flash failing to fire as much as it did. I even used a Vivitar 285 and my Sunpak 622 and the pattern repeated itself. I cleaned all contacts, still same thing. I put the same flashes on my K-3, and that was like a Swiss Watch, fired every songle time no mater what flash was used. That is also true of my K-50 and K-30 as well. I'm hoping the latest firmware update has a handle on this, just downloaded it tonight and put it into the K-5.
Well, I got the firmware update, but same thing happens. I use a flash and it fires on my first frame, then I lose 5-7 shots until it feels like firing again. It even seemed to fire but I got a blank black picture. I used a Vivitar 285, Sunpack 530, Pentax 540, and Sunpack 622, and all had the same issues. I even tried the 285 and 622 on the camera using a PC cord, but to no avail. Used the same flashes on my K-3, worked like a Rolex. WTH is going on here? And forget bouncing the Pentax 540 flash on my K-5, one goose egg after another with that; but absolutely no issues with the K-3, K-30, and K-50. SMH...
03-20-2015, 01:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your problem might be related to the issue mentioned in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/162331-mounted-yn-560-flash-problem.html

It's my impression that the trigger circuit (center pin, maybe PC contact) in the K5 has changed from previous models. As a result, the flash will only fire once. The change might have been 'reversed' in later models (I don't know, you're experience implies it was).

To solve the issue, you have to do some investigation. You need something in between the K5 and the flash that electronically decouples the flash from camera. Off-camera flash with radio triggers will do the trick (but might not suite your needs).

pTTL bounce flash on the K5 is a known issue (there are numerous threads here); try the AF540FGZ in auto-thyristor mode or full manual. It should fire consistently. If not, there is something wrong with the camera.

03-21-2015, 04:05 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Have you tried the built in flash at all?
03-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #21

I just tried a bunch of flashes on K-5 and all had issues. Tried them on my K-3 and they all fired, every time.