Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If it is from a rangefinder then it is not M42...
Whoops! I was thinking about my old Yashica. It's a J-7 SLR not a rangefinder. Nice looking Yashinon DX 50mm f/1.7 - wish it wasn't fungus ridden...

01-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I love that your wife fiddled with the adapter to get it off when it balked for you. Great story. Women have more patience -- men are tempted to brute force things and sometimes that's not the answer. I could seldom find the removal tool so used a tiny screwdriver to release it. They're a nuisance but needed for infinity focus, so I guess I am stuck.

I use a lot of these rings on all the M42 lenses, so I take off the retaining spring before installation. I can't be bothered with the tool, and the tiny screw on the clip is famous for either working out or scraping the threads of the M42 lens if it's a tad long. No precision in these. Without the spring clip, my concern is that I might twist the lens off when changing aperture/focus, so on my TO DO list is drilling a slot for the lock pin on those lens that are wide enough. Many are not, they are beveled up from the mount and can't lock. So far, no big problem with lenses spinning off, but I'm watchful.

The real Pentax adapters might be better made, but at $50 they are not in my budget.
Pentax Adapter B - Adapts Pentax K Bodies to Screw Mount Lenses 30120
Pentax Mount Adapter K 30120 B&H Photo Video

What I really want is a cheap source of the flanged adapters. Most are in the $20 range, compared to the cheap ones around $7.
Kipon Lens Mount Adapter from Pentax Screw M42 To Pentax/K Body - (With Inner Ring)
General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter ABPKS B&H

I like to have an adapter on each lens, so I use a bunch. As it is now, certain lenses that lack the A/M lever won't retract the aperture pin and that hangs on the power zoom contacts in the camera (I think that's where). So, got to do surgery on the lens to remove the pin, silly. But the old lenses are well worth the effort, so just consider this letting off steam.... It's getting to be automatic, kind of like removing the Ricoh pin on the KR mount lenses.