Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife, My Hero. Adapter ring stuck

Well today I thought I would try out a Asahi SMC Takumar 1.8 55mm lens on my K-5 II. I got this M-42 adapter ring ( Pentax Film or Digital Camera to Pentax ScrewMount M42 Lens Adapter Ring. The adapter attached to the lens easily. I removed the adapter and attached it to the camera, no problem. I attached the lens and noticed that when fully screwed on the top of the lens was positioned on the side, not facing the top of the camera. I removed the lens easily and the adapter remained on the camera body as it was suppose to. Then I was unable to remove the adapter from the body. The adapter came with a removal tool, but no instructions on how to use it. I fiddled with it for a while but the adapter remained stuck on the camera. I did a search in the forums and found others who experience the same problem. I guess I should have removed the little spring clip that is attached to the adapter that locks it in place. I fiddled with it some more but could not get the little spring to move enough to release the adapter. My wife asked if she could look at it. Five minutes later she had it out.
I removed the little spring clip from the adapter and still might try it again.

01-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Well today I thought I would try out a Asahi SMC Takumar 1.8 55mm lens on my K-5 II. I got this M-42 adapter ring ( Pentax Film or Digital Camera to Pentax ScrewMount M42 Lens Adapter Ring. The adapter attached to the lens easily. I removed the adapter and attached it to the camera, no problem. I attached the lens and noticed that when fully screwed on the top of the lens was positioned on the side, not facing the top of the camera. I removed the lens easily and the adapter remained on the camera body as it was suppose to. Then I was unable to remove the adapter from the body. The adapter came with a removal tool, but no instructions on how to use it. I fiddled with it for a while but the adapter remained stuck on the camera. I did a search in the forums and found others who experience the same problem. I guess I should have removed the little spring clip that is attached to the adapter that locks it in place. I fiddled with it some more but could not get the little spring to move enough to release the adapter. My wife asked if she could look at it. Five minutes later she had it out.
I removed the little spring clip from the adapter and still might try it again.
Good wife

I did the same thing, but luckily tried it on an old camera first. I ended up unscrewing the entire mount from the camera in order to get the adapter off... Then I removed the bloody spring!
01-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's absolutely normal that the lenses don't align at 12 o'clock. I have two original Pentax adapters and none of my M42 lenses align to the top with either of them.
01-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the same panicked feeling with a Kalt adapter until I played with the tool a bit. They are not very intuitive...

01-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Disappointing to see that annoyance from a pricier adapter. For $3 or so it would be worth having to remove the
spring, but for $20 I'd rather just splurge for a genuine adapter and rest easy.
01-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #6

Those Bower adapters are not machined well at all. Most claim that the pricey genuine Pentax M42 adapter is the only way to go but even it is flawed. The little screw that holds the flange in place needs to be checked and re-tightened because it can work it's way loose over time. You don't want that little screw bouncing around your mirror box or falling on your sensor!
01-04-2015, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Those Bower adapters are not machined well at all. Most claim that the pricey genuine Pentax M42 adapter is the only way to go but even it is flawed. The little screw that holds the flange in place needs to be checked and re-tightened because it can work it's way loose over time. You don't want that little screw bouncing around your mirror box or falling on your sensor!
Interesting. I have been using two Pentax brand adapters (one bought long ago and one bought a couple years ago) and have never had any trouble. Guess I'll have to take a look at this little screw. Though how it could come loose while sandwiched between camera and lens is confusing.

01-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a KALT and a Pentax and honestly I don't see a lot of difference in the two. The KALT was New Old Stock and is very well made. The main issue with it was the actual wrench - it's a little difficult to describe the process for removing it vs. doing it. The first couple of attempts were thwarted by the tool hanging up due to the way it's designed and once I figured out how to hold it and slip past the things that it caught on - it was pretty easy to use. My Pentax adapter did not come with a wrench - so I don't know if that's the difference or if there are other factors.
01-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote

Blue Locktite might fix the problem.
01-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
It's absolutely normal that the lenses don't align at 12 o'clock. I have two original Pentax adapters and none of my M42 lenses align to the top with either of them.
They might be off a little bit, but it shouldn't be much, certainly not 90 degrees rotation. My genuine Pentax ones are spot-on, and my cheap ones are ok too. I had one batch of cheap ones where the lenses all mounted upside-down. Sent them back...
01-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
They might be off a little bit, but it shouldn't be much, certainly not 90 degrees rotation. My genuine Pentax ones are spot-on, and my cheap ones are ok too. I had one batch of cheap ones where the lenses all mounted upside-down. Sent them back...
If I recall correctly, mine are at around 11 o'clock.
01-06-2015, 12:05 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I finally used the adapter to compare Asahi SMC Takumar 1.8 55mm lens with the FA 50mm F2.8 macro. Other than a slight focal length & one stop faster I didn't see much difference. For night or low light photography I did like the Takumar better because it was easier to manual focus. For this reason I think I will look for some older manual wide angle lens, but they will be one with a K mount, no more M42.
01-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
If I recall correctly, mine are at around 11 o'clock.
I have 3 genuine OEM adapters. Two made in the Philippines and one manufactured in Japan. The Japan made one is labeled "Pentax Japan", not "Asahi Pentax Japan" as the earlier ones. My lenses align to about the 10-11 o'clock position on all the adapters. I thought perhaps it was only the Philippine manufactured ones that were off so I acquired the Japan made one.

Not a big deal but sometimes I get obsessive-compulsive over little things like this.
01-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I have 3 genuine OEM adapters. Two made in the Philippines and one manufactured in Japan. The Japan made one is labeled "Pentax Japan", not "Asahi Pentax Japan" as the earlier ones. My lenses align to about the 10-11 o'clock position on all the adapters. I thought perhaps it was only the Philippine manufactured ones that were off so I acquired the Japan made one.

Not a big deal but sometimes I get obsessive-compulsive over little things like this.
Mine is Made in Japan and says:

ASAHI PENTAX on the top, and JAPAN on the bottom. The surface facing the shutter is coated black where the cheaper KALT isn't. The original box that came with it says, ASAHI PENTAX in red letters then MOUNT ADAPTER K in black. It has a notice at the bottom saying, Manufactered by Asahi Optical Co. LTD JAPAN. There is no date or part number or other info.

At the moment the only M42 lens I have is a fungus damaged Yashica off my wife's deceased mother's 35mm rangefinder so I don't know which way the top of a Pentax would end up on this adapter or the KALT. I typically use it with my M42 extension tubes and an M42 Bellows to do Micro work (> 1:1).
01-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
At the moment the only M42 lens I have is a fungus damaged Yashica off my wife's deceased mother's 35mm rangefinder so I don't know which way the top of a Pentax would end up on this adapter or the KALT. I typically use it with my M42 extension tubes and an M42 Bellows to do Micro work (> 1:1).
If it is from a rangefinder then it is not M42...