Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2015, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Focus inaccurracy - Part II

Just want to say that all my other threads, regarding the 'issue', were all based on a lemon of a lens. Everything was fantastic with the 55-300 (despite a +1 adjustment), and, I just got the 50/1.8, ran a few (very) low-light tests, and it focused on my baby girl's eye - at 1.8 - every single time (with a -1 adjustment).
So, again, I apologize for the somewhat harsh word I wrote about the focus ability of the K-5 II - although they may have been a frustrated response to the "user error" posts - they should not have happened, and it is not the way I usually behave. It was only a response from a very frustrated newcomer (to a brand and to a forum)...

All the best.

Paul

01-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you got it sorted out. Frustrating start to Pentax, I'm sure.
01-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Glad you got it sorted out. Frustrating start to Pentax, I'm sure.
Thank you. It really was, but now I'm sure we will make good things (images) together...
01-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Frustration can really bring out the worst in you, most of us have been there too, Glad that it's solved!

03-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #5

How I may enhance AF at nite condition with my K-5 using DA50/1.8 & DA18-135 lens? Please give any help. thanks
03-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by faaguinaga Quote
How I may enhance AF at nite condition with my K-5 using DA50/1.8 & DA18-135 lens? Please give any help. thanks
Hold really still when taking the photo.

It works for me.

Also high ISO.

Flash when required.

Use a good tripod, mirror lock up and remote trigger for those long exposures.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

---------- Post added 03-17-15 at 02:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
Just want to say that all my other threads, regarding the 'issue', were all based on a lemon of a lens. Everything was fantastic with the 55-300 (despite a +1 adjustment), and, I just got the 50/1.8, ran a few (very) low-light tests, and it focused on my baby girl's eye - at 1.8 - every single time (with a -1 adjustment).
So, again, I apologize for the somewhat harsh word I wrote about the focus ability of the K-5 II - although they may have been a frustrated response to the "user error" posts - they should not have happened, and it is not the way I usually behave. It was only a response from a very frustrated newcomer (to a brand and to a forum)...

All the best.

Paul

I too had issues with a couple of "dud" lenses. Had them replaced, one replaced twice. With the frustration gone I was a very happy person indeed, and now I have superb copies of the 18-135 (original problem: issues with locking focus) and the 55-300 (original problem: front focus that I could not work with).

Last edited by FreeSpirit9; 03-16-2015 at 10:08 AM.
03-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Focus assist light should be enabled if your subjects don't mind the weird green light.

03-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just had to dial in +4 on my 55-300WR. I finally got the chance (and remembered to do it) this weekend. Seems spot-on now.
04-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by faaguinaga Quote
Aim at something with contrast. Realize how the sensor is a cross type sensor. IIRC it is a + and not a x, right? So you can turn the camera (before focusing) so that the AF sensor crosses the sharp/contrasty point at a 90° angle. You can try it with one of the outmost AF sensors, they are only going in one way, i.e. I. So when you try to focus on a line, and the focus point is going in the same direction as the line, your camera will fail. Turn it, and it will start to catch on. If the line and the sensor form a + then it should focus the fastest and best. With cross type sensors it should be easier to not get it wrong, but you can still assist the AF sensor.
04-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #10

Pls remember focus assist light operates only in AF-S mode (does not operate in AF-C) .