Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

Focus release priority

So in single shot AF this definitely works properly. It won't release until focus is confirmed.

In continuous auto focus even when it's set to focus priority (not release priority) it will trigger shots (in continuous drive mode) way before the first AF confirmation hits. Of course the work around is to get focus first before jamming some shots away, but it seems like it should at least wait until the first one gets a focus confirmation before starting the sequence.

Or is it just me?

01-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe it is supposed to wait till focus confirmation has been achieved for the first image
01-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #3

I can suppose that things may change if you will set focus mode to AF.C.
01-09-2015, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phoned Quote
So in single shot AF this definitely works properly. It won't release until focus is confirmed.

In continuous auto focus even when it's set to focus priority (not release priority) it will trigger shots (in continuous drive mode) way before the first AF confirmation hits. Of course the work around is to get focus first before jamming some shots away, but it seems like it should at least wait until the first one gets a focus confirmation before starting the sequence.

Or is it just me?
You hit the nail on the head. I have tried that feature on my k-5, k-5iis and k-3 but found it pretty useless. I too am often using multi shots such as for BIFs and the focus-priority has never helped that I could tell. Certainly would love for someone to tell me if there is a way to make it behave as it sounds like a great feature...if it worked.

01-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Mine won't Fire until it gets focus when set to AFC
01-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
How did you test it? Perhaps you used a fast focusing lens which got focus before some timer triggered?
01-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I noticed when I was trying to shoot some bif shots.....my K5II wouldn't fire until it had focus....sometimes it wouldn't Fire at all during the approach of a bird I was trying to shoot because it wouldn't catch it in focus.