Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sharpening

I use the JPEGs to check for focus accuracy (on the back LCD) on the fly, but with the 'normal' sharpening, even with a +2 setting, the images never look sharp enough. I've just tried with the 'extra-sharpening', also set to +2 and they do look way better (sharper), but I'm going through an old thread, and the OP mentions the 'fine-sharpening' also with a setting of +2...
I'm wondering if anyone knows the differences, since the manual is almost useless in this matter, and possibly even, if someone uses the sooc JPEGs to their personal use, which other settings might work/look better.
Thank you in advance.

Paul

01-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The sharpening "type" seems to mean Radius (Normal = largest, Extra Fine = smallest) while the +- settings are the amount/strength. I found that for the 18-135, Fine didn't do very much at all. Normal +5 gave the most pleasing results universally, but any kind of XF just produced ugly artefacts on any lens.

Edit: You will notice that, as you increase the amount and decrease the radius, the files get bigger (Normal -5 smallest, XF +5 largest). The images apear to be noisier as well, since the finer sharpening brings out smaller and smaller details.
01-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Are pictures in focus? Maybe you can post a couple of them
01-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
The sharpening "type" seems to mean Radius (Normal = largest, Extra Fine = smallest) while the +- settings are the amount/strength. I found that for the 18-135, Fine didn't do very much at all. Normal +5 gave the most pleasing results universally, but any kind of XF just produced ugly artefacts on any lens.

Edit: You will notice that, as you increase the amount and decrease the radius, the files get bigger (Normal -5 smallest, XF +5 largest). The images apear to be noisier as well, since the finer sharpening brings out smaller and smaller details.
That makes sense. So, the 'fine-sharpening' will be something in-between?

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 09:58 AM ----------

Just checked, and I had the 'fine-sharpening' setting, not the 'extra'. Seems to work nicely...

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 10:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Are pictures in focus? Maybe you can post a couple of them
Yes.
I did have a few 'issues' with some focus inaccuracy, but it was due to a faulty lens. They all went away as soon as the 55-300 stood in front of the sensor, and the 50 is also very accurate, even at 1.8 (though a little soft wide open).