Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 02:11 AM   #1

Multiple exposure combined with wireless pttl flash do not work with Pentax K5?

Hi,

It works with Pentax K 10 and K 20 but not with Pentax K 5. I tryed of the five different cameras with latest firmware 1.16 It looks like the camera as a defect that have not reported yet. At least I have not found anything about it on google.

If anyone can confirm or refute my findings It would help me a lot. This feature is very important my photography. I wish to buy Pentax K 5 II but may forced to buy K 3.

Thanks for the help.

01-11-2015, 05:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 645user Quote
Hi,

It works with Pentax K 10 and K 20 but not with Pentax K 5. I tryed of the five different cameras with latest firmware 1.16 It looks like the camera as a defect that have not reported yet. At least I have not found anything about it on google.

If anyone can confirm or refute my findings It would help me a lot. This feature is very important my photography. I wish to buy Pentax K 5 II but may forced to buy K 3.

Thanks for the help.
Hi! I don't have the classic K-5, I've jumped from K20D to K-5 II. I just tried for you now the multi exposure with wireless PTTL and for me it works (onboard flash set to be just the controller). I have a PENTAX AF 360FGZ flash, and on my first attempt I got just 2 exposures with flash - instead of the 4 set up from the menu (the third exposure went without flash) - but the problem was user error - as I didn't wait enough for the flash to became charged.
01-11-2015, 06:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Caver. Interesting. I try it here with classic K-5 and it does not work. Onboard flash set to be controller, thats how I use the combination too. First flash works fine, second I see how the flash work but the camera does not synchronize more so I can see in the picture only first flash. Multiple exposure works, but not the second flash. But it is good to know that K5 II that thing works. I thought that these two cameras are behaving in the same way.

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2015 at 16:19 ----------

Thank you Caver I got it work. I read that you used 4 exposures (set up the multiple exposure menu ) and I changed just in case the 4 too from default 2 and voila it works. But there is bug it does not work for some reason if there is 2 exposures selected in menu. I've been using K20 so far and borrowed K5 just to know If this camera is suitable for me or not.
01-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My old K-5 (FW 1.16) works well with my Metz 48 AF-1 in SL mode. Did you check the Auto Ev Adjustment ?

01-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
My old K-5 (FW 1.16) works well with my Metz 48 AF-1 in SL mode. Did you check the Auto Ev Adjustment ?
Thank your reply fs999. Do your K-5 and Metz 48 AF works in Sl mode combined with multiple exposure ( 2 exposures set up by camera menu ) Auto Ev adjustment- it have to work both way- checked and unchecked. Resolved the problem for me. Although I think there is a problem with the camera, I got it work. I'm going to have to choose between more than two exposure to get flash to work.
01-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thank you Caver. Interesting. I try it here with classic K-5 and it does not work. Onboard flash set to be controller, thats how I use the combination too. First flash works fine, second I see how the flash work but the camera does not synchronize more so I can see in the picture only first flash. Multiple exposure works, but not the second flash. But it is good to know that K5 II that thing works. I thought that these two cameras are behaving in the same way.

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2015 at 16:19 ----------

Thank you Caver I got it work. I read that you used 4 exposures (set up the multiple exposure menu ) and I changed just in case the 4 too from default 2 and voila it works. But there is bug it does not work for some reason if there is 2 exposures selected in menu. I've been using K20 so far and borrowed K5 just to know If this camera is suitable for me or not.
Good to hear you succeeded! Be sure not to have shutter speed faster than 1/180 - as this is the max sync speed for Pentax cameras. Having shutter speed higher than that stops syncing the flash.
In order to get past the sync speed you need two Pentax PTTL flashes, one on the camera as contoller, and one being slave, plus you have to set up both to HS sync and you also need lots of light... I never used HS flash in wireless mode, but this is how it should work. Somebody with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong.
Good luck!
Btw: what are you shooting with multi exposure and flash? You made me curious!
------------------------- edit --------------------------
I checked how my camera behaves when multi exposure is set to 2 shoots and it works fine, flash is synced for both exposures. Be sure to wait until the flash is ready for the second shot and have your shutter speed below or equal to 1/180. It should work for you.

Last edited by Caver; 01-11-2015 at 11:03 AM.
01-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thank your reply fs999. Do your K-5 and Metz 48 AF works in Sl mode combined with multiple exposure ( 2 exposures set up by camera menu ) Auto Ev adjustment- it have to work both way- checked and unchecked. Resolved the problem for me. Although I think there is a problem with the camera, I got it work. I'm going to have to choose between more than two exposure to get flash to work.
Yes 2, 3 and 4 exposures. I was in Av mode if this can help...
01-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Good to hear you succeeded! Be sure not to have shutter speed faster than 1/180 - as this is the max sync speed for Pentax cameras. Having shutter speed higher than that stops syncing the flash.
In order to get past the sync speed you need two Pentax PTTL flashes, one on the camera as contoller, and one being slave, plus you have to set up both to HS sync and you also need lots of light... I never used HS flash in wireless mode, but this is how it should work. Somebody with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong.
Good luck!
Btw: what are you shooting with multi exposure and flash? You made me curious!
------------------------- edit --------------------------
I checked how my camera behaves when multi exposure is set to 2 shoots and it works fine, flash is synced for both exposures. Be sure to wait until the flash is ready for the second shot and have your shutter speed below or equal to 1/180. It should work for you.
This feature is very handy and useful to me when I am too lazy to carry studio lightings or there is no space for those bulky studio flashes that I have. If there is no space for flasheads, tripods, cables, softboxes and so on – small bathrooms or other small Interiors.

Very good is to do the reproduction. I am often invited to the exhibition halls to take pictures and if the Flash is allowed, then this is a very handy technique. Place camera on a tripod and then I walk one side to the painting or whatever this is and open camera with remote control and I repeat it other side.

I have a relaxing task to students in the media what they always enjoy. One is the photographer. On the other hands I give Af-540fgz flash and the third is a model. In between there will be cooperation and synergy and lot of fun.

These three examples, perhaps open up where and when I use multi exposure and flash. I've uploaded image to illustrate if there is no space to studio flashes and one small 540 fgz can be very useful. But since I have not added images here before I do not know if I did it correctly.

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2015 at 21:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Yes 2, 3 and 4 exposures. I was in Av mode if this can help...
Yes, it is helpful to, Thank you

Attached Images

01-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thank you, yes indeed this is a good technique!
I'm using the multi exposure mostly instead of a ND filter, and I did not combine it with flash yet. But now you gave me ideas Thanks!
By the way, did you sort out what was the problem with your K-5 and multi exposure (2 exposures) + WS flash?
And yes, your photo appeared in the thread. You can also insert a photo from dropbox or other places, you just need the link to the photo and insert it between two shortcodes: [IMG].link to the picture.[/IMG]
01-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Thank you, yes indeed this is a good technique!
I'm using the multi exposure mostly instead of a ND filter, and I did not combine it with flash yet. But now you gave me ideas Thanks!
By the way, did you sort out what was the problem with your K-5 and multi exposure (2 exposures) + WS flash?
And yes, your photo appeared in the thread. You can also insert a photo from dropbox or other places, you just need the link to the photo and insert it between two shortcodes:
No, but I'm going to try tomorrow with another K5 camera. Instead of a ND filter if you`re doing airy landscapes or traffic citiscapes? Thanks for the clue, how to add a picture. Did not know this.
01-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

No, but I'm going to try tomorrow with another K5 camera. Instead of a ND filter if you`re doing airy landscapes or traffic citiscapes? Thanks for the clue, how to add a picture. Did not know this.
Mostly for landscapes (water and waterfalls).