Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 IIs inconsistent exposure

I'm getting some inconsistencies with respect to correct exposure with my K-5 IIs. I can never predict how exactly my exposure will turn out, most of the time the image is overexposed by half to full stop. My old K-x used to always underexpose by half stop, which was perfect for me. Now I have to manually dial the exposure down for some situations. I even have some back to back shots, where exposure decided by camera is completely different.

Am I missing some setting somewhere? What can be wrong here that's leading to inconsistent exposures?

01-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
I'm getting some inconsistencies with respect to correct exposure with my K-5 IIs. I can never predict how exactly my exposure will turn out, most of the time the image is overexposed by half to full stop. My old K-x used to always underexpose by half stop, which was perfect for me. Now I have to manually dial the exposure down for some situations. I even have some back to back shots, where exposure decided by camera is completely different.

Am I missing some setting somewhere? What can be wrong here that's leading to inconsistent exposures?
There are lots of things that could cause that. Can you post an example that shows the issue with EXIF data intact?
01-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Same here, just seems that is how they are. Leave mine at -7 ev.
What I did find after many hours of tedious testing is the metering area is quite small not a lot more
Than center weighted. Try using live view and panning around check the exposure readings and screen. So
If you change the position to fall on to a dark or light item it puts it off.
I also found on Nikon forums the D7000 has the same sensor and same exposure problem, could be related.
Never got any help here except the User Error Excuse but having other cameras that do not have this problem
It seems to be a limitation of the hardware or programming.
01-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
There are lots of things that could cause that. Can you post an example that shows the issue with EXIF data intact?
Only examples I have right now are with people, so I don't want to post them here. I'll try to get some examples when I get time and post. I mostly used center weighted metering in my K-x, so that's what I'm using even now. Have tried using matrix metering without much luck.

I've seen the same behavior with all my lenses, 18-135, DA 50 1.8 and now even Sigma 17-50 f2.8.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Same here, just seems that is how they are. Leave mine at -7 ev.
What I did find after many hours of tedious testing is the metering area is quite small not a lot more
Than center weighted. Try using live view and panning around check the exposure readings and screen. So
If you change the position to fall on to a dark or light item it puts it off.
I also found on Nikon forums the D7000 has the same sensor and same exposure problem, could be related.
Never got any help here except the User Error Excuse but having other cameras that do not have this problem
It seems to be a limitation of the hardware or programming.
-7 ev doesn't sound right to me. It's not that off from actual exposure. Mine is mostly around 1 to 1 1/3 stops off. Considering how popular this camera is, I'm actually pretty sure it's something wrong I'm doing rather than the camera. There are many custom settings that can affect the exposure.

01-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax's metering isn't really that good. I mean, it works, but it has a tendency to be easily fooled. It has been vastly improved in the K3, but the K-5IIs only has a 77 segment metering engine, and that's its biggest limitation. It does ok, but you just need to adjust in post and actively dial in lots of EV. Pentax cameras definitely tend to underexpose; I am surprised you are seeing over exposure. I see it with my Sigma 18-35. When I dial in EV compensation, it's always negative, usually -1 to -1/2.

I had a K110D and that thing was wild with exposures. Like, it would come up with f/8 1/4000 for bright sunny days.
01-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Pentax's metering isn't really that good. I mean, it works, but it has a tendency to be easily fooled. It has been vastly improved in the K3, but the K-5IIs only has a 77 segment metering engine, and that's its biggest limitation. It does ok, but you just need to adjust in post and actively dial in lots of EV. Pentax cameras definitely tend to underexpose; I am surprised you are seeing over exposure. I see it with my Sigma 18-35. When I dial in EV compensation, it's always negative, usually -1 to -1/2.

I had a K110D and that thing was wild with exposures. Like, it would come up with f/8 1/4000 for bright sunny days.
I'm surprised to read this as I didn't have such problem of inconsistent exposure with my K-x. I don't mind if my camera consistently over or under exposes every image, I can safely predict the output in that case. Problem is overexposing only some of my images and need to dial in manual EV compensation to get right exposure.
01-26-2015, 11:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Is it set to meter according to the focus point (custom settings)? That could give an unexpected result???

01-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Is it set to meter according to the focus point (custom settings)? That could give an unexpected result???
That's not it. I've set that to 1.
01-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

In what metering mode are you?
01-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That's not it. I've set that to 1.
All we can do is shout out random things that it might be until you give us something to work with. An example with EXIF would really help.
01-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
In what metering mode are you?
I'm in center weighted metering 99% of the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
All we can do is shout out random things that it might be until you give us something to work with. An example with EXIF would really help.
I know. I'll try to get some example shots this weekend that I can post here.
01-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm in center weighted metering 99% of the time.

I know. I'll try to get some example shots this weekend that I can post here.
Here is another thing you should try.
Let the camera meter, then switch to manual mode and keep the same settings as what the camera set itself to. Take a couple of pictures like that and see if you still have the same issue - random over and under exposed images.
01-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Here is another thing you should try.
Let the camera meter, then switch to manual mode and keep the same settings as what the camera set itself to. Take a couple of pictures like that and see if you still have the same issue - random over and under exposed images.
Thanks. I'll give this a try and post results. Might have to wait till weekend though.
01-31-2015, 09:22 PM   #14

In all honesty, you may want to send it in for service. I bought one a few weeks back and in bright, contrasty situations it would severly overexpose by at least a stop. Other situations as well, but not quite as bad. I've never had any other camera act this way, so I sent it in for service and when it came back it worked the way I expected it to. According to the invoice, they listed complete repair and return to factory specs. Whatever they did specifically I'm not sure, but the difference is noticeable.
02-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chikubi Quote
In all honesty, you may want to send it in for service. I bought one a few weeks back and in bright, contrasty situations it would severly overexpose by at least a stop. Other situations as well, but not quite as bad. I've never had any other camera act this way, so I sent it in for service and when it came back it worked the way I expected it to. According to the invoice, they listed complete repair and return to factory specs. Whatever they did specifically I'm not sure, but the difference is noticeable.
I think this is the issue with my K-5 IIs. After your comment, I'm now noticing that it's indeed overexposing only under certain conditions.

Does the program line setting have any effect on exposure?