Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2015, 05:06 AM   #1

Pentax K5 (stained) sale

Apparently eBay has been having a fire sale on used Pentax K5, mostly with sensor stains. If you look at the history of sold K5 in the past month, you'll see about 30 with sensor stains, sold from ~$80-~$150. If you're willing to take as chance on an untested item and can deal with sensor stains at smaller apertures, it might be worth it.

One listing says the lot was purchased from an auction. There are at least 2-3 sellers who have been releasing a couple, every couple of days. Not all of them are marked with sensor stains, some have a broken lcd or lens release button. They are usually from the Denver area. (Ricoh headquarters is there right?). Makes you wonder where these came from.

02-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just picked up a K7 from Aurora, Colorado with a defective e-dial for a very low price. Camera is pristine with a shutter count of only 251. The front e-dial does have a problem (shutter speed doesn't change or jumps) but this seems to be getting better with use. I was wondering if this was a warranty return that had just been sitting somewhere?
02-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
These are all from CRIS. They stopped pentax service and cleaned out everything they had. these seller bought them in big lot and resell them. Could be a very good deal. dust on sensor usually are pretty easy to clean, or if not too bad, don't bother me at all.
02-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I just picked up a K7 from Aurora, Colorado with a defective e-dial for a very low price. Camera is pristine with a shutter count of only 251. The front e-dial does have a problem (shutter speed doesn't change or jumps) but this seems to be getting better with use. I was wondering if this was a warranty return that had just been sitting somewhere?
who can tell. The failure on K7 e-dial is a very common problem. I got 2 K7 and both end up return/sold for this question.
May i know how much did you pay?

02-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I picked up one of these K-5 cameras with the sensor stains. These stains (not dust) aren't visible in regular use (unless you shoot a lot of at F20). After about 3k shots I am impressed at how much of an improvement it is over my old K10D. Well worth the bargain prices...
02-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
I just picked up a K7 from Aurora, Colorado
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
These are all from CRIS. They stopped pentax service and cleaned out everything they had.
QuoteOriginally posted by Zarkon Quote
After about 3k shots I am impressed at how much of an improvement it is over my old K10D
Do you think these are readily available in the Denver/Aurora area? I thought CRIS was in AZ. I thought it might have been too, but why would a repair center hold on to so many cameras?
Really glad to see a happy user. I'm still debating whether or not it's worth it to me. I'm really like the KS2. But these are low prices for a small risk.
02-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
A little birdie told me that when the K5s were coming back with sensor stains, Ricoh did not want to provide replacement sensors, pay for CRIS to repair them, or pay to have them shipped back the the factory. They were just stockpiled at CRIS for years waiting for Ricoh to make a decision on what to do with them.

02-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
May i know how much did you pay?
I snagged the K7 for $64 US including shipping. It certainly worked out for me, although I wasn't quite certain what I was getting until the camera arrived (description was very brief). I might just have to try for one of those K5!
02-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I snagged the K7 for $64 US including shipping. It certainly worked out for me, although I wasn't quite certain what I was getting until the camera arrived (description was very brief). I might just have to try for one of those K5!
humm K7 devalued a lot than K5, but wow, $64...that's like, free for a dslr..
02-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
there are a couple of k5's that were sold for $60-$70 in the last month
02-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I picked up one of these K-5 cameras with the sensor stains.
How was the physical condition of the K5 you received? Did you upload a photo to find the actual shutter count? It sounds like it is working fine if you have already taken 3K photos.
02-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
How was the physical condition of the K5 you received? Did you upload a photo to find the actual shutter count? It sounds like it is working fine if you have already taken 3K photos.
I would rate the physical condition almost "like new". Shutter is currently at 4731 - most of that were taken by me. Not surprising really, the sensor stain issue affected the earliest batches of the then new K-5 cameras. Those affected cameras were quickly returned by buyers (and sat in storage since) so most of them barely saw much usage at all. Awesome camera if you don't mind the sensor stain issue (not visible in any of the shots I've taken). Do a forum search for the sensor stain issue to get a full idea of what it is and what it isn't. The only thing I've noticed that differentiates it from a regular K-5 is that the serial number on the bottom has been removed.
02-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only thing I've noticed that differentiates it from a regular K-5 is that the serial number on the bottom has been removed.
Interesting, the serial number on my K7 is still there. I did notice that almost everything removable was gone, including the flash hot-shoe cover and the little plug on the sync socket. The cover on the grip contacts was still in place (perhaps people don't loose those as much).
02-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #14

Original Poster
The only thing I've noticed that differentiates it from a regular K-5 is that the serial number on the bottom has been removed.
hah! i wonder if people with replacements just got a new camera with the same serial number. i don't know why would go to that detail and care about it, but it's a possibility.
02-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #15

I'd like to give an advice to people who bought K-5 s with sensor stains.The stained part become bigger and more visible when the sensor is used for a long time in live view.
In my case the spots were barely visible only when the picture is taken towards a blue sky and the distance scale is turned to infinity.But after operating the camera in live view mode for a few minutes,most probably due to a temperature rise on the sensor surface, more stains with a distinctively visible pattern came out.The camera went back for a replacement and my issue is solved.I think it'll be better if you don't use live view and video recording options of your K-5 for better and stainless images.