Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by murattoz Quote
I'd like to give an advice to people who bought K-5 s with sensor stains.The stained part become bigger and more visible when the sensor is used for a long time in live view.
In my case the spots were barely visible only when the picture is taken towards a blue sky and the distance scale is turned to infinity.But after operating the camera in live view mode for a few minutes,most probably due to a temperature rise on the sensor surface, more stains with a distinctively visible pattern came out.The camera went back for a replacement and my issue is solved.I think it'll be better if you don't use live view and video recording options of your K-5 for better and stainless images.
Live View usage contributing to sensor spots was one theory back in the day. Its certainly possible, but the fact is that these cameras are now over 4 years old. The minute amounts of fluid between the glass layers in front of the sensor could easily have evaporated/outgassed from the edges by now. I know that it takes good pictures - nothing else matters...

02-21-2015, 05:17 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have had a sensor stain on my k5 from day one. I tiny splotch near the right side of an image only visible at f16 or smaller. I thought about sending it back when the issue came up but have stuck with it. Spot is still there. I think I've used an aperture that small only a handful of times. It's been a great camera.
02-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zarkon Quote
The only thing I've noticed that differentiates it from a regular K-5 is that the serial number on the bottom has been removed.
Wow, I'm really glad you posted this. There is a new listing on eBay now for K5, who doesn't describe anything about sensor stains, but has the serial number removed and is starting at a higher price. Tricky tricky
02-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

way to ruin the deals.. now everyone knows about these.

02-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #20

Original Poster
it's a price watch board... to help other pentaxians. and the price that you can snag one hasn't gone up since i've posted this.
02-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ppppsssstttt Quote
it's a price watch board... to help other pentaxians. and the price that you can snag one hasn't gone up since i've posted this.

The prices are actually rising now. But that is ok. Actually I'm surprised it took this long for this thread to be started in the marketplace.. These auctions have been on going for a month n ow. they must have a ton of these. I started a thread a few weeks ago about the SD card in the K-r I bought on there.. photos of inside the warehouse -- guy making a pb sammich haha
02-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I photos of inside the warehouse -- guy making a pb sammich haha
nice find

02-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Now that we're at it, I'm curious who dove on these...
Attached Images

02-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ppppsssstttt Quote
Wow, I'm really glad you posted this. There is a new listing on eBay now for K5, who doesn't describe anything about sensor stains, but has the serial number removed and is starting at a higher price. Tricky tricky
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
They've had several 360FGZs listed as well as other Pentx DSLR bodies. The ebay users I've seen so far are "weddingofficiant" and "tlilgero."
ugh. disgusting. the listing i mentioned above sold a serial number less K5 for $400. no description of any defects. and was recently a buyer from tilgero. coincidence?
02-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #25

Wow, I just sold my 7,200 shutter count K5 on ebay and only got $320 for it. And it had a serial number.
02-25-2015, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #26
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Doesn't sound like it. I'd report the seller to eBay.
That is the only issue I see with this.. and a very big potential issue at that. All of the items being sold are initially being sold as 'parts/not working' with all known issues listed (which is OK), but then I suspect some of these are/will be resold as used. Actually, I'm quite sure a lens was already sold here on PF marketplace recently as used but really was one of these parts/notworking items with a story made up. So buyer beware on used items now that the market is flooded with them from these auctions.

On the other hand, I've bought a DA* 16-50 f/2.8, AF540fgz, and a K-r body and all of them work very well. The flash has an issue with the locking ring (it just spins; was listed in the auction details) but the pin works and there is never a real chance of it falling off the camera. There were so many nice lenses initially... tons of FA31 DA55 50-135 etc etc. Most of the FA31's went for around 500 a piece. A few, iirc, had issues with 'grinding' noise when turning the focus ring while others had 'poor focus at low aperture' such I suspect is simple backfocusing. Just fyi.

The real ones to watch are the 50-135 and 16-50 lenses though as there were a shed load of them up with various issues (mostly AF not working which is fine -- switch it to screwdrive or do the sdm trick) but others had larger listed issues. Especially the 50-135 which quite a number had 'loose elements' as the listed issue. Some had completely detached elements visible in the ebay photos.

If the item you are buying has no box and especially no serial number, be wary if you are buying at normal used prices and the item is being listed as used or 'good' condition without any mention of the auctions.
02-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #27

Original Poster
at least with the camera bodies, the serial numbers were removed. did you notice anything the lenses?
02-25-2015, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #28
mee
Veteran Member

Serial number on my 16-50 is intact

Serial number on the K-r missing

Serial number on the AF540fgz missing
02-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #29

yes, I was watching intently as some of those SDM zooms were going by...
Would have picked one or two up if the price had met my threshold (which was fairly low as I look on those as something of a gamble)
Had pulled up all the info on converting to screw drive, so was thinking they could be a real deal, as long as nothing more substantial was wrong with them.

And I did wonder how many of them might end up "resold" after being converted to screw drive, with the reseller hoping no one would notice that the SDM had been disabled.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is the only issue I see with this.. and a very big potential issue at that. All of the items being sold are initially being sold as 'parts/not working' with all known issues listed (which is OK), but then I suspect some of these are/will be resold as used. Actually, I'm quite sure a lens was already sold here on PF marketplace recently as used but really was one of these parts/notworking items with a story made up. So buyer beware on used items now that the market is flooded with them from these auctions.

On the other hand, I've bought a DA* 16-50 f/2.8, AF540fgz, and a K-r body and all of them work very well. The flash has an issue with the locking ring (it just spins; was listed in the auction details) but the pin works and there is never a real chance of it falling off the camera. There were so many nice lenses initially... tons of FA31 DA55 50-135 etc etc. Most of the FA31's went for around 500 a piece. A few, iirc, had issues with 'grinding' noise when turning the focus ring while others had 'poor focus at low aperture' such I suspect is simple backfocusing. Just fyi.

The real ones to watch are the 50-135 and 16-50 lenses though as there were a shed load of them up with various issues (mostly AF not working which is fine -- switch it to screwdrive or do the sdm trick) but others had larger listed issues. Especially the 50-135 which quite a number had 'loose elements' as the listed issue. Some had completely detached elements visible in the ebay photos.

If the item you are buying has no box and especially no serial number, be wary if you are buying at normal used prices and the item is being listed as used or 'good' condition without any mention of the auctions.
02-26-2015, 02:43 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Serial numbers don't just fall off. Theft and fraud is a common reason for erasing serial numbers. Yes, there might be other reasons, but unless I knew the seller was trustworthy I would not accept any item where the serial number was destroyed.